Thread: Thousands dropped from food stamps due to work requirements

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Well I didn't want to preach, but it is Sunday, do you need a lil Sunday Schoolin???
    Not me; but there are some JPP liberals who might benefit.

SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Government should not be taxing citizens for the religious beliefs of some (even if a majority). And, it is not just my opinion but prohibited by the the 1st Amendment (if the law mentioned any religious purpose).

Would you object to your tax money going to the Methodist Church so they could help the poor?
    Social welfare programs are not based on religious convictions. They are supported by atheists, agnostics, Muslims, Jews, Christians, and Wicca. By people with religious faith, and by those without.

Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Native American shamans, atheists, Taoists, Buddhists, and agnositcs would probably have a problem giving money to the Methodist and Catholic church to run the nation's food stamps program.

Beyond that, I am not sure it is constitutional to have a government pay churches to run major social programs, it would be untested experiment for which we have no evidence would work, and when this nation did rely on charity it was during the Guilded Age when poverty and destitution were rampant in spite of the efforts of charity.

"In my opinion it is harmful to place important things in the hands of philanthropy, which in Russia is marked by a chance character. Nor should important matters depend on leftovers, which are never there. I would prefer that the government treasury take care of it."

-Anton Chekhov

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-19-2019)

4. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Not me; but there are some JPP liberals who might benefit.

Well it has been a while:

Uuuhhmmm, hummm, Dear Lord, pls bless this pile of worthless wretches tho has set before me, & please grant me the wisdom ~ Pastor Freedom gets the next line...
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

5. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well it has been a while:

Uuuhhmmm, hummm, Dear Lord, pls bless this pile of worthless wretches tho has set before me, & please grant me the wisdom ~ Pastor Freedom gets the next line...
    OH, I'm far from being a pastor; but I have thought about becoming an Ordained Minister, just so I could do marriages and funerals.

Become an Ordained Minister

6. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    The Bible doesn’t talk about many things, it was 2,000 years ago, you’re ignorance astounding.
    God's word is the same today, yesterday, and forever. Time is irrelevant except to those that don't like what it says.

The Bible does talk about homosexuality and how it's an abomination.

7. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,137 Times in 33,847 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    God's word is the same today, yesterday, and forever. Time is irrelevant except to those that don't like what it says.

So is eating shellfish, having sex on your period, and mixing fabrics.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Bill (05-19-2019)

9. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    So is eating shellfish, having sex on your period, and mixing fabrics.
    That's OT. The NT is clear about homosexuality, it's sinful nature, and the "reward" you homosexuals will receive for your choice.

10. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    OH, I'm far from being a pastor; but I have thought about becoming an Ordained Minister, just so I could do marriages and funerals.

Become an Ordained Minister

LOL, I have a friend that does it.. He is kinda kooky anyway, but he gets about 8-10 gigs a year & has a great time & gets new contacts, free food & on occasion lucky w/ some well "seasoned" drunk ladies........

He has done the Mt's, the ocean & a nude weeding once on the beach, although he didn't have to partake (it was optional)..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

11. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

LOL, I have a friend that does it.. He is kinda kooky anyway, but he gets about 8-10 gigs a year & has a great time & gets new contacts, free food & on occasion lucky w/ some well "seasoned" drunk ladies........

He has done the Mt's, the ocean & a nude weeding once on the beach, although he didn't have to partake (it was optional)..

12. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,756 Times in 4,506 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Social welfare programs are not based on religious convictions. They are supported by atheists, agnostics, Muslims, Jews, Christians, and Wicca. By people with religious faith, and by those without.

Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Native American shamans, atheists, Taoists, Buddhists, and agnositcs would probably have a problem giving money to the Methodist and Catholic church to run the nation's food stamps program.

Beyond that, I am not sure it is constitutional to have a government pay churches to run major social programs, it would be untested experiment for which we have no evidence would work, and when this nation did rely on charity it was during the Guilded Age when poverty and destitution were rampant in spite of the efforts of charity.
    Yes, I know social welfare programs are not (necessarily) based on religious convictions. That was my point that when Jesus instructed to help the poor he was not talking to the government and people who do want the government to have these programs do not favor them because of Jesus. That was the point I was making to Phantasmal.

Such church programs are constitutional as long as they keep the federal funded programs separate from religious activities. The faith based initiatives program was established by Bush (White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives (OFBCI) and continued under Obama under a different name. It continues to exist but has no director.

13. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Yes, I know social welfare programs are not (necessarily) based on religious convictions. That was my point that when Jesus instructed to help the poor he was not talking to the government and people who do want the government to have these programs do not favor them because of Jesus. That was the point I was making to Phantasmal.

Such church programs are constitutional as long as they keep the federal funded programs separate from religious activities. The faith based initiatives program was established by Bush (White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives (OFBCI) and continued under Obama under a different name. It continues to exist but has no director.
    A few things for thought.. When Jesus said that those ppl were paying their taxes to Rome, they were also paying their tithe to the Jewish authorties, who were also the religious authorities @ the time, a part of which was used to help the poor, widows etc...

14. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,629 Times in 9,297 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote chapter and verse where Jesus condemned homosexuals.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

15. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,629 Times in 9,297 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's OT. The NT is clear about homosexuality, it's sinful nature, and the "reward" you homosexuals will receive for your choice.
    Jesus condemned homosexuals in what chapter and verse
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

16. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    Jesus condemned homosexuals in what chapter and verse
    It's clear you're afraid of the "reward" you'll receive for being one, faggot.

17. #195 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    Quote chapter and verse where Jesus condemned homosexuals.
    Quote the chapter and verse where God says you being a fag is acceptable.