Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Default Comey's revenge is a gun without powder

Comey's revenge is a gun without powder
    Gregg Jarrett Published May 16, 2017
    Fox News

James Comey was lying in wait.

His gun was cocked, he took aim and fired. But his weapon was empty.

Three months ago, the then-FBI Director met with President Trump. Following their private conversation, Comey did what he always does –he wrote a memorandum to himself memorializing the conversation. Good lawyers do that routinely.

Now, only after Comey was fired, the memo magically surfaces in an inflammatory New York Times report which alleges that Mr. Trump asked Comey to end the Michael Flynn investigation.

Those who don’t know the first thing about the law immediately began hurling words like “obstruction of justice”, “high crimes and misdemeanors” and “impeachment“. Typically, these people don’t know what they don’t know.

Here is what we do know.

Under the law, Comey is required to immediately inform the Department of Justice of any attempt to obstruct justice by any person, even the President of the United States. Failure to do so would result in criminal charges against Comey. (18 USC 4 and 28 USC 1361) He would also, upon sufficient proof, lose his license to practice law. So, if Comey believed Trump attempted to obstruct justice, did he comply with the law by reporting it to the DOJ? If not, it calls into question whether the events occurred as the Times reported it.

Obstruction requires what’s called “specific intent” to interfere with a criminal case. If Comey concluded, however, that Trump’s language was vague, ambiguous or elliptical, then he has no duty under the law to report it because it does not rise to the level of specific intent. Thus, no crime.

There is no evidence Comey ever alerted officials at the Justice Department, as he is duty-bound to do. Surely if he had, that incriminating information would have made its way to the public either by an indictment or, more likely, an investigation that could hardly be kept confidential in the intervening months.

Comey’s memo is being treated as a “smoking gun” only because the media and Democrats, likely prompted by Comey himself, are now peddling it that way.

Comey will soon testify before Congress about this and other matters. His memo will likely be produced pursuant to a subpoena. The words and the context will matter.

But by writing a memo, Comey has put himself in a box. If he now accuses the President of obstruction, he places himself in legal jeopardy for failing to promptly and properly report it. If he says it was merely an uncomfortable conversation, he clears the president of wrongdoing and sullies his own image as a guy who attempted to smear the man who fired him.

Either way, James Comey comes out a loser. No matter. The media will hail him a hero.

After all, he gave them a good story that was better than the truth.

Gregg Jarrett is a Fox News Anchor and former defense attorney.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

anatta (05-17-2017), cancel2 2022 (05-17-2017)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

i literally posted this 3 minutes ago O_O

which is weird cause it's from last night so you and I are in some major synchronicity state.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Well, I was ahead of both of you because I asked this question yesterday. I obviously didn't know the statute referenced here, but common sense guided by experience tells me that if Comey truly felt Trump was trying to obstruct justice he had a duty to report it immediately.

Now what Comey is relying on is a complicit media and democrat party along with dipshits in the GOP who are hell bent on taking Trump down so he believes he has cover.

However, some believe that the reason Comey didn't report it was that he was playing Encyclopedia Jones and "building a case against Trump"

Right now my main beef is with the Republican Party. They should be pushing a conservative agenda no matter what.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Well, I was ahead of both of you because I asked this question yesterday. I obviously didn't know the statute referenced here, but common sense guided by experience tells me that if Comey truly felt Trump was trying to obstruct justice he had a duty to report it immediately.

Now what Comey is relying on is a complicit media and democrat party along with dipshits in the GOP who are hell bent on taking Trump down so he believes he has cover.

However, some believe that the reason Comey didn't report it was that he was playing Encyclopedia Jones and "building a case against Trump"

Right now my main beef is with the Republican Party. They should be pushing a conservative agenda no matter what.
    the problem is comey had a duty to report it, if not then he places himself in legal jeopardy as well. (it would also undermine any claim that trump was actually obstructing..)

So the bottom line is.. no report to the DOJ, then liberals have squat as usual.

Maybe the DOJ kept it a secret for 3 months though. Highly unlikely.

I think this week has revelead how fucking batshit nuts the liberals on this board are.

p.s. my thread was better because I threadbanned all the usual trolls and idiots.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post

Nothing is getting done because all the focus is on this other b.s. Trump is bringing much of this on himself. Purely anecdotal but I've mention I call real estate owners across the country on a daily basis, many of whom are Republicans, and I've heard several people (bring it up themselves) ask what is Trump doing and why isn't he focusing on taxes, health care reform etc instead of all this crap. I ask the same thing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Cancel 2018.2 (05-17-2017)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 34 Times in 32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by {O,O} View Post
    the problem is comey had a duty to report it, if not then he places himself in legal jeopardy as well. (it would also undermine any claim that trump was actually obstructing..)

So the bottom line is.. no report to the DOJ, then liberals have squat as usual.

Maybe the DOJ kept it a secret for 3 months though. Highly unlikely.

I think this week has revelead how fucking batshit nuts the liberals on this board are.

p.s. my thread was better because I threadbanned all the usual trolls and idiots.
    Let's say this is true, right. Because it certainly is on the face of it.

Is Comey really that stupid to not realize it when/if he leaked it? Seems like he's the chump in this. Maybe. haha IDK.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,175 Times in 10,393 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

which is weird cause it's from last night so you and I are in some major synchronicity state.
    Hey, PUSSY

glad to see this one allowed open comment.

Comey will have to answer the question as to why he didn't come forward at the time. But a credibility contest between Orangetweet and him? Really? No contest.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

Cypress (05-17-2017)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    Hey, PUSSY

Comey will have to answer the question as to why he didn't come forward at the time. But a credibility contest between Orangetweet and him? Really? No contest.
    Do you think Comey would win the popular vote? haha it will do him just as much good as it did Old Saggy.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GazzaQueen View Post
    Do you think Comey would win the popular vote? haha it will do him just as much good as it did Old Saggy.
    English is difficult for you.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Oooooh I'm sorry.....guess we were both setting it up at the same time. We must have been having a Vulcan mind-meld or something, LOL

(synchronicity...good album )
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

Hey, PUSSY

banning is for the weak brother domer
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tsuke For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-17-2017)

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

English is difficult for you.
    Gréviti nayánüha Garifuna, numa.

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsuke View Post
    banning is for the weak brother domer
    As I pointed out with this vaginal swab.

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

The federal offense of failure to disclose a felony, if coupled with some act concealing the felony, such as suppression of evidence, harboring or protecting the person performing the felony, intimidation or harming a witness, or any other act designed to conceal from authorities the fact that a crime has been committed.
    Title 18 U.S.C. § 4. Misprision of felony. Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
    A federal judge, or any other government official, is required as part of the judge's mandatory administrative duties, to receive any offer of information of a federal crime. If that judge blocks such report, that block is a felony under related obstruction of justice statutes, and constitutes a serious offense.

http://www.defraudingamerica.com/title_18_usc_4.html

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries