Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    You sure about that?

These were easy to find:

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...hlight=deficit

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...hlight=deficit

Stop lumping me in w/ "Joe Liberal." When you say "you," mean "you."
    Whats hilarious is that you blame Rush Limbaugh and Republicans when Obama and the Dems controlled everything
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    It is astounding how naive JPP conservatives are when it comes to cutting taxes and the supposed "benefits" to workers.

Over and over and over and over they are told how "trickle down " is the answer to all their prayers, only to watch as the rich take their new tax cut and squirrel away any added profits while nothing ever seems to "trickle down" to them.

You think they keep their money in pillowcases in the closet, don't you...and the poor create jobs.....you're an idiot....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    Whats hilarious is that you blame Rush Limbaugh and Republicans when Obama and the Dems controlled everything
    Those threads were from 2013.

What's hilarious is that you think the Dems controlled everything in 2013.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

And the estate tax elimination is ridiculous.

That perpetuates the aristocracy, which even the founders warned against.

really? the founders argued for the government confiscating peoples property as a means to dealing with aristocracy?

can you support that? or are you just making an assumption not supported by fact?

So how much of one's wealth do you think is sufficient for them to dispose of after they pass on? What percentage?

Are you willing to apply these estate taxes to persons regardless of net worth? If not why not?

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I can see why Thingy thinks we should feel conned by the Donald.

I mean after all during the campaign he said he was going to raise taxes on the rich. Oh wait, he said he was going to CUT taxes. Now he is doing what he said he was going to do.

I don't think Thingy really knows what the word conned means?

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    really? the founders argued for the government confiscating peoples property as a means to dealing with aristocracy?

can you support that? or are you just making an assumption not supported by fact?

So how much of one's wealth do you think is sufficient for them to dispose of after they pass on? What percentage?

Are you willing to apply these estate taxes to persons regardless of net worth? If not why not?
    Oh, yay. A pop quiz, from a guy who apparently knows nothing on this subject.

Before I go digging up quotes, let's hear it from you: do you think the founders had nothing to say about passing wealth between generations, and the concept of an estate tax?

Let's get a statement of ignorance before I post evidence.

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Jefferson, Franklin, Madison and many other leaders from our inception warned against the dangers of inherited wealth. Remember, our country was basically started because of the oppressive nature of the aristocracy we escaped.

That is more of a moral issue than what you suggest. And the estate tax is just that - a tax. It still allows for inheritance, and only kicks in at a certain level.
    The founders rejection of aristocracy was a political issue.

OTOH taxing people coming and going their whole lives, only to tax them one last time for having the audacity to die, is immoral.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

8. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,611 Times in 7,328 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,966 Times in 1,782 Posts

You think they keep their money in pillowcases in the closet, don't you...and the poor create jobs.....you're an idiot....
    ROFL!

More petty derision to mask your ignorance.

NO, the rich don't keep their money in pillowcases, they use offshore tax havens you incredible moron.
    What kind of country have we become?

One in which federal prosecutors can take “evidence” before a “grand jury,”

and that grand jury can “vote to indict” a former president for 91 alleged “crimes”?

9. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,363 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Zap you never answered what Trump proposed on the campaign and what he's proposing here that was so different that his voters all got fooled?

10. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,574 Times in 2,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 153 Posts

And you think they'll just give more money to the American economy than they absolutely have to.

11. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Oh, yay. A pop quiz, from a guy who apparently knows nothing on this subject.

Before I go digging up quotes, let's hear it from you: do you think the founders had nothing to say about passing wealth between generations, and the concept of an estate tax?

Let's get a statement of ignorance before I post evidence.
    I know a good deal on this subject.

Here are a couple of quotes for you

“To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association.” Thomas Jefferson

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. — I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer Benjamin Franklin

Now, I am sure you will find some extraneous quote that you think supports your position that the government should confiscate property and dole it out to others. However, nothing in the Constitution as originally written supported that thesis. In fact, until the the Income Tax was passed, it was widely held that direct taxation was forbidden by the Constitution. An estate tax is by definition a direct tax.

With that said, would you support an estate tax on all households? Why just the rich? Why do some get to pass down wealth and not others? Also, how are you being harmed because Paris Hilton inherits billions of dollars? Do you somehow think you have been cheated by the Hiltons?

12. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

“To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association.” Thomas Jefferson

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. — I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer Benjamin Franklin

Now, I am sure you will find some extraneous quote that you think supports your position that the government should confiscate property and dole it out to others. However, nothing in the Constitution as originally written supported that thesis. In fact, until the the Income Tax was passed, it was widely held that direct taxation was forbidden by the Constitution. An estate tax is by definition a direct tax.

With that said, would you support an estate tax on all households? Why just the rich? Why do some get to pass down wealth and not others? Also, how are you being harmed because Paris Hilton inherits billions of dollars? Do you somehow think you have been cheated by the Hiltons?
    Quite the 'liberal' that Jefferson lol.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

13. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You'll notice that Franklin & Jefferson are speaking about regular taxes there - not the estate tax.

I don't personally feel cheated by the Hiltons, but that's oversimplifying. The more inherited wealth is passed on without taxation, the more wealth will become concentrated in a smaller % of the population. Essentially, a new aristocracy, composed of people who did little or nothing to earn the millions or billions bestowed upon them.

It makes for some problematic math as time goes on. Because the gap will just continue to grow. No one is suggesting that nothing be passed on. But at a certain level, it should be taxed.

That's really not even a lefty thing. Quite a few conservatives agree w/ the concept of the estate tax.

14. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

i think its immoral to set the tax at 39% and then expect it to cheat it down to 15%
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

15. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,795 Times in 32,158 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Stop lumping me in w/ "Joe Liberal." When you say "you," mean "you."
    /shrugs......so, it's you liberal then.......