Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Trump team communications captured by intelligence community surveillance, Nunes says

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Schiff is saying it's possible the Trump Adm is leaking doc's to Nunes in the dead of night

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    "Deep State" is a made up term that no message board wingnut ever used until they Breitbart and the broader wingnutosphere ordered them to start using it.
    The term has been around a while.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_within_a_state
    http://billmoyers.com/2014/02/21/ana...he-deep-state/
    https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Trump-a...erm-deep-state
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

anatta (03-24-2017)

4. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

one of the strangest turns in the story of Russia and the Trump campaign has been the recent outrage from Democrats over politicization of the investigation.

This all centers on Chairman Devin Nunes, the Republican who is leading the House Intelligence Committee's investigation. He was an adviser to the Trump presidential transition. The White House asked him last month to talk to a reporter to rebut news stories that alleged Trump associates had many contacts with Russian intelligence officers. On Wednesday, Nunes briefed the president about new information he had regarding dozens of widely disseminated intelligence reports on the Trump transition. He did this before he briefed his committee's Democrats.

All of this has prompted an outbreak of high dudgeon from the party of Clinton. Representative Adam Schiff, the ranking Democrat on the committee, says Nunes must choose whether he wants to lead a credible investigation or be a surrogate of the Trump White House. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi says Nunes is a "stooge."

Nunes on Thursday gave a half apology for all of this to the minority members of his committee. He told me: "The bottom line is I know it hurt some people's feelings, but I had a judgment call to make and I did what I felt was right. The commitment remains to keep the committee bipartisan." He added, "I appreciate their concerns, but I had to do what I had to do." Translation: The chairman loves your passion, Democrats.

So why would Nunes brief President Donald Trump before Schiff? The answer is that the entire Russia-Trump investigation by Congress from the beginning has been a partisan fight. Leaks about who may be a target of the probe, press conferences on "what we know so far," pushback from the White House and other Republicans -- it's all evidence that the Trump-Russia probe is a political football.

So both parties have tried to spin the investigation for partisan advantage. Take the latest from Schiff. He told MSNBC on Wednesday that there is now "more than circumstantial evidence" of collusion between Russia and Trump associates, whatever that means. If this investigation was really about finding the facts wherever they lead, then what purpose does it serve to offer such a judgment in an inquiry that is likely to twist and turn if it follows the pattern of past counter-intelligence probes? Investigators have an interest in closely guarding their findings until they are ready to present their conclusion. To be sure, Nunes in this respect is no better. He has assured the press that there is zero evidence of collusion at this point, which places him ahead of his own probe.

In reality neither the House nor the Senate committee is equipped to find out what really happened. They don't have the staff or expertise to hunt for spies or monitor the communications of suspected collaborators with Russia. The FBI and the intelligence community are in such a position. The job of the House and Senate panels is to perform oversight of the intelligence community that is doing the investigation.

In this respect, Nunes is doing his job. There has been a longstanding concern that communications picked up incidentally of U.S. citizens can be shared widely within the national security state, effectively short circuiting the strict rules for obtaining a wiretap from a court. The intelligence community is supposed to expunge the identities and identifying traits of U.S. citizens if not pertinent for foreign intelligence collection. But the track record is mixed.

Nunes and Schiff worked closely on this issue last year following an explosive Wall Street Journal story about how the identities of members of Congress and Jewish organizations were not properly masked in taps on the communications of the Israeli prime minister and his top aides. The two of them worked out a new protocol that would inform the chairman and ranking members as well as other congressional leaders when such incidental collection was picked up.

Something like this appears to have happened with regard to Trump advisers after the election and before Trump's inauguration. As Nunes told reporters Wednesday, the collection of the information appears to be legal. Dozens of reports were generated, including details of communications about and between Trump transition officials, and they were widely disseminated inside the intelligence community. Nunes said none of these intelligence reports were about Russia.

That in and of itself is not necessarily a scandal. As Tim Edgar, who served in President Barack Obama's first term as director of privacy and civil liberties at the White House, told me, the names of U.S. persons can sometimes appropriately be unmasked. "If he is saying there was a bunch of information overheard in intelligence reports and it wasn't necessary for their names to be included for foreign intelligence purposes, that is a violation of intelligence oversight rules designed to protect the constitutional rights of Americans," he said. "That is the purpose of the House Intelligence Committee."

How this story will turn out depends on what the FBI eventually digs up on Trump and Russia. It could be that there was a very good reason to distribute intelligence picked up by government eavesdroppers about the Trump transition team, if it turns out there was real coordination between Trump's associates and Russia on interfering in the election. What other ties exist?

But it's also possible that all of this is just smoke and no fire, to borrow the phrase of former acting CIA director and Hillary Clinton campaign surrogate Michael Morell. In that case, it's very troubling that Obama's intelligence bureaucracy appears to have been distributing intelligence reports about his successor's team. We won't know unless Democrats and Republicans follow those facts wherever they lead.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...ence-oversight

5. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Trump, as usual lol, misstated the facts. But whether there was an actual literal wiretap actually literally directly ordered by Obama was made irrelevant by Nunes.

Comey didn't lie, because no one literally directly ordered anyone to wiretap or order surveillance on Trump or his campaign.

But Comey can still be an insidious kind of liar.
    But...again....its not the intercepted messages and their legality....its the breach of the 4th amendment concerning search and seizure, even the president is protected under the constitution as there is no evidence of probable cause in the release of those intercepted messages into the public domain. A crime that carries a prison sentence. Therefore no investigation is complete until the source of the leaks is discovered, and punished under the RULE of LAW. This is a serious matter....everyone Obama appointed with access to this classified information should be subject to subpoena and punished to the full extinct of the law when proven to be guilty of using US law enforcement agencies as political tools.

6. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    Manafort will testify..that should quiet the calls for special prosecutor
    He volunteered to testify.

If he was guilty of treason he would have fled for Switzerland by now.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

anatta (03-24-2017)

8. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Schiff is saying it's possible the Trump Adm is leaking doc's to Nunes in the dead of night
    Paranoid liars lol.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

anatta (03-24-2017)

10. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

So, turns out that Nunes had a whole lot of nuthin'.

And he only came out w/ that nuthin' because Trump was taking a lot of "heat."

I guess Trump isn't "right" anymore, eh righties? Bad week.

11. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post

incorrect. He has to have the documents to know for sure, but there were a LOT of unmasked reports generated
    for simple "incidental collection"
    I think that's why Comey is being called in -to explain why this non-Russian investigation is being investigated.

Don't forget the widely disseminated unmasked reports generated and leaked by the IC -again not having to do with Russia

12. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Stretch (03-24-2017)

13. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You ever find any actual evidence of a Trump-Russian collusion lol?

14. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

incorrect. He has to have the documents to know for sure, but there were a LOT of unmasked reports generated
    for simple "incidental collection"
    I think that's why Comey is being called in -to explain why this non-Russian investigation is being investigated.

Don't forget the widely disseminated unmasked reports generated and leaked by the IC -again not having to do with Russia
    Did you hear him earlier?

Whole lotta nuthin'. But you guys clung to it, because it was the only life preserver in sight.

And the idea that he came out like he did because Trump was taking a lot of "heat" is unreal. One can only imagine if a Democrat was leading an investigation on Obama a few years back, and said something like that.

15. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    You ever find any actual evidence of a Trump-Russian collusion lol?
    Nah; did I say I was going to produce something?

16. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Whole lotta nuthin'. But you guys clung to it, because it was the only life preserver in sight.

And the idea that he came out like he did because Trump was taking a lot of "heat" is unreal. One can only imagine if a Democrat was leading an investigation on Obama a few years back, and said something like that.
    it's not a"whole lotta nothing" I've explained and posted articles just exactly why the unmasking and wide dissemination of Trump's associates names appear in so many reports - much more then just incidental collection would presume.
    If you don't understand it all - neither do I or Nunes or anyone not directly involved in the Deep State either -
    but there is a lot of there- there ( unlike the Russian collusion" meme)

17. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

That's the thing about being president of the United States. Thanks to recent precedent granting the POTUS almost dictatorial authority he could simply declassify everything and have it delivered around the world on the www. If he wanted he could demand investigations into both Clinton's...then you would see if the democrats really believe what they are claiming about LEAKS and the RULE OF LAW. I would purchase tickets to that show....the left almost vapor locked when it become known that Obama was behind the leaks...through an EO alteration.

18. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Tard
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

19. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Blah blah blah

"Deep state" is an excuse to establish a dictatorship. Just like in Turkey. Trump is reading Erdogan's playbook. And you fall for it hook, line, and sinker cus you're a tard.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

20. The Following User Says Thank You to FUCK THE POLICE For This Post:

Hesher (03-24-2017)