Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U.S. Won’t Spray Opium in Afghanistan Because Crops ‘Might Be Too Close to a Mosque’

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    I'm sure you are correct on that -good point.
    ..the entire war has been a drain on money and manpower with little to show for it.

Nation building a stable Afghanistan is un-doable
    Did you know that growing heroin is a recent phenomenon in Afghanistan largely brought about by US hydrologists attempting to build dams and raising the water table so much in the process that it poisoned the soil with salt. Heroin loves both alkaline and saline soils so it replaced wheat which grew very poorly with tiny yields. This blog by Adam Curtis documents it in some detail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurti...6-10ba64464fe6

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 05-02-2017 at 01:19 AM.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Milagro View Post
    Did you know that growing heroin is a recent phenomenon in Afghanistan largely brought about by US hydrologists attempting to build dams and raising the water table so much that it poisoned the soil with salt. Heroin loves both alkaline and saline soils so it replaced wheat which grew very poorly with tiny yields. This blog by Adam Curtis documents it in some detail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurti...6-10ba64464fe6
    No I didn't; although I do recall something about making Afghanistan into a western styled paradise back during the cold war ( the details elude my memory)--from the link:

but almost immediately things started to go wrong. In 1949 the first, small diversion dam was built. But it raised the level of the water table in the whole area. And that brought salt to the surface.

The American engineers realised this meant that the whole project probably wouldn't work. But at that very moment President Truman made a speech promising to give aid to poor countries. It was the start of the Cold War and Truman was going to use development projects and American money to stop countries from becoming communist.

The Americans liked dams. They were a way of challenging the communists because they would create more fertile land - so people could be better off without having to redistribute land through a revolution. In 1952 the Helmand Valley Authority was set up. It was modelled on the Tennessee Valley Authority - the TVA - created by Roosevelt in the 1930s.

Faced with this the engineers' doubts about the project were buried and forgotten. Massive loans poured in from America and two giant dams were built plus 300 miles of big canals.

But more problems emerged. Everything became waterlogged which led to weeds. Salt kept on suddenly appearing. And the reservoirs and the canals made the water cooler which meant that there couldn't be any vineyards and orchards any longer. In future they could only grow grain.
    Of course we had no real business in Afghanistan but the Cold War 1,0 distorted everything into a zero sum game between the US/west and the USSR.

Sidebar:
    i did get some either Pakistani or Afghan hashish back in the 70's.
    it was opiated with white stripes, and very shiny and coal black and very soft/malleable.
    This was back when weed in the USA was all Mexican scrub- so it was a fine pleasure to smoke imported hashish
    Kissinger: “demonization of Vladimir Putin is not a policy; it is an alibi for the absence of one.”
    ________

Cold War 2.0 Russia hysteria is turning people’s brains into guacamole.
    We’ve got to find a way to snap out of the propaganda trance
    ________

Buddha: "trust the person who seeks truth and mistrust the person who claims he has found it "
    1.2.3.4.5.6.7. All Good Children Go to Heaven

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No I didn't; although I do recall something about making Afghanistan into a western styled paradise back during the cold war ( the details elude my memory)--from the link:

Of course we had no real business in Afghanistan but the Cold War 1,0 distorted everything into a zero sum game between the US/west and the USSR.

Sidebar:
    i did get some either Pakistani or Afghan hashish back in the 70's.
    it was opiated with white stripes, and very shiny and coal black and very soft/malleable.
    This was back when weed in the USA was all Mexican scrub- so it was a fine pleasure to smoke imported hashish
    Back in the day, there used to be a lot of Afghan Black about in the UK, it came in blocks and was almost pure resin. Incredible stuff, obviously a thing of the past now.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

anatta (04-30-2017), Rune (05-02-2017)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Back in the day, there used to be a lot of Afghan Black about in the UK, it came in blocks and was almost pure resin. Incredible stuff, obviously a thing of the past now.

an older friend of a friend body taped it and brought it back.
    Midnight Express (movie) sort of thing but was successful-and Afghan not Turkey.
    Kissinger: “demonization of Vladimir Putin is not a policy; it is an alibi for the absence of one.”
    ________

________

Buddha: "trust the person who seeks truth and mistrust the person who claims he has found it "

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

^ I misread.

Ya or just keep a steady stalemate going, bleeding for nothing really except full Taliban takeover
    I still believe that @ some point the Neo Talliband will take over, w/ the full blessing of the USA...

They will be re-branded but they will be the same players, or their children........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

an older friend of a friend body taped it and brought it back.
    Midnight Express (movie) sort of thing but was successful-and Afghan not Turkey.
    Fuck that was an incredibly dangerous thing to do especially going through Turkey or Iran.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I still believe that @ some point the Neo Talliband will take over, w/ the full blessing of the USA...
    They will be re-branded but they will be the same players, or their children........
    yep..it;s inevitable
    ________

________

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Fuck that was an incredibly dangerous thing to do especially going through Turkey or Iran.

very early 70's..I don't know if he came back thru those countries, but it's a good possibility.
    It's completely undoable to even carry a gram these days. He had a kilo brick
    ________

________

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

very early 70's..I don't know if he came back thru those countries, but it's a good possibility.
    It's completely undoable to even carry a gram these days. He had a kilo brick
    He wouldn't have a choice, going through Pakistan or the Soviet Union would have been nigh on impossible, not to say lethal, back then.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

He wouldn't have a choice, going through Pakistan or the Soviet Union would have been nigh on impossible, not to say lethal, back then.
    ya. he would have had to come back thru Europe..It was one of those things that would never happen today
    -i can't even conceive of it..but the hash was nice..
    ________

________

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Whose sock is Bill?