Thread: e-bikes

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default e-bikes

I used to love to ride a bike but when I moved to NC where it's hilly I quickly gave it up. Not just the hills themselves but the roads here are narrow and riders are killed routinely by dumbass drivers. Plus I have a dog so getting exercise involves the mutt and that means hiking through the woods here, and that has proven to be very enjoyable.

Now that my dog is nearing 16 years she tires out after only a mile I'm starting to think about riding again. E-bikes have really taken off and with electric assist for the hills one of the issues with riding is going away. If I buy a fat tire bike I can do trail riding so the traffic issue goes away.

There's a company in Seattle that makes what they call a Rad Rover with a 750 watt wheel motor for $1500. It only weighs 60 pounds and will do 28 mph on the flats and on a 15% grade like we have a lot of here still do a respectable 8.

I'm comparing that with a Raleigh Electric that costs significantly more but has a mid drive Bosch motor. However it's only 350 watts. And they are all sold out on their website.

I like the mid drive system but the price of the wheel motor is difficult to ignore.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Right View Post
    I used to love to ride a bike but when I moved to NC where it's hilly I quickly gave it up. Not just the hills themselves but the roads here are narrow and riders are killed routinely by dumbass drivers. Plus I have a dog so getting exercise involves the mutt and that means hiking through the woods here, and that has proven to be very enjoyable.

Now that my dog is nearing 16 years she tires out after only a mile I'm starting to think about riding again. E-bikes have really taken off and with electric assist for the hills one of the issues with riding is going away. If I buy a fat tire bike I can do trail riding so the traffic issue goes away.

There's a company in Seattle that makes what they call a Rad Rover with a 750 watt wheel motor for $1500. It only weighs 60 pounds and will do 28 mph on the flats and on a 15% grade like we have a lot of here still do a respectable 8.

I'm comparing that with a Raleigh Electric that costs significantly more but has a mid drive Bosch motor. However it's only 350 watts. And they are all sold out on their website.

I like the mid drive system but the price of the wheel motor is difficult to ignore.
    Is $1500 worth it though? Just a regular bike on a hill with less incline, at least at first, should get the job done for you. Unless you're just a gadget guy in which case go go gadget.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    Is $1500 worth it though? Just a regular bike on a hill with less incline, at least at first, should get the job done for you. Unless you're just a gadget guy in which case go go gadget.
    I should change where I live? lol

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This is probably it's nearest competitor, a little less money, but the ride position is to forward for me, and it's not as nicely put together. Same motor, a slightly smaller battery. http://www.voltbike.ca/voltbike-yukon-750.html

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 17 Times in 17 Posts

I found the perfect bike for you FRight;

https://www.electricbike.com/blacktrail-pg-bikes/
    USFREEDOM911 Expresses one of his homosexual prison rape fantasies;
    Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    he may be getting several boners, they just won't be his.
    "You got shot in the balls and you're still walking!! Then this probably won't hurt you at all (as he unzips his pants)."

I would kill someone who didn't pay me, after I give them a blowjob.
    Does that make me insane?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buckly J. Ewer View Post
    I found the perfect bike for you FRight;

https://www.electricbike.com/blacktrail-pg-bikes/
    Seven year old technology? I don't think so.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 17 Times in 17 Posts

Seven year old technology? I don't think so.
    How old are your legs?
    USFREEDOM911 Expresses one of his homosexual prison rape fantasies;
    he may be getting several boners, they just won't be his.
    "You got shot in the balls and you're still walking!! Then this probably won't hurt you at all (as he unzips his pants)."

I would kill someone who didn't pay me, after I give them a blowjob.
    Does that make me insane?

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buckly J. Ewer View Post
    How old are your legs?
    None of your business.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have seen those fat bikes on beaches. Those bikes are awesome! Your dog has lived very long. You are fortunate and sound like a good person to care for the dog like that.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I have seen those fat bikes on beaches. Those bikes are awesome! Your dog has lived very long. You are fortunate and sound like a good person to care for the dog like that.
    She's been a great dog, grew up with my kids and I like to think helped them to learn compassion and responsibility for those who are dependent on others. He favorite is hiking in the Blue Ridge and last weekend we did just under two miles and she made it without having to be carried. I had to help her a bit on some of the bigger rocks. This is at our waypoint, elevation about 5000 feet. The BRP is visible in the background under her chin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Bill (06-08-2017), Sailor (06-08-2017)

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I should change where I live? lol
    If you can't find a 2% incline then maybe yes...you should change where you live...until you get back in shape.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If you can't find a 2% incline then maybe yes...you should change where you live...until you get back in shape.
    Sorry, I prefer where I live for many reasons, and that's not going to change lol

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sorry, I prefer where I live for many reasons, and that's not going to change lol
    I had a problem a couple of years ago. I had surgery and couldn't do what I used to do. I loaded a rucksack with some bricks and walked up hills.

Maybe that'll work for you?

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I had a problem a couple of years ago. I had surgery and couldn't do what I used to do. I loaded a rucksack with some bricks and walked up hills.

Maybe that'll work for you?
    I walk up these hills routinely. When riding, I like to do so at a brisk pace.

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I walk up these hills routinely. When riding, I like to do so at a brisk pace.
    Then stop bitching to the forum. You should have no problem with anything in your vicinity.