Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Milagro, your thoughts

I believe you have said your wife is from Thailand, this article from CNN interested me. I love street food. Growing up in California, we had lots of local markets that had "street" food. But going to Mexico, well, it was pretty good, but not that good. In the 2000's street food exploded in California and it was awesome.

Is Bangkok really banning street food?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/20/foodan...ban/index.html

If your wife is not from Thailand, I apologize.

Anyway, I have experienced a small sampling of Asian streetfood and it is not like here in the US. We have trucks etc., but nothing like Asia.

Oh, and I banned bukkkle so he can't insult your wife.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2018.2 For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-21-2017)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yaya View Post
    I believe you have said you wife is from Thailand, this article from CNN interested me. I love street food. Growing up in California, we had lots of local markets that had "street" food. But going to Mexico, well, it was pretty good, but not that good. In the 2000's street food exploded in California and it was awesome.

Is Bangkok really banning street food?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/20/foodan...ban/index.html

If your wife is not from Thailand, I apologize.

Anyway, I have experienced a small sampling of Asian streetfood and it is not like here in the US. We have trucks etc., but nothing like Asia.

Oh, and I banned bukkkle so he can't insult your wife.
    Yes she is, I saw that article on the Thaivisa forum. Thailand has been voted the best street food award for two years running, yet they want to move them off the streets. Singapore did the same many years back, so we shall see. I am ambivalent about it, the street food available is truly remarkable but many of those stalls block the pavements. I would imagine in true Thai fashion, there will some brown envelopes stuffed with baht to make it go away.

As for Nostradumbarse, my missus would make short work of him if he said that shit to her face.

Sent from my iPhone 10S

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Cancel 2018.2 (04-21-2017)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milagro View Post
    Yes she is, I saw that article on the Thaivisa forum. Thailand has been voted the best street food award for two years running, yet they want to move them off the streets. Singapore did the same many years back, so we shall see. I am ambivalent about it, the street food available is truly remarkable but many of those stalls block the pavements. I would imagine in true Thai fashion, there will some brown envelopes stuffed with baht to make it go away.

As for Nostradumbarse, my missus would make short work of him if he said that shit to her face.

Sent from my iPhone 10S
    Is the street food as good as it looks? I had an opportunity to Bangkok, but had to go to Okinawa. I wish it had been Bangkok, IMO. Okinawa, well, not exactly Japanese, but not exactly different either.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yaya View Post
    Is the street food as good as it looks? I had an opportunity to Bangkok, but had to go to Okinawa. I wish it had been Bangkok, IMO. Okinawa, well, not exactly Japanese, but not exactly different either.
    The street food in Thailand is truly amazing, the variety and high standard is quite remarkable. You know it must be good as the food is eaten by many Thais not just Farangs (foreigners). Thais are the fussiest people on the planet when it comes to food and no food stall would last long if it sold bad food. One of the reasons is that everything is fresh that day usually, especially the vegetables. People get up at four in the morning to get the best produce.

Sent from my iPhone 10S

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Cancel 2018.2 (04-21-2017), Sailor (04-21-2017)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Sent from my iPhone 10S
    Singapore makes sense, as the street carts are bound to promote litter. Tourists there probably are drawn to the obsessive state of cleanliness. Thailand doing it is just going to annoy people.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chlorate View Post
    Singapore makes sense, as the street carts are bound to promote litter. Tourists there probably are drawn to the obsessive state of cleanliness. Thailand doing it is just going to annoy people.
    Actually the streets of Bangkok are remarkably clean, the main ones anyway. The police like nothing better than to make some extra money fining people. Only been to Singapore once, wouldn't go again it's incredibly boring and sterile.

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Minister of Truth (04-22-2017)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Actually the streets of Bangkok are remarkably clean, the main ones anyway. The police like nothing better than to make some extra money fining people. Only been to Singapore once, wouldn't go again it's incredibly boring and sterile.

Ever been to the geylang district? Orchard Towers? Interesting...

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Rune (04-23-2017)

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Ever been to the geylang district? Orchard Towers? Interesting...
    Ah yes, Orchard Towers and the Four Floors of Whores! I was working in Bangkok at the time and was in Singapore to renew my visa, I had a look but it seemed very tame to me. Mind you that was thirty years ago, maybe different now.

Last edited by cancel2 2022; 04-23-2017 at 06:22 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Sailor (04-23-2017)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I also read this as well, it is best to abandon logic when dealing with Thai mentality. There is an expression namely TIT aka This Is Thailand.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/com...e-street-food/

Sent from my iPhone 10S

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Baluuuut! Baluuut!

Oh man it's something distinct to Southeast Asia that is wondrous yet impossible to describe is the aroma of the street food vendors which, at least in the Philippines, are associated with the open air markets which in metro areas are huge. The smells, colors, taste, sounds, it can be disorienting when your not used to it.

The street food food scene in the Philippines is amazing. Particularly the soups/noodles. Which like a lot of Asian countries are meals in a bowl. If you're in an Asian country and you see a long que in front of a soup/noodle vendor you would be well advised to get in line.

Some of street food I've had in the Philippines that's particularly good is;

Lechon manok - spit roasted chicken. The chicken there isn't factory chicken and a lot more flavorful.

Pancit - a fried noodle dish

Lumpias- fried spring rolls.

Lechon - spit roasted pork. Painstakingly cooked over coals till the skin is amber colored and crisp. It's pig heaven.

My personal favorite is sigsig which is made from chopped pork mixed with a little liver pate, fried crisp and served on a sizzle plate and topped with an sunny side up egg. This is usually eaten as a snack while drinking beer.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Baluuuut! Baluuut!

Oh man it's something distinct to Southeast Asia that is wondrous yet impossible to describe is the aroma of the street food vendors which, at least in the Philippines, are associated with the open air markets which in metro areas are huge. The smells, colors, taste, sounds, it can be disorienting when your not used to it.

The street food food scene in the Philippines is amazing. Particularly the soups/noodles. Which like a lot of Asian countries are meals in a bowl. If you're in an Asian country and you see a long que in front of a soup/noodle vendor you would be well advised to get in line.

Some of street food I've had in the Philippines that's particularly good is;

Lechon manok - spit roasted chicken. The chicken there isn't factory chicken and a lot more flavorful.

Pancit - a fried noodle dish

Lumpias- fried spring rolls.

Lechon - spit roasted pork. Painstakingly cooked over coals till the skin is amber colored and crisp. It's pig heaven.

My personal favorite is sigsig which is made from chopped pork mixed with a little liver pate, fried crisp and served on a sizzle plate and topped with an sunny side up egg. This is usually eaten as a snack while drinking beer.
    You think the scene is amazing because it's different. After a while it gets old really quick. That food sucks.

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    You think the scene is amazing because it's different. After a while it gets old really quick. That food sucks.
    I've been eating it for 12 years. It hardly sucks. Lechon is as good or better than any BBQ pork I have had in the South and most American soups are bowls full of crap compared to Asian noodle soups.

Granted a lot of street food is simple grilled treats you would make at home or simple home recipes and like fast food, if you ate it every day it would get old fast but that's not the way it works. Do you eat at McD's or Wendy's or Pizza Hut everyday?
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I've been eating it for 12 years. It hardly sucks. Lechon is as good or better than any BBQ pork I have had in the South and most American soups are bowls full of crap compared to Asian noodle soups.

Granted a lot of street food is simple grilled treats you would make at home or simple home recipes and like fast food, if you ate it every day it would get old fast but that's not the way it works. Do you eat at McD's or Wendy's or Pizza Hut everyday?
    You live in Ohio. You haven't been eating it for 12 years.

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    You live in Ohio. You haven't been eating it for 12 years.
    I'm assuming his wife cooks.....not sure why she does it on the street though......

24. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (04-21-2017)