Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Billy's Gun Thread 1.0

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 698 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Default Billy's Gun Thread 1.0

Ok before I go anywhere with this let's get this out of the way. If you're going to shitpost, or I just don't like you, don't post in the thread. I'll just close it and merge it with one you're banned from. Your post will be gone and no one will read it. I don't feel like typing out the list of everyone I hate, because that's most of you. So let's just save both you and me some time and not have you post here, ok?

Now that that's out of the way (until one of you dipshits inevitably ignores what I just said), it's been awhile since I posted any gun stuff. And boy oh boy, has my collection expanded since I did.

Let's start with my Lebel 1886 from 1889. The world's first smokeless powder rifle, and the main French gun of WW1, though they served out in the colonies until after WW2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peridot For This Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (05-05-2017), Mott the Hoople (04-29-2017)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

After that I got a Greek Mannlicher (yes yes, it's pronounced exactly how you think). Probably the most expensive bolt action service rifle ever created, the adoption of this by Greece definitely helps explain their debt crisis. Regardless it's a very nice and smooth rifle, and somewhat rare to see with the crest intact.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot For This Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (05-05-2017)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott isn't Funny View Post
    After that I got a Greek Mannlicher (yes yes, it's pronounced exactly how you think). Probably the most expensive bolt action service rifle ever created, the adoption of this by Greece definitely helps explain their debt crisis. Regardless it's a very nice and smooth rifle, and somewhat rare to see with the crest intact.
    Beautiful craftsmanship.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Beautiful craftsmanship.
    Yes that's what they're renowned for, even today. It's one of the few (possibly only) rifles that's more valuable as a sporter than in its military configuration.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Up next is another fine piece of craftsmanship, the Swiss K31. Over the past couple of years these have become extremely popular and have basically went up 5x in price. I'm not a big fan of the rifle personally but I can sort of see the appeal.

Also a good example of why cloudy days are the best for taking pictures. One day I'll re-do these pictures.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot For This Post:

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

that looks dope.

how much is your total gun collection worth if you dont mind me asking?

---

Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by {O,O} View Post
    that looks dope.

how much is your total gun collection worth if you dont mind me asking?
    It's hard to say, the market is always changing. It's insured for 85,000 though. But guns can lose a lot of value depending on what people want to buy. Right now military surplus (the bulk of what I collect) is hot, partly because there isn't much impending threat of legislation and partly because of an increased interest in history. But on the other side of the coin that makes things like my RFB less valuable.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Since Grind asked about value I figure I'll skip ahead to one of the more rare and valuable pieces.

This is a Japanese Type 30 carbine. This was Japans first native design that used smokeless powder, as well as the somewhat famous 6.5x50 round. What's really interesting is the story of their use. Their first war was the Russo-Japanese war of 1905-06. After that Japan thought the design was flawed and they shelved the Type 30 for the Type 38. But during WW1 Japan and Russia were allies. And Russia needed rifles badly (they were losing 200,000 a month on average). So Japan sold their obsolete, 2nd line Type 30 rifles to Russia (and Britain). From there the Russian rifles were given/taken by the Finns after they gained independence and were used in the Finnish civil war. They later stayed in inventory with Finland because they needed guns badly and didn't have the industry to make them themselves. So that means they would bemused in the Winter War against Russia AGAIN, and the Continuation War (the Finnish participation in WW2). Since there were only about 30,000 of these made in the first place, they're pretty rare and don't come up often. But I lucked out and found one back in February.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peridot For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (04-30-2017), FUCK THE POLICE (05-05-2017)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

that's awesome.

you really like guns.

---

Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes that's what they're renowned for, even today. It's one of the few (possibly only) rifles that's more valuable as a sporter than in its military configuration.
    it appears it would be. I'd imagine it's spot on accurate too? I bet the bolt action is smooth as butter making it easier to reaquire your target.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Up next is another fine piece of craftsmanship, the Swiss K31. Over the past couple of years these have become extremely popular and have basically went up 5x in price. I'm not a big fan of the rifle personally but I can sort of see the appeal.

Also a good example of why cloudy days are the best for taking pictures. One day I'll re-do these pictures.
    I like the stock. Very nice grain. I'm assuming it's curly maple? Looks clunky compared to the Leder and Mannlicher.

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Since Grind asked about value I figure I'll skip ahead to one of the more rare and valuable pieces.

This is a Japanese Type 30 carbine. This was Japans first native design that used smokeless powder, as well as the somewhat famous 6.5x50 round. What's really interesting is the story of their use. Their first war was the Russo-Japanese war of 1905-06. After that Japan thought the design was flawed and they shelved the Type 30 for the Type 38. But during WW1 Japan and Russia were allies. And Russia needed rifles badly (they were losing 200,000 a month on average). So Japan sold their obsolete, 2nd line Type 30 rifles to Russia (and Britain). From there the Russian rifles were given/taken by the Finns after they gained independence and were used in the Finnish civil war. They later stayed in inventory with Finland because they needed guns badly and didn't have the industry to make them themselves. So that means they would bemused in the Winter War against Russia AGAIN, and the Continuation War (the Finnish participation in WW2). Since there were only about 30,000 of these made in the first place, they're pretty rare and don't come up often. But I lucked out and found one back in February.
    I can see it's value for being rare...but I like the Greek Mannlicher. I'm mildly surprised that the Greeks manufactured a rifle of that quality.

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by {O,O} View Post
    that's awesome.

you really like guns.
    I like history in general. But I can't use my 100 year old Singer sewing machine like I can my 130 year old Lebel. And the story of the sewing machine isn't as interesting to me as the story of the French army in WW1. Old guns are probably the easiest way to connect to the past.
    it appears it would be. I'd imagine it's spot on accurate too? I bet the bolt action is smooth as butter making it easier to reaquire your target.
    It's accurate but my Lebel beats it. The Lebel is surprisingly smooth as well, but no match in that department for the Mannlicher.
    I like the stock. Very nice grain. I'm assuming it's curly maple? Looks clunky compared to the Leder and Mannlicher.
    No, it's a walnut of some kind. And it is much bulkier. Part of that is the way the action works but it's also just the way the Swiss like their rifles.
    I can see it's value for being rare...but I like the Greek Mannlicher. I'm mildly surprised that the Greeks manufactured a rifle of that quality.
    They didn't. The Greeks couldn't make the the Mannlicher. It was produced under contract by OWG Steyr of Austria. Which became a big problem in WW1 when the Austrians ended up opposing the Greeks. The same problem happened to the Romanians.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (05-02-2017)

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This here is another rifle of interesting lineage. It's a Gewehr 88/05/35 of Turkey. The Turks, being German allies in WW1 got a lot of German guns as aid. Among these was the Gewehr 88, Germanys response to thr adoption of the Lebel by the French. The Gewehr 88 also serves as the basis for a bunch of other rifles like the Greek Mannlicher I showed earlier. Anyways, these rifles were given to Turkey during WW1. After the war the Turks found themselves with a collection of different rifles and wanted to standardize. But they were also poor as fuck. So instead of having one rifle, they modified what they had to be as similar in terms of handling as possible with the Mauser 98 style rifles that they wanted. This included switching the rifle from a Mannlicher clip system to a stripper clip on, changing the sights, and refitting the front of the muzzle to accept the same bayonet.

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ok, where was I?

This here is a British (sort of) P14 rifle. The British were looking to replace the now famous SMLE rifle in 1914 and were just about to when WW1 popped up. Obviously they're not going to change rifles mid-war but they still had a problem. They were short millions of guns and combat was quickly eating up what ones they had. So they brought the P14, the rifle they wanted to replace the SMLE before the war, to Remington, Winchester and Eddystone. Incidentally this would lead to the Americans adopting this rifle (in 30-06 as opposed to 303) as a supplement to the 1903 Springfield. But because production was already in full swing for the P14 and it was easier and faster to produce than the 1903, the American forces had more M1917 enfields (their designation) in Europe than 1903s. By about 3 to 1 in factm

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot For This Post: