Thread: This man

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    It is when it is a government entity.

That's my thought as well. If this guy wrote a letter to the Parking Authority that read as follows, I think we would all agree that it is protected speech:

Dear Parking Authority,

Go fuck yourself.

Very truly yours,

Ticketed Guy

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dungheap View Post
    That's my thought as well. If this guy wrote a letter to the Parking Authority that read as follows, I think we would all agree that it is protected speech:

Dear Parking Authority,

Go fuck yourself.

Very truly yours,

Ticketed Guy
    I would say that would be appropriate towards anyone so long as you only did it once (otherwise it would probably be harrassment).

Against the Parking Authority, though, it is certainly free speech...just as much as telling Bush to fuck himself would be.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.”

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    It is when it is a government entity.
    The civil servants and bank employees that process and read the checks, have nothing to do with passing laws, or with this guys grievance.

You want to write a "fuck you" letter to the city councilman who passed the law, the landlord who screwed you on your lease, or your ex-boyfriend. That's fine.

It sounds like the civil servants over reacted to me. But, I'm not willing to unequivocably state that you have a first amendment right, to write belligerent notes to civil servants and bank employees that are complete strangers to you, and who have nothing to do with your greivance.

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The civil servants and bank employees that process and read the checks, have nothing to do with passing laws, or with this guys grievance.

You want to write a "fuck you" letter to the city councilman who passed the law, the landlord who screwed you on your lease, or your ex-boyfriend. That's fine.

It sounds like the civil servants over reacted to me. But, I'm not willing to unequivocably state that you have a first amendment right, to write belligerent notes to civil servants and bank employees that are complete strangers to you, and who have nothing to do with your greivance.
    Um, yeah, you do. If you have the 1st Amendment right to hold racist rallies (and you do), then why the fuck can't you be belligerent to bank employees?

You are the type of person that makes me worry about this country's future, and that is coming from someone that wants democracy dissolved in favour of a single-party dictatorship (but at least the dictatorship would let you vent frustration).
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.”

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

In what way were they harmed by seeing his obvious expression of political dissatisfaction?

You keep trying to make a victim of somebody for just seeing that word, used as a political statement.

As well as the fact that banks no longer see checks. They are run through a system that reads the account numbers and simply deducts the amount directly from the account and transfers it automatically to the other account. It is even cheap for a place that sees many checks like, say, a government entity....
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

It's not as though he addressed it to anyone is particular. It seems clear that his speech was directed at the authority itself and not to an individual. At most it was a generalized grievance to no one in particular. That seems as though it should be protected to me.

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dungheap View Post
    It's not as though he addressed it to anyone is particular. It seems clear that his speech was directed at the authority itself and not to an individual. At most it was a generalized grievance to no one in particular. That seems as though it should be protected to me.
    It doesn't fucking matter if he directed it at anyone or not...you have the right to call someone a mother fucker if you want to...that is part of free speech.

Now, if you are on their land, they can certainly ask you to leave (and if you yell from the street too much it will be harrassment), but you can tell anyone in this country anything you want, as long as it isn't an actual threat.

See, this is how you tell who really believes in the Constitution-- the people who defend those that did something unpopular, not the ones constantly crying about freedom of speech only when it affects their own words.

8. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

I think its fair to say that Cypress and BAC have been roundly skewered on this thread. Roundly skewered. I can practically smell the gristle.

9. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

10. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gonzojournals View Post
    It doesn't fucking matter if he directed it at anyone or not...you have the right to call someone a mother fucker if you want to...that is part of free speech.

Now, if you are on their land, they can certainly ask you to leave (and if you yell from the street too much it will be harrassment), but you can tell anyone in this country anything you want, as long as it isn't an actual threat.

See, this is how you tell who really believes in the Constitution-- the people who defend those that did something unpopular, not the ones constantly crying about freedom of speech only when it affects their own words.
    I can certainly agree with this.

But since when are you a strict constructionist?

11. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We must uphold family values at all costs!
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

12. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    I can certainly agree with this.

But since when are you a strict constructionist?
    I believe in the Constitution and in the rule of Law...any changes to this country must be made legally, and until then the existing government must be upheld.

13. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    This man had no need to apologize, nor was a disorderly conduct threat warranted.

Wtf is happening to this country?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/12/vul....ap/index.html
    I write little notes on ny IRS check every year. My vulgarities are much more offensive, i.e., I list many of the vulgar actions for which the state will use the money.