Thread: New Orleans Begins Tearing Down Confederate Statues -- APPLAUSE

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default New Orleans Begins Tearing Down Confederate Statues -- APPLAUSE

A statue honoring white supremacists who killed members of the city’s post-Civil War integrated police force was the first to come down.

New Orleans has taken a first major step in fulfilling its 2015 promise to tear down four prominent Confederate statues, an attempt to scrub the city’s public spaces of what many see as white supremacist symbols.

City workers began removing the Battle of Liberty Place statue at 1:25 a.m. Monday in an effort to avoid disruption by protesters who want the monuments to stay, reported The Associated Press. Erected in 1891, the obelisk honors members of the Crescent City White League, a group of all-white Confederate veterans who killed members of the city’s post-Civil War integrated police force.

Mayor Mitch Landrieu (D) tweeted that the statues*“do not represent the diversity” of New Orleans.

Statues commemorating Confederate Gens. Robert E. Lee and P.G.T. Beauregard as well as Jefferson Davis (the first ― and only ― president of the Confederate States of America) will be removed in the coming days. All four of the structures will be relocated to a museum or another “place where they can be put in historical context,” according to a press release issued by the mayor’s office*

The city’s decision to tear down the statues was prompted by the 2015 massacre at historic Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina, where white supremacist Dylann Roof shot and killed nine black churchgoers. Nearly six months after the attack, the New Orleans City Council voted 6-1 in favor of removing the monuments.

--

Many residents of New Orleans, a predominantly African-American city, have spoken out in support of the move. Landrieu first proposed the idea and it gained momentous support from the city’s black residents, though legal backlash prevented the structures from being removed sooner.

New Orleans is the latest Southern institution to push back against public monuments honoring their Confederate roots, a movement that gained force following the 2015 church shooting.

Soon after, South Carolina passed legislation to remove Confederate flags from its State House grounds. Alabama and Mississippi also decided to remove the banners.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000009
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

Cypress (04-24-2017), FUCK THE POLICE (04-24-2017)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

I applaud this action also but N.O. as a city sucks.
    You started a thread about Broken Britian -- In miserable shape
    “Listen to this: Britain has the lowest social mobility in the developed world. Here, the salary you earn is more linked to what your father got paid than in any other major country. I’m sorry, for us Conservatives, the party of aspiration, we cannot accept that.”*
    When I read that sentence I immediately thought of New Orleans because it describes it to a T. One could easily substitute 'Britain' for 'New Orleans'. From what I understand that applies to other Southern cities like Mobile,AL, Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Statues commemorating Confederate Gens. Robert E. Lee and P.G.T. Beauregard as well as Jefferson Davis (the first ― and only ― president of the Confederate States of America) will be removed in the coming days. All four of the structures will be relocated to a museum or another “place where they can be put in historical context,”
    these are historical erections - the one about the white supremecist should have come down.
    Jefferson Davis too perhaps

Beware any society that denies it's history for political correctness.

I can see banning Nazi emblems in Germany-there was nothing honorable about the Nazi's
    but men of honor did fight for their states ( not the Confederacy so much) -not so much Jefferson Davis
    as Robert E. Lee.
    Look at the surrender at Appomattox -done in an honorable fashion
    Kissinger: “demonization of Vladimir Putin is not a policy; it is an alibi for the absence of one.”
    ________

Cold War 2.0 Russia hysteria is turning people’s brains into guacamole.
    We’ve got to find a way to snap out of the propaganda trance
    ________

Buddha: "trust the person who seeks truth and mistrust the person who claims he has found it "
    1.2.3.4.5.6.7. All Good Children Go to Heaven

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Darth Omar (04-24-2017), moon (04-24-2017)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,602 Times in 2,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 163 Times in 155 Posts

We can remember those parts of our past without celebrating them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Badguy For This Post:

blackascoal (04-24-2017)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,512 Times in 6,255 Posts
    Blog Entries

Who runs the Department of Statue Removal ?
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Post:

anatta (04-24-2017)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Shame on all of us,

we have truly lost our minds, are we not bigger people than to have to deny a part of our history.
    Black people need to grow a spine and quit trying to blame white people for everything.

the civil war stood for so much more than slavery
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Gee whiz. Great news. So, this is the magic answer to lowering the murder rate, pick-pocket rate, getting rid of the wasteful spending on Mardi Gras, people cleaning up their property, mowing their lawns, planting flower beds in the 9th ward?

I lived in the mid-city area there from 1978 to 1988. I found it to be a wonderful melting pot of blacks, whites, creoles and Latinos. The city had problems, yet the least of them were race-related. I loved those people and their traditional culture of food and music. The only hint of division I saw there (as explained to me by local blacks) was the discrimination by the 'light-skinned' blacks towards the 'dark-skinned blacks'. They have a lot of very elite social clubs there who frown on admitting the 'dark-skinned' blacks. They told me it's just always been that way.
    Last edited by Stretch; 04-24-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

anatta (04-24-2017), Darth Omar (04-24-2017)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    these are historical erections - the one about the white supremecist should have come down.
    Jefferson Davis too perhaps

Beware any society that denies it's history for political correctness.

I can see banning Nazi emblems in Germany-there was nothing honorable about the Nazi's
    but men of honor did fight for their states ( not the Confederacy so much) -not so much Jefferson Davis
    as Robert E. Lee.
    Look at the surrender at Appomattox -done in an honorable fashion
    Yeah, I woulda kept the Robt. E. Lee statue. It was at a historic landmark called Lee Circle which is the unofficial demarcation between the Garden District and Downtown.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2018.1 For This Post:

anatta (04-24-2017)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Gee whiz. Great news. So, this is the magic answer to lowering the murder rate, pick-pocket rate, getting rid of the wasteful spending on Mardi Gras, people cleaning up their property, mowing their lawns, planting flower beds in the 9th ward?

I lived in the mid-city area there from 1978 to 1988. I found it to be a wonderful melting pot of blacks, whites, creoles and Latinos. The city had problems, yet the least of them were race-related. I loved those people and their traditional culture of food and music. The only hint of division I saw there (as explained to me by local blacks) was the discrimination by the 'light-skinned' blacks towards the 'dark-skinned blacks. They have a lot of very elite social clubs there who frown on admitting the 'dark-skinned' blacks. They told me it's just always been that way.
    Frown??!! No way any black gets in one of those. They only frown on a white person who didn't go to the right high school and who didn't have the right daddy.
    Last edited by Cancel 2018.1; 04-24-2017 at 12:45 PM.

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

I lived in the mid-city area there from 1978 to 1988. I found it to be a wonderful melting pot of blacks, whites, creoles and Latinos. The city had problems, yet the least of them were race-related. I loved those people and their traditional culture of food and music. The only hint of division I saw there (as explained to me by local blacks) was the discrimination by the 'light-skinned' blacks towards the 'dark-skinned blacks. They have a lot of very elite social clubs there who frown on admitting the 'dark-skinned' blacks. They told me it's just always been that way.
    you do get around! Hong Kong and New Orleans no less anywhere else neat you've been?

I tend to agree that stripping out history is political correctness run wild;
    after all PC speech is stripping out the language- same thing.
    and the price we pay is being unable to look back and understand why the tensions that caused the Civil war
    ( more then slavery) were baked into the founding.

I don't see it so much as celebrating the south itself, but a testament to the men who fought the war.
    That's what these statutes represent,and they were honorable soldiers.

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,602 Times in 2,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 163 Times in 155 Posts

Again, we can remember those parts of our history without celebrating them. The two aren't inseparable.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Badguy For This Post:

blackascoal (04-24-2017)

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
    Shame on all of us,

we have truly lost our minds, are we not bigger people than to have to deny a part of our history.
    Black people need to grow a spine and quit trying to blame white people for everything.

the civil war stood for so much more than slavery

actually black people are a whole could give a fiddlers fuck about these statues.

This is political correctness run amok, and of course the board race hustling mandingo BAC thinks this is "progress". Not one black persons life has materially improved because of this. But, idiots think something happened.

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

you do get around! Hong Kong and New Orleans no less anywhere else neat you've been?

and the price we pay is being unable to look back and understand why the tensions that caused the Civil war

I don't see it so much as celebrating the south itself, but a testament to the men who fought the war.
    That's what these statutes represent,and they were honorable soldiers.
    yeah but ignorant uneducated race hustlers like BAC want you to believe it was only because of slavery

the true traitors of the Civil War were the north led by Lincoln. I only wish he would have been assassinated before he killed 500,000 citizens

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    Frown??!! No way any black gets in one of those. They only frown on a white person who didn't go to the right high school and who didn't have the right daddy.
    I was speaking of certain Krewes and clubs formed by light-skinned blacks who refuse to allow dark-skinned blacks. Light-skinned blacks formed exclusive clubs after slavery was abolished in the United States. N.O. was the home of the "brown paper bag test" when determining who they allowed in their clubs.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's what these statutes represent, and they were honorable soldiers.
    I was born and raised in Miami, I've also lived in NYC. From my limited experience I've witnessed much more racial issues in those major cities than I've ever seen in small towns or southern rural areas. I live out in horse country now near Ocala. We are a completely mixed community here of blacks and whites and it's such a pleasure having us all get along just fine sharing schools, churches, diners, stores and everybody is soooooo typically southern here, something I'm not used to. We all speak the way people spoke to each other in N.O. "Good morning Mr. Tom, How ya'll doing Miss Lydia and Miss Cynthia?" LOL.....love it around here.

I took a few months when I was 22 and a Eurail pass in hand and went all over the place. Luxemburg, Paris, Madrid, Nice, Barcelona, Morocco, Florence, Athens, Cairo (rode camels, went inside the pyramids), Ljubljana (when it was in Yugoslavia), Budapest, Vienna, Amsterdam.
    pain in abortion.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

anatta (04-24-2017)