Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Truth Detector and CFM

Thread: Alex Jones apologizes for pushing 'Pizzagate' conspiracy theory

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,186 Times in 25,721 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Default Alex Jones apologizes for pushing 'Pizzagate' conspiracy theory

A first for this nut job. The odious J Craft will be crushed.

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Friday apologized to the owner of a Washington pizzeria that became the subject of a conspiracy theory about human trafficking last year.

Washington, D.C. pizza shop Comet Ping Pong was thrust into the spotlight last year after a gunman allegedly fired a shot inside the restaurant. The suspect said he was investigating the unsubstantiated conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton and her campaign chairman, John Podesta, were operating a child sex trafficking ring out of the restaurant. The theory, which became known as Pizzagate, had circulated among far-right conspiracy theory websites and social media accounts.

“In our commentary about what had become known as Pizzagate, I made comments about Mr. Alefantis that in hindsight I regret, and for which I apologize to him,” Jones, who runs Infowars, said in a video. James Alefantis is the owner of Comet Ping Pong...

“To my knowledge today, neither Mr. Alefantis, nor his restaurant, Comet Ping Pong, were involved in any human trafficking as was part of the theories about Pizzagate that were being written about in many media outlets and which we commented upon,” Jones said."

http://thehill.com/homenews/325761-i...spiracy-theory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (03-28-2017)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,163 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Friday apologized to the owner of a Washington pizzeria that became the subject of a conspiracy theory about human trafficking last year.

Washington, D.C. pizza shop Comet Ping Pong was thrust into the spotlight last year after a gunman allegedly fired a shot inside the restaurant. The suspect said he was investigating the unsubstantiated conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton and her campaign chairman, John Podesta, were operating a child sex trafficking ring out of the restaurant. The theory, which became known as Pizzagate, had circulated among far-right conspiracy theory websites and social media accounts.

“In our commentary about what had become known as Pizzagate, I made comments about Mr. Alefantis that in hindsight I regret, and for which I apologize to him,” Jones, who runs Infowars, said in a video. James Alefantis is the owner of Comet Ping Pong...

“To my knowledge today, neither Mr. Alefantis, nor his restaurant, Comet Ping Pong, were involved in any human trafficking as was part of the theories about Pizzagate that were being written about in many media outlets and which we commented upon,” Jones said."

Well, I give him credit for apologizing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (03-28-2017)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,033 Times in 14,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Rut Roh. Where will trump get his 'facts' from now?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Phantasmal (03-27-2017)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Snowflake View Post
    Well, I give him credit for apologizing.
    Maybe Mr. Alefantis filed a libel suit against him.

― Charles Dickens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Phantasmal (03-27-2017)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

That was the first thing that crossed my mind.
    I typically do not see rightwingers apologize for libel and slander. And I have decades of observational experience on this.
    One only has to look at the Orange Clown for the latest example.

If this was truly a heart felt apology, then kudos to this dude. The other possibility is that he received a visit from some lawyers with a threat of a libel suit.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (03-28-2017), Phantasmal (03-27-2017), zappasguitar (03-28-2017)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,033 Times in 14,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I typically do not see rightwingers apologize for libel and slander. And I have decades of observational experience on this.

If this was truly a heart felt apology, then kudos to this dude. The other possibility is that he received a visit from some lawyers with a threat of a libel suit.
    Much more likely
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Here it is.

Despite Jones' claim that the reason for the apology is because "we think it is the right thing to do," it may have more to do with the perceived threat of legal action from Alefantis, who wrote to Jones in February asking for several retractions. The Washington Post's Paul Farhi explains:

"Under Texas law, the Austin-based Jones had to retract or apologize for the stories by Friday — one full month after receiving Alefantis's letter — to avoid exposing InfoWars to punitive damages in a libel suit."
    It's rare for Jones to make a public apology. The Infowars website has a correction section. There are only two entries, of which the Comet apology is one.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ting-pizzagate

― Charles Dickens

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,667 Times in 7,364 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,968 Times in 1,784 Posts

You just know they must have been VERY close to suing his ass for defamation of character if Jones was willing to apologize for his sick comments.

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,667 Times in 7,364 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,968 Times in 1,784 Posts

BINGO!!

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chlorate View Post
    Pizzagate Lives!
    #spiritcooking was more disturbing
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

Um, making an apology in the face of a threat of a lawsuit is the dumbest thing anyone could do. Maybe that is why you thought of it.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Here it is.

Despite Jones' claim that the reason for the apology is because "we think it is the right thing to do," it may have more to do with the perceived threat of legal action from Alefantis, who wrote to Jones in February asking for several retractions. The Washington Post's Paul Farhi explains:

"Under Texas law, the Austin-based Jones had to retract or apologize for the stories by Friday — one full month after receiving Alefantis's letter — to avoid exposing InfoWars to punitive damages in a libel suit."
    It's rare for Jones to make a public apology. The Infowars website has a correction section. There are only two entries, of which the Comet apology is one.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ting-pizzagate
    Well, there you have it folks.

I was almost tempted to give the benefit of the doubt that the apology was genuine and heartfelt.

But chalk this up as another example of rightwingers lacking the character to apologize for libel and defamation.