Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Thousands dropped from food stamps due to work requirements

1. #166 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Did Jesus condemn or speak out against grain dole by the Roman government? Herod also saved his people from public famine, did Jesus condemn it and command that only private charity should exist?
    I was not suggesting Jesus opposed such actions. I was saying his instructions to help the poor was meant for individuals and people should not use that command to justify their political opinions. Supporting food stamps, for example, should be based on its policy value, not some religious reason.

Some issues, like abortion or gay marriage, were made religious issues by many while others favored or opposed these things with no religious feelings about them.

Atheists have opinions about abortion and gay marriage unrelated to any religious beliefs; yet, people were attacked for their beliefs on these issues for trying to impose their religion on others.

2. #167 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,194 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I was not suggesting Jesus opposed such actions. I was saying his instructions to help the poor was meant for individuals and people should not use that command to justify their political opinions. Supporting food stamps, for example, should be based on its policy value, not some religious reason.

Some issues, like abortion or gay marriage, were made religious issues by many while others favored or opposed these things with no religious feelings about them.

Atheists have opinions about abortion and gay marriage unrelated to any religious beliefs; yet, people were attacked for their beliefs on these issues for trying to impose their religion on others.
    That’s your opinion, he commanded us to take care of the poor, whether it be through taxation or private donation, what does it matter.

3. #168 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

That’s your opinion, he commanded us to take care of the poor, whether it be through taxation or private donation, what does it matter.
    Government should not be taxing citizens for the religious beliefs of some (even if a majority). And, it is not just my opinion but prohibited by the the 1st Amendment (if the law mentioned any religious purpose).

Would you object to your tax money going to the Methodist Church so they could help the poor?

4. #169 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 9,300 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I wonder why Mason is stupid enough to think he knows what I do for the poor.......is it because his rationality is deteriorated by his liberalism?.......
    You're taxes pay for foodstamps,outside of that you don't do shit!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

5. #170 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I did not say one word about government programs to help the poor. I was pointing out that the command by Jesus to help the poor was meant for individuals. But, I certainly don't think government should make policy based on something Jesus said--seems like that violates the establishment clause.
    You claiming the foodstamp program was started because of Jesus?
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

6. #171 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Government should not be taxing citizens for the religious beliefs of some (even if a majority). And, it is not just my opinion but prohibited by the the 1st Amendment (if the law mentioned any religious purpose).

Would you object to your tax money going to the Methodist Church so they could help the poor?
    You do it for humanitarian purposes, and for national security. You are only as strong as your weakest link. I believe a vibrant, healthy, educated population is definitely worth my tax dollars.

I am for efficiency, can the Methodist feed the poor more effectively than SNAP?
    Last edited by Phantasmal; 05-19-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Edible caramel fat fingers

7. #172 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Where does it say in the Bible, "through taxation or private donation"; because otherwise, it's just you putting your own spin on it.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

8. #173 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Where does it say in the Bible, "through taxation or private donation"; because otherwise, it's just you putting your own spin on it.
    Where does it say don't do cocaine or Oxycontin?? Asking for friends in W Virginia & Kentucky..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

9. #174 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    You claiming the foodstamp program was started because of Jesus?
    This whole discussion started when I replied to CFM who professes to be a Christian but shows no evidence of his beliefs.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Bill (05-19-2019)

11. #175 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This whole discussion started when I replied to CFM who professes to be a Christian but shows no evidence of his beliefs.
    I think they think if you're a Trump supporter,you get a pass into Christianity!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason Michaels For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-19-2019)

13. #176 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I am surprised he claims to be..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

14. #177 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think they think if you're a Trump supporter,you get a pass into Christianity!
    What does that mean??

15. #178 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I am not sure what or if Flash believes. I’m on his side in some things, keeping church and state separate is one of them.

16. #179 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Where does it say don't do cocaine or Oxycontin?? Asking for friends in W Virginia & Kentucky..
    Is that the best you've got; because you left out the part about free will.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

17. #180 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Is that the best you've got; because you left out the part about free will.
    Well I didn't want to preach, but it is Sunday, do you need a lil Sunday Schoolin???