Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my crazy idea

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,740 Times in 14,334 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    Those full wood cases are cool, but I wanted the look of beams. My design is totally impractical. It adds about half an inch on both sides of the phone. It's purely for the person who enjoys looking at old fashioned joinery and old dusty beams. I have thought about making one with planks on the back. I need to perfect a way to create the look of old red paint with lichen and paint peeling. That would look cool with the entire back closed off and a tiny little window for the camera.

NEW MISSION!
    I wasn't going to rain on your parade w/respect to practical. The case def looks great. I have my own issues with finding a pocket for my phone when I'm working, etc. So this would be a bit bulky. Of course, I bought what is supposed to be the military issue phone, with tougher screen and dust/water proof design.

If you're trying to create an old paint look, there's a product called 'Crackle' that has been used for a long time on furniture. When the chipping paint look was all the rage (I never understood it), I know finishers who would use this product.

Or, you could try putting a thin coat of polyurethane on the wood before painting, so that the paint won't take properly. You can age it with a wire brush, either when the paint is wet/damp/dry. You will have to experiment.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

I made some frames for my TVs using reclaimed wood. Actually, they were stakes (used to prop up young trees) that had outlived their usefulness after 5 years or more. The trees were all over 8 feet tall. I grabbed them all (the weathered stakes) they were so beautifully aged. I hope nobody misses them LOL

tvframes.jpg

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I'm with Jarod on this one. That's actually pretty clever. Start a Kickstarter. Who knows what will happen.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice work! Make an online shop now! I believe this could work.