Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NPR forced to concede new coal mines are opening

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Default NPR forced to concede new coal mines are opening

As he announced his decision to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement, President Trump said he was putting American jobs ahead of the needs and desires of other countries.

"I was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris," he said Thursday.

Trump said the agreement was "very unfair" for the U.S., especially the U.S. coal industry. And he alluded to some recent good news for the battered industry: the development of new mines.

The Claim: "The mines are starting to open up, having a big opening in two weeks. Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, so many places. A big opening of a brand, new mine. It's unheard of. For many, many years that hasn't happened. They asked me if I'd go. I'm going to try."

Short Answer: Yes, mines are beginning to open up, including a new one in Pennsylvania. But that doesn't reverse the overall decline of the coal mining industry from its glory days.

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/02/531255...es-are-opening

Further down, NPR tried their best to spin the good news but it's a fact: Trump was roundly mocked for promising to bring coal jobs back and it's happening.

MAGA.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Stretch (06-02-2017)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

"I was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris," he said Thursday.

I like that. A lot.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post

I like that. A lot.
    He'll occasionally hit the right note lol.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Sailor (06-02-2017)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,659 Times in 7,357 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,968 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    As he announced his decision to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement, President Trump said he was putting American jobs ahead of the needs and desires of other countries.

Trump said the agreement was "very unfair" for the U.S., especially the U.S. coal industry. And he alluded to some recent good news for the battered industry: the development of new mines.

The Claim: "The mines are starting to open up, having a big opening in two weeks. Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, so many places. A big opening of a brand, new mine. It's unheard of. For many, many years that hasn't happened. They asked me if I'd go. I'm going to try."

Short Answer: Yes, mines are beginning to open up, including a new one in Pennsylvania. But that doesn't reverse the overall decline of the coal mining industry from its glory days.

Further down, NPR tried their best to spin the good news but it's a fact: Trump was roundly mocked for promising to bring coal jobs back and it's happening.

MAGA.
    Trump admits the acquisition of a few dollars today is more important than protecting the environment for EVERYONE's great grandchildren.
    What kind of country have we become?

One in which federal prosecutors can take “evidence” before a “grand jury,”

and that grand jury can “vote to indict” a former president for 91 alleged “crimes”?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ZappasGuitar For This Post:

Cypress (06-02-2017)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

It's interesting, talk about reforming S.S. and Medicare for our grandchildren and you'll hear some liberals head explode, but talk about global warming and they're wiling to do what ever they can to economy today even with the knowledge it will have almost no impact down the road

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Darth Omar (06-02-2017)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    Trump admits the acquisition of a few dollars today is more important than protecting the environment for EVERYONE's great grandchildren.
    Zappa, there is nothing in what Trump did that other countries should not be able to do themselves. If they really want too.

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    He promised to put the country first and he is.

Besides, the numbers just don't work with the Paris accord. It makes no sense to sacrifice jobs for a nominal descrease in global temperatures---and that's assuming the science is right.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Stretch (06-02-2017)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,286 Times in 10,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,908 Times in 4,224 Posts
    Blog Entries

I like that. A lot.
    Except that 60%+ don't think he represents them. The Orange clod only represents his cretinous base.

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    Except that 60%+ don't think he represents them. The Orange clod only represents his cretinous base.
    What they think, and what is reality, are two different things. He is, without a doubt, the President of the United States.

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    If 60% of the US population is so stupid that they don't realize that the president of the United States represents 100% of the population and not just those who voted for him....that sounds like a personal disconnect from reality. Regardless of what the 60% stupid believe or deny....the policies coming from the ONE president effects 100% of the population. I suggest they find a way to live with that reality as they were not smart enough to defeat a reality TV star....a non politician who was running against the (wink, wink) the most qualified person to ever run for POTUS...just how are they going to stop the 100% power from trickling down? Accuse him everyday of a new scandal and cross their fingers? How's that working out?

They bitch about the president separating the United States from the new world order (Climate change as the political engine).....and pay no attention to the fact that this POTUS is opening the Alaskan Oil fields full tilt. The "rope a dope...or rope the dupes"....is very amusing to observe. Left wing ROME is burning to the ground why the left wing power brokers attempt to accuse, accuse, accuse.....it appears that Teflon Don is immune to talk that has no teeth/power and propaganda.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph For This Post:

Darth Omar (06-02-2017)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

He promised to put the country first and he is.

Besides, the numbers just don't work with the Paris accord. It makes no sense to sacrifice jobs for a nominal descrease in global temperatures---and that's assuming the science is right.
    I haven't even seen the science on how what they're proposing makes a difference in global temps.

Trump was right, imo - but his speech was just awful. He just isn't a great communicator. He's still stuck on throwing out red meat for the base & being controversial. When you make a decision that many perceive as that impactful - particularly globally, but also a lot of voters that he needs domestically - you have to pay some lip service to at least feigning concern for the environment.

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,182 Times in 25,717 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

I like that. A lot.
    Mayor Peduto didn't like it. And since 80% of the citizens of Pittsburgh voted for Hillary, he was wrong about representing us. Just as he is about everything else, trump is clueless about Pittsburgh.

PITTSBURGH — In the face of President Trump's "Pittsburgh, not Paris" rhetoric, Mayor Bill Peduto has issued an executive order that stands up for Pittsburgh's commitment to the goals of the Paris climate accord.

"The mention of Pittsburgh was inappropriate. Obviously, the city of Pittsburgh voted overwhelmingly for Hillary Clinton, 80 percent," Peduto said. "Pittsburgh is really the model city in this country of showing how innovation and change, through sustainability, can help to bring back an economy."

My message is to make sure that the rest of this country and the world understands we are not this backwater little town that is suffering and needs to look at our past for our future," Peduto said Friday. "We have built a future on our own, anew economy that has emerged and shown how change and innovation can help lead it."

Peduto's order commits city government to renewable energy, energy saving and reducing greenhouse gases.

"It means everything from starting the conversion of our fleet to hybrids and electric to the ability to create larger tracks of development with renewable energy sources," the mayor said. "It means that we'll look at our buildings and the inefficiencies within them and make them more efficient. We'll look for the best technologies to be able to be a part of that, and look to find, hopefully, locally produced products that we can use."

http://www.wtae.com/article/peduto-i...change/9967241

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

He used them for a prop... Trying to play it off as doing what the ppl want & he is mostly alone in the world & here @ home.... Even the coal industry knows he's full of it...

You would think there would be a big bump in coal stocks???

He needs to get w/ the modern world, make jobs there, not in the past-dirty coal, black lung, etc etc etc.....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 34 Times in 32 Posts

According to the NYT, Hillary won Pittsburgh by 56-40% margin.

She lost Pennsylvania and the election, of course.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/pennsylvania

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,182 Times in 25,717 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

MAGA.
    Yes, a coal mine will be opening in Acosta. A massive seventy jobs. Stop the presses.

Elk Creek in southern WVA opened in 2016 during Obama's term. I don't recall him getting credit for it.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens