Thread: my crazy idea

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default my crazy idea

I don't remember how I came up with the idea, but I made a frame for my phone out of wood. It was pure shit. You would have laughed at it if you saw it. I used some rips of hardwood flooring with little thought about what I wanted it to look like. So I made another one with a little better planning. It too was pure shit. Marginally better than the first. Then I made one using better joints and precision planning. It came out sweet. I sanded it really smooth and stained it a really nice stain mix from the project I had just worked on. It was a gray / ebony mixture that made the wood look really old. Then I thought to myself how cool it would look if it was like the wood in a barn with a grayish silvery look. So I made that one and it was fricken cool. Then I wanted one that looked like it was made by hand saws in the old days. I wanted it to look like the beams in a hundred year old structure like a barn or a cabin. I made a few before I finally got the look right though they all looked really awesome anyway.
    htconeframe.jpg
    Then I decided I wanted to make one that looked like the really old houses and barns in New England where they used nothing but an axe to shape the logs.
    htconehandhewnframe.jpg

I am hooked on making these things.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,897 Times in 21,661 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,692 Times in 5,195 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's really cool. You need to sell them.

I love the hand made juxtaposed with the iphone.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Jarod, I've been thinking about it. There are huge numbers of people who would like them. It's a good retirement business for me. Just need a real workshop. Someday. It's on the list!

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,034 Times in 14,529 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    I don't remember how I came up with the idea, but I made a frame for my phone out of wood. It was pure shit. You would have laughed at it if you saw it. I used some rips of hardwood flooring with little thought about what I wanted it to look like. So I made another one with a little better planning. It too was pure shit. Marginally better than the first. Then I made one using better joints and precision planning. It came out sweet. I sanded it really smooth and stained it a really nice stain mix from the project I had just worked on. It was a gray / ebony mixture that made the wood look really old. Then I thought to myself how cool it would look if it was like the wood in a barn with a grayish silvery look. So I made that one and it was fricken cool. Then I wanted one that looked like it was made by hand saws in the old days. I wanted it to look like the beams in a hundred year old structure like a barn or a cabin. I made a few before I finally got the look right though they all looked really awesome anyway.
    htconeframe.jpg
    Then I decided I wanted to make one that looked like the really old houses and barns in New England where they used nothing but an axe to shape the logs.
    htconehandhewnframe.jpg

Very cool. You don't need access to the edges of your phone? Or is that why you used dowels to hold it together?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Very cool. You don't need access to the edges of your phone? Or is that why you used dowels to hold it together?
    There are slots for power and for the headphone jack. The buttons are handled by dowels that are tapered to stay in the holes and that you press to activate. It was part of the fun to make them work perfectly on each frame. Three corners have dowels that are tightly fit so they are more difficult to take apart and one corner has a dowel that is a little easier to remove. You can stretch the frame open a little to get the phone in and then pop in the dowel by hand. Getting it out might take a little pressure with a toothpick from the bottom side. Oh yeah, the corners are also joined with dovetail joints. The dowels in the corners are just an extra measure to keep it together. I had my phone fall out of coat while riding the bike today and the frame did its job well.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

htconeframe.jpg
    htconehandhewnframe.jpg

Nice job!

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

htconeframe.jpg
    htconehandhewnframe.jpg

Instructables have some good ideas also.

Here's one:
    Smartphone Wood Veneer Case

SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Those full wood cases are cool, but I wanted the look of beams. My design is totally impractical. It adds about half an inch on both sides of the phone. It's purely for the person who enjoys looking at old fashioned joinery and old dusty beams. I have thought about making one with planks on the back. I need to perfect a way to create the look of old red paint with lichen and paint peeling. That would look cool with the entire back closed off and a tiny little window for the camera.

NEW MISSION!

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,186 Times in 25,721 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Those full wood cases are cool, but I wanted the look of beams. My design is totally impractical. It adds about half an inch on both sides of the phone. It's purely for the person who enjoys looking at old fashioned joinery and old dusty beams. I have thought about making one with planks on the back. I need to perfect a way to create the look of old red paint with lichen and paint peeling. That would look cool with the entire back closed off and a tiny little window for the camera.

NEW MISSION!
    Great job, they are really cool. I love the distressed look and the peeling paint one sounds awesome.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

NEW MISSION!
    I'm not really a fan of the more rugged look that you're going for, but, nice work.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

new show for PBS......This Old Phone........

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

tinfoil (03-30-2017)

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That is funny, PMP. Might use that idea for a promo video. LOL

Promotional consideration by the following corporations:

Blowins Corning

Cantmisser Chestinblause

Queerhauyser Finkleshmidt

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,769 Times in 27,243 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

htconeframe.jpg
    htconehandhewnframe.jpg

way cool dude

make them to sell

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Very cool. Maybe set up an ebay store and sell them. I'm thinking of doing that with wood dash panels.

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,769 Times in 27,243 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries