Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chelsea Clinton to run for office?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,966 Times in 32,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    I assume you've read about where Trump's $41 million '17 fundraising # came from, correct?
    the CGI?......

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Chelsea Clinton’s Branding as Resistance Spokesperson Is Backfiring Miserably
    http://observer.com/2017/04/chelsea-...mp-resistance/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2018.1 For This Post:

cawacko (04-25-2017)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I hope not. Republicans hate her for no reason. Built in hate.
    I have a pretty good reason. She's hrc's daughter.
    I don't know what republican's problem is with her.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I'd be curious who Democrats would support in a Chelsea vs. Michelle O race; or Hillary vs. Michelle O.

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I'd be curious who Democrats would support in a Chelsea vs. Michelle O race; or Hillary vs. Michelle O.
    I don't care about Clintons running ever again - but Michelle O. is an exciting prospect for most Dems. Smart, charismatic and a great speaker.

I heard she's not the least bit interested, though. Which, of course, is also a plus.

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 34 Times in 32 Posts

Michelle and Chelsea 2024.

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    I have a pretty good reason. She's hrc's daughter.
    I don't know what republican's problem is with her.
    She's got crooked genes from mom Hillary and dad Web Hubbell.

chelweb.jpg
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

chelweb.jpg
    Just when I was starting to not hate you as much.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

chelweb.jpg
    Those ugly genes don't help.

11. The Following User Groans At Cancel 2018.1 For This Awful Post:

christiefan915 (04-25-2017)

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

we need amendment to ban the children and grandchildren and the brothers, sisters, cousins of a former president from being able to run. Our population is too stupid and dynasty is a dangerous thing.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BRUTALITOPS For This Post:

The Sage of Main Street (04-26-2017)

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,089 Times in 33,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by {O,O} View Post
    we need amendment to ban the children and grandchildren and the brothers, sisters, cousins of a former president from being able to run. Our population is too stupid and dynasty is a dangerous thing.
    I think that is an idea that could use some thought, what about lobbying? Would you restrict them from becoming lobbyist after holding office?

15. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I hope not. Republicans hate her for no reason. Built in hate.
    It's like how liberals all hate Jeb Bush. They're sick of seeing the over-privileged types. Chelsea strikes me as very mediocre at best. She's all brand name and little substance and it's annoying the way the left leaning media fawn all over her as she serves up big nothing sandwiches. Yeah, it must be so tough getting across the plate when you're born on third base.

16. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,182 Times in 25,717 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    There's at least one liberal group (author) that doesn't want her to.

PLEASE, GOD, STOP CHELSEA CLINTON FROM WHATEVER SHE IS DOING

The last thing the left needs is the third iteration of a failed political dynasty.

Amid investigations into Russian election interference, perhaps we ought to consider whether the Kremlin, to hurt Democrats, helped put Chelsea Clinton on the cover of Variety. Or maybe superstition explains it. Like tribesmen laying out a sacrifice to placate King Kong, news outlets continue to make offerings to the Clinton gods. In The New York Times alone, Chelsea has starred in multiple features over the past few months: for her tweeting (it’s become “feisty”), for her upcoming book (to be titled She Persisted), and her reading habits (she says she has an “embarrassingly large” collection of books on her Kindle). With Chelsea’s 2015 book, It’s Your World, now out in paperback, the puff pieces in other outlets—Elle, People, etc.—are too numerous to count.

One wishes to calm these publications: You can stop this now. Haven’t you heard that the great Kong is no more? Nevertheless, they’ve persisted. At great cost: increased Chelsea exposure is tied closely to political despair and, in especially intense cases, the bulk purchasing of MAGA hats. So let’s review: How did Chelsea become such a threat?

Perhaps the best way to start is by revisiting some of Chelsea’s major post-2008 forays into the public eye. Starting in 2012, she began to allow glossy magazines to profile her, and she picked up speed in the years that followed. The results were all friendly in aim, and yet the picture that kept emerging from the growing pile of Chelsea quotations was that of a person accustomed to courtiers nodding their heads raptly. Here are Chelsea’s thoughts on returning to red meat in her diet: “I’m a big believer in listening to my body’s cravings.” On her time in the “fiercely meritocratic” workplace of Wall Street: “I was curious if I could care about [money] on some fundamental level, and I couldn’t.” On her precocity: “They told me that my father had learned to read when he was three. So, of course, I thought I had to too. The first thing I learned to read was the newspaper.” Take that, Click, Clack, Moo.

Chelsea, people were quietly starting to observe, had a tendency to talk a lot, and at length, not least about Chelsea. But you couldn’t interrupt, not even if you’re on TV at NBC, where she was earning $600,000 a year at the time. “When you are with Chelsea, you really need to allow her to finish,” Jay Kernis, one of Clinton’s segment producers at NBC, told Vogue. “She’s not used to being interrupted that way.”

Sounds perfect for a dating profile: I speak at length, and you really need to let me finish. I’m not used to interruptions.

What comes across with Chelsea, for lack of a gentler word, is self-regard of an unusual intensity. And the effect is stronger on paper. Unkind as it is to say, reading anything by Chelsea Clinton—tweets, interviews, books—is best compared to taking in spoonfuls of plain oatmeal that, periodically, conceal a toenail clipping.

Take the introduction to It’s Your World (Get Informed! Get Inspired! Get Going!). It’s harmless, you think. “My mom wouldn’t let me have sugary cereal growing up (more on that later),” writes Chelsea, “so I improvised, adding far more honey than likely would have been in any honeyed cereals.” That’s the oatmeal—and then comes the toenail:

I wrote a letter to President Reagan when I was five to voice my opposition to his visit to the Bitburg cemetery in Germany, because Nazis were buried there. I didn’t think an American president should honor a group of soldiers that included Nazis. President Reagan still went, but at least I had tried in my own small way.

Ah, yes, that reminds me of when I was four and I wrote to Senator John Warner about grain tariffs, arguing that trade barriers unfairly decreased consumer choice.

At first glance, of course, Chelsea seems to be boasting that at age five she was interpreting the news with the maturity of an adult. But we should consider whether it’s instead a confession that as an adult she still interprets the news with the maturity of—well, let’s just submit that perhaps she thinks what other people tell her to think. Which brings us to Chelsea’s Twitter feed.

Since Chelsea has 1.6 million followers, we can only conclude that some people enjoy ideas like “Yes. Yes. Yes. Closing the #wagegap is crucial to a strong economy.” And maybe there’s no sin in absorbing and exuding nothing but respectable Blue State opinion. But it’s another thing to insist on joining each day’s designated outrage bandwagon. Did we need to slap down a curmudgeonly Charlotte Rampling, age 71, for griping about #OscarsSoWhite activists? Yes, and here’s Chelsea: “Outrageous, ignorant & offensive comments from Rampling.” Is gender identity not going to be included on the 2020 census? Here’s Chelsea: “This is outrageous. No one should be invisible in America.” Not that there aren’t breaks for deeper thoughts: “Words without action are ... meaningless. Words with inaction are ... just words. Words with opposite action is ... hypocrisy.”

That is … beautiful.

The crude conventional wisdom is that Bill Clinton craved adoration and Hillary Clinton craved power. But Chelsea Clinton seems to have a more crippling want: fashionability—of the sort embraced by philanthropic high society. So you tell The New York Times that your dream dinner party would include James Baldwin, Shakespeare, Franz Kafka, Albert Camus, Jane Jacobs, and Jane Austen, and discussion would be about how “people and communities can evolve to be more inclusive, more kind, have a greater and broader sense of solidarity, while still respecting individual liberties; what provokes or blocks those changes; and what stories might resonate today to encourage us toward kindness, respect, and mutual dignity.” You almost have to bow down before someone who could host Shakespeare for dinner and make the agenda wind up sounding like a brochure for the Altria Group. At least Kafka would be on hand to capture the joy of the evening.

To find fault with the former First Daughter is to invite the wrath of thousands. Love of Chelsea correlates closely with love of Hillary, toward whom her fans have long felt an odd protectiveness, as if she were a stroke survivor regaining the power of speech rather than one of the most influential people in the world. That goes even more for Chelsea, who is often treated less like an independent 37-year-old multi-millionaire and more like the 12-year-old who still deserves to be left alone.

But let’s have a reality check. No one bothers George W. Bush’s daughter, Barbara Bush, who quietly works on her nonprofit, Global Health Corps. On the other hand, if you’re posing for magazine covers, granting interviews, doing book tours, placing your name on your parents’ multi-million-dollar foundation, and tweeting out daily to 1.6 million people, then—guess what—you’re a public figure. And if you’ve openly entertained the possibility of running for office if “it was something I felt called to do,” then assurances to the contrary aren’t quite good enough. You’re a public hazard.

God has decreed that American political dynasties decline sharply in suitability for office with each iteration. Call it the George H.W.-George W.-Jeb rule. Quit after the first iteration. Don’t trot out the second one. And, for the love of God, don’t trot out the third. Forgetting that rule harmed the Democratic Party in 2016 and blew up the Republican Party entirely. The Democratic Party is surprisingly cohesive these days, thanks to anti-Trump sentiment, so a Jeb-style destruction is unlikely. But never say never. If anyone could make it happen, Chelsea could.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/...r-she-is-doing
    That's what I said when trump appointed Ivanka to be his right-hand man.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

17. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    That's what I said when trump appointed Ivanka to be his right-hand man.
    Is that your way of saying you agree with the author and don't want Chelsea running?

18. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,182 Times in 25,717 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    Ivanka is far more intelligent and poised.
    Wasn't there an email from the DNC gang that described Chelsea as "dumb as a box of rocks "?

Edit: not quite. DUH! John Podesta thinks Chelsea Clinton is ‘not smart’ (aka DUMB), via WikiLeaks http://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2016/11...via-wikileaks/ http://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/11...-is-not-smart/
    Dream on. Chelsea has a Ph.D from Oxford, two Masters and an undergrad degree. With high honors. Ivanka has a cheesy BA in economics and guested on reality shows.

Your snark can't take away from Chelsea's brilliance.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

19. The Following User Groans At christiefan915 For This Awful Post:

The Sage of Main Street (04-26-2017)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Cypress (04-25-2017)