Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Republicans group conflicts

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Default College Republicans group conflicts

I'm a member of the college republicans at my university and have been since my first year. Prior to the election it was always a divided room as each of had our own horse that we wanted to win and had our opinions and now that Trump is president and after the ACA drama especially it's even worse. I'm admittedly in the minority out of the group and often disagree with what our messages should be out on campus and around the community and late last week I was told by one of the officers that I, and a couple others, need to fall in line more so that the message is consistent and unified. Basically it's ok to disagree in the room but outside the room we need to be supportive of the president and the party.

I'm conflicted admittedly since I do not agree with a lot of what the president is doing or the direction he is taking the party but I do think it's important to have these communication platforms around campus to help spread the concepts of limited governance amd the constitution. I'm also being criticized by people in the group for not being in meetings as much as I should but I'm also involved in a few other campus groups and I also have my obligations to my horses and my competition schedules. That aside my conflict is whether or not I stay in the College Republicans club or if I leave or try to form my own club.

It's funny to me how things can be such a microcosm though. I find this to be so strikingly similar to what's happening right now in Washington with the administration vs the freedom caucus. I don't want to leave the group but a part of me feels the group has already left me and others. I just can't help spread messages in favor of things that go against my principles and core beliefs. I want to continue to challenge our own leadership on campus and fight for conservatism on campus but it feels like a losing battle at this point.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Norah For This Post:

Cancel 2018.2 (03-30-2017)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

I would have so much fun trolling your officers if I was in college today. Basically, I would give them the finger, and if they told me to be civil, I would accuse them of being sellouts and #NeverTrumpers. I would also randomly create pointless lies, and lob them out, and see who has a problem with random dishonesty.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Chlorate View Post
    I would have so much fun trolling your officers if I was in college today. Basically, I would give them the finger, and if they told me to be civil, I would accuse them of being sellouts and #NeverTrumpers. I would also randomly create pointless lies, and lob them out, and see who has a problem with random dishonesty.

I totally understand the desire to have a unified message around campus when we take part in events or are giving out communications but as I told them last week I don't think a unified message HAS to be the message from the administration alone.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd say don't sweat it unless one of the groups starts throwing rocks at public speakers and setting fire to the campus like the Young Demmycrats do.........

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Truth Detector (03-30-2017)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,186 Times in 33,874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Norah View Post
    I'm a member of the college republicans at my university and have been since my first year. Prior to the election it was always a divided room as each of had our own horse that we wanted to win and had our opinions and now that Trump is president and after the ACA drama especially it's even worse. I'm admittedly in the minority out of the group and often disagree with what our messages should be out on campus and around the community and late last week I was told by one of the officers that I, and a couple others, need to fall in line more so that the message is consistent and unified. Basically it's ok to disagree in the room but outside the room we need to be supportive of the president and the party.

I'm conflicted admittedly since I do not agree with a lot of what the president is doing or the direction he is taking the party but I do think it's important to have these communication platforms around campus to help spread the concepts of limited governance amd the constitution. I'm also being criticized by people in the group for not being in meetings as much as I should but I'm also involved in a few other campus groups and I also have my obligations to my horses and my competition schedules. That aside my conflict is whether or not I stay in the College Republicans club or if I leave or try to form my own club.

It's funny to me how things can be such a microcosm though. I find this to be so strikingly similar to what's happening right now in Washington with the administration vs the freedom caucus. I don't want to leave the group but a part of me feels the group has already left me and others. I just can't help spread messages in favor of things that go against my principles and core beliefs. I want to continue to challenge our own leadership on campus and fight for conservatism on campus but it feels like a losing battle at this point.
    Compromising your beliefs and values for a united message is that really what you want to do? Isn't that part of the problem today? Are you a sheeple, do you want to be?

Do you often go along, to get along?

9. The Following User Groans At Phantasmal For This Awful Post:

Truth Detector (03-30-2017)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

evince (03-30-2017)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,710 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

One should always say what one believes. Being a propagandist is for losers, weaklings, and social misfits.
    I think you are on the right path here. The most important thing is to respect yourself. These Repubican college geeks will be nothing but a dim memory to you in a few years, I suggest being true to yourself and keeping your dignity.

"I believe that you are sincere and good at heart. If you do not attain happiness, always remember that you are on the right road, and try not to leave it. Above all, avoid falsehood, every kind of falsehood, especially falseness to yourself. Watch over your own deceitfulness and look into it every hour, every minute. Avoid being scornful, both to others and to yourself. What seems to you bad within you will grow purer from the very fact of your observing it in yourself. Avoid fear, too, though fear is only the consequence of every sort of falsehood. " -- Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov
    Last edited by Cypress; 03-29-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typo

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (03-30-2017), Norah (03-30-2017), Phantasmal (03-30-2017)

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

You're an amazing person Norah. There was a Republican club at my University, but it had very few members compared to the Democratic club. I was registered Democrat at that the time, so I didn't give them much thought. In fact, I didn't give the Democratic party club much thought at all, as I was there to learn and explore and live life. The political arguments of the time were something I didn't give much attention to. However, in post grad school, it became more important.

By that time I registered as a Republican, but then after a few years, I realized that neither the GOP or the the DEMS had what I wanted. On a personal note, I took a first year history/government class with a friend who needed, literally, that one class credit (despite having a science degree), and it was at community college and we took it together (her idea) (okay, she ended up my wife, so there, whatever) I didn't study at all, but I listened to the professor and he was an amazing individual. He was all about independent. Being an independent voter, being an independent thinker. Being voters who did not have to vote Dem or Gop.

I realized I didn't have to be a Republican or a Democrat, I could be my own person or a person like him who wanted to create an independent party. Yeah, there are a few of them out there, but Norah, after X years of education and to sit in on one intro history/government class from a professor, I realized that education means only so much and his ideas changed my thinking.

If people want you to toe the line, walk over it. I believe there has to be a third party option in this country. It is not a new or novel idea, it exists elsewhere. But, for people like me (I don't know your personal political viewpoints that well, but I think you seem independent) it was a new concept for me. And one I believe in.

I will get in line with republicans because I believe in their monetary policies (not all the time), I also not toe the line for Dems because I support gay marriage, welfare when needed etc.

There can be a middle, if you will, party. I have not done anything locally to change that, because where I live, most believe as I do. I sometimes do think of running for public office, but I have a career to think about.

Last thoughts, if anyone told me to curb my opinions when talking to others, I would give them the finger. Crude, maybe, but if you have honest beliefs and are being told to not say them outside of the private forum, I would strongly suggest, you reconsider the club.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2018.2 For This Post:

Norah (03-30-2017)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

I totally understand the desire to have a unified message around campus when we take part in events or are giving out communications but as I told them last week I don't think a unified message HAS to be the message from the administration alone.
    although I probably agree with you politically might I suggest you drop the "group" thing and be your own person.
    Individually speaking up to nut job professors on a one to one basis will make you feel better,

as far as the democrat "groups" go, just ignore them, they will go away as soon as they realize they are talking to the hand

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

The massive ideology gap you are seeing in America can be laid at the feet of the radicals at the DNC and a former arrogant, divisive and hyper partisan half black President who couldn't utter a sentence that didn't contain "I" of "ME" in it.

Look at the glaring and shrill hypocrisy we now see from the FAKE media and leftists who demanded that Trump accept the election results but now do everything they can to suggest they weren't valid.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Snowflake View Post
    Compromising your beliefs and values for a united message is that really what you want to do? Isn't that part of the problem today? Are you a sheeple, do you want to be?

Amusing; someone who supports a party that demands everyone march in goose stepping fashion ranting about "sheeple".

You morons on the left are the dumbest sheep in the herd. Dunce.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chlorate View Post
    See, I like the hurl insults approach to them supporting Douchebag Donald, because I can then call them PC snowflakes, hypocrites, and sellouts if they get annoyed with my antics.
    No one with even half a brain takes your whiny TDS rants serious. Dunce.

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    One should always say what one believes. Being a propagandist is for losers, weaklings, and social misfits.
    I think you are on the right path here. The most important thing is to respect yourself. These Repubican college geeks will be nothing but a dim memory to you in a few years, I suggest being true to yourself and keeping your dignity.
    There you go again with that tired moronic claim about the demise of the Republican party. Meanwhile, the Democratic Party continues it's losing ways and slow decline into Marxism.

I bet you still stupidly think your side is winning. Dunce.

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Snowflake View Post

Part of the problem they see with me and couple others is that I don't communicate many of the established talking points at campus events because many of the talking points are what you'd hear the administration say and not necessarily our group promoting conservative republican principles even if that means critiquing bad decisions by the administration. There are members and officers that feel that we should echo the messages from the administration and there are those of us like myself that feel we shouldn't be attached to it. I go along to get along in the sense that I haven't left the club yet and I try to work with them on the messages so that we are all happy but it's getting harder.