Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Russia must pay

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    exactly. Obama did the SAME THING these dunderheads want to.
    Don't talk to Putin /marginalize him/treat him solely as a "regional power". European Reassurance Initiative.

How did that work out for us?
    Not too great.

The way to deal with Putin is somewhere between playing paddy-cake and saber rattling. Erdogan is a bigger threat than Putin. North Korea would very much like to nuke us. The Iranian mullahs are intent on starting WWIII so as to prepare the way for the 12 imam or whatever.

Putin is low on the threat totem pole right now. Putin has been made into a scapegoat because the left is pissy about losing the election. McCain jumped on board for his own ideological reasons.

And none of it, could be more transparent.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

anatta (03-25-2017)

3. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chlorate View Post
    I just don't see you as being okay with going to war over the traditional member states, either.
    with due respect..you don't see a lot other then what you want to.
    I'd go after him over the Baltics. not just pre-NATO expansion states.

The best way to do this is to establish understandings, "spheres" - not formal NATO expansion.
    You have to take his security needs seriously, not just western Europe's.This was the YUGE failing of Obama's.

Obama was passive. Get active understandings not sole NATO expansion /bellicosity.
    Play the Russian card after you do this. That separates out the Sino-Russian alliance

diplomacy is the go to carrot, along with the usual sticks

4. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Not too great.

The way to deal with Putin is somewhere between playing paddy-cake and saber rattling. Erdogan is a bigger threat than Putin. North Korea would very much like to nuke us. The Iranian mullahs are intent on starting WWIII so as to prepare the way for the 12 imam or whatever.

Putin is low on the threat totem pole right now. Putin has been made into a scapegoat because the left is pissy about losing the election. McCain jumped on board for his own ideological reasons.

And none of it, could be more transparent.
    containing Putin allows focus on those threats. Hyping up weapons puts all the emphasis on Putin.
    Get Putin off the front page with talks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Darth Omar (03-25-2017)

6. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

with due respect..you don't see a lot other then what you want to.
    I'd go after him over the Baltics. not just pre-NATO expansion states.

The best way to do this is to establish understandings, "spheres" - not formal NATO expansion.
    You have to take his security needs seriously, not just western Europe's.This was the YUGE failing of Obama's.

Obama was passive. Get active understandings not sole NATO expansion /bellicosity.
    Play the Russian card after you do this. That separates out the Sino-Russian alliance

diplomacy is the go to carrot, along with the usual sticks
    Russia has no inherent right to be messing with the former Iron Curtain states, or to be using them as some sort of defense buffer. It didn't during the USSR, and it doesn't today.

7. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, Russia is an Orthodox nation, where they celebrate the epiphany. Not sure why they settled on the 7th.
    I will find that out and get back to you. Trivia knowledge.

8. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Well, Russia is an Orthodox nation, where they celebrate the epiphany. Not sure why they settled on the 7th.
    Because the Eastern Orthodox Church uses the old Julian calendar for religious ceremonial and traditional reasons. Although I may have Julien and Gregorian backwards, I sometimes can't keep it straight.

The Catholic church adopted the more modern Gregorian calendar.

sidebar: bonus for me, as a kid I got to have two christmas'

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Minister of Truth (03-25-2017)

10. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

you are finally making sense. I'm Polish . My grandmother was from the old country. I completely understand.

Dostoevsky: "the most basic, most rudimentary spiritual need of the Russian people is the need for suffering, ever-present and unquenchable, everywhere and in everything"
    ++
    so if you can't beat Putin by "suffering" ( sanctions) -and the Cold war 2.0 isn't keeping him from expanding
    outwards in the middle east and wherever he sees an opening -what do you do?

You talk to him. You make it known that any incursion into eastern Europe will be met with force.
    Even that wouldn't have stopped Crimea where he used "little green men" and trucks to move in.
    But any incursions into the baltics ( which he would never do) is going to bring a proportionate response.

But if he behaves, then we could eventually lift sanctions..etc
    DEAL WITH HIM

But what would you do if he went into Moldova? or if he really went into Romania?
    Article 5 of NATO ties us into mutual defense Do we want to be going to war over Romania or Moldova
    or Georgia?
    That's why you don't do formal NATO expansion, even if you have "spheres of influence"agreed to w/Putin.
    Unfortunately, having a Polish grandmother and quoting Fyodor Dostoyevsky does not make you an expert international diplomat on Russia. Sidebar: Dostoyevsky was a great philosopher; I think Anton Chekhov had much better insights into the tangible nature and soul of the Russian people. Probably because he came from a serf background, was widely traveled, and saw Russia from both the perspective on the lower classes and the perspective of the gentry.

I am not going to pretend to be an arm chair diplomatic expert.

I have never advocated making Ukraine a part of NATO. I have never said we should ignore Russia's security concerns, real or imagined on their part. I have never said not to talk to Russia.

Russia violated international law in invading Ukraine.

The U.S. and western Europe promised to guarantee Ukraine's sovereign integrity in exchange for Ukraine relinquishing it's nukes. We made a promise.

It's as simple as that. Period. End of story.

11. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Russia has no inherent right to be messing with the former Iron Curtain states, or to be using them as some sort of defense buffer. It didn't during the USSR, and it doesn't today.
    lol.. you do remember the Warsaw Pact?
    "Rights" in realpolitik are almost meaningless. It's why we don't base our foreign policy on Carters' human rights anymore

You might have a point except for the fact of US meddling in the Euromaiden -what gives us any rights
    to determine the future of the Uk people? Especially a state like Uk where 1/2 the country's languge is Russia
    and the people identify themselves as such.

That's why they are called "Russian separatists" fighting in the Donbass-they are fighting against Kyiv

12. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Unfortunately, having a Polish grandmother and quoting Fyodor Dostoyevsky does not make you an expert international diplomat on Russia. Sidebar: Dostoyevsky was a great philosopher; I think Anton Chekhov had much better insights into the tangible nature and soul of the Russian people. Probably because he came from a serf background, was widely traveled, and saw Russia from both the perspective on the lower classes and the perspective of the gentry.

I am not going to pretend to be an arm chair diplomatic expert.

I have never advocated making Ukraine a part of NATO. I have never said we should ignore Russia's security concerns, real or imagined on their part. I have never said not to talk to Russia.

Russia violated international law in invading Ukraine.

The U.S. and western Europe promised to guarantee Ukraine's sovereign integrity in exchange for Ukraine relinquishing it's nukes. We made a promise.

It's as simple as that. Period. End of story.
    you a referring to the Budapest Memorandum?
    On paper that is true, but as I just mentioned above it's not that simple when the US actually meddles
    with USAID to overthrow Yanukovych.

USAID got Maidan coup up and running
    http://www.geopolitica.ru/en/news/us...g#.WNbrd6K1uM8
    According to the leaked papers, a network of interlocking NGOs– Chesno (Honestly), Center UA and Stop Censorship, to name a few – were growing in influence in Ukraine by “targeting pro-Yanukovych politicians with a well-coordinated anti-corruption campaign that built its strength in Ukraine’s regions, before massing in Kiev last autumn.”
    It was reported earlier that the Maidan unrest in the late 2013 drew large scores of western foreigners in Ukraine’s capital Kiev, including the so-called “mercenaries” from the United States, Germany and Poland.

“There weren’t many Russians there, compared to some 60 people from the United States, around 30 and up to 50 Germans, as well as Poles, Turks and many others,” one of the participants, who identified himself as Vladimir, confessed.
    The heavily fortified Maidan camp in Kiev’s Independence Square was the flashpoint of the anti-Yanukovych uprising. It attracted some of the most prominent, if not exactly controversial, public people from the West. Among them were US Republican Senators John McCain and Ryan Murphy. McCain promised protesters the support of the American nation and quoted the 19th-century Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko in his podium speech.

^McCain and Victoria Nuland meddling around Independence Sq. Kyiv
    Last edited by anatta; 03-25-2017 at 04:58 PM.

13. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

lol.. you do remember the Warsaw Pact?
    "Rights" in realpolitik are almost meaningless. It's why we don't base our foreign policy on Carters' human rights anymore

You might have a point except for the fact of US meddling in the Euromaiden -what gives us any rights
    to determine the future of the Uk people? Especially a state like Uk where 1/2 the country's languge is Russia
    and the people identify themselves as such.

That's why they are called "Russian separatists" fighting in the Donbass-they are fighting against Kyiv
    No one signed the Warsaw Pact willingly, and, the one man in a position not to, Tito, didn't sign on at all.

14. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No one signed the Warsaw Pact willingly, and, the one man in a position not to, Tito, didn't sign on at all.
    ok...and??..
    getting back to a contemporary topic..does the referendum by Crimea- post annexation - carry any weight?
    If so- or not -does it matter to the west?

15. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

ok...and??..
    getting back to a contemporary topic..does the referendum by Crimea- post annexation - carry any weight?
    If so- or not -does it matter to the west?
    People bitch and moan about what Russia did to Crimes; but when it comes to Tibet, they say very little about China.

I wonder why that is.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

16. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

you a referring to the Budapest Memorandum?
    On paper that is true, but as I just mentioned above it's not that simple when the US actually meddles
    with USAID to overthrow Yanukovych.

USAID got Maidan coup up and running
    http://www.geopolitica.ru/en/news/us...g#.WNbrd6K1uM8
    According to the leaked papers, a network of interlocking NGOs– Chesno (Honestly), Center UA and Stop Censorship, to name a few – were growing in influence in Ukraine by “targeting pro-Yanukovych politicians with a well-coordinated anti-corruption campaign that built its strength in Ukraine’s regions, before massing in Kiev last autumn.”
    It was reported earlier that the Maidan unrest in the late 2013 drew large scores of western foreigners in Ukraine’s capital Kiev, including the so-called “mercenaries” from the United States, Germany and Poland.

The heavily fortified Maidan camp in Kiev’s Independence Square was the flashpoint of the anti-Yanukovych uprising. It attracted some of the most prominent, if not exactly controversial, public people from the West. Among them were US Republican Senators John McCain and Ryan Murphy. McCain promised protesters the support of the American nation and quoted the 19th-century Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko in his podium speech.

^McCain and Victoria Nuland meddling around Independence Sq. Kyiv
    Wait. You actually provided a hyperlink to a Russian media source as supporting evidence? Surely you jest.

Chief, you strike me as someone who read a lot of Russian media sources and rightwing blogs in the last six months, and now consider yourself an expert on Russia, eager to lecture everyone with your new found knowledge.

I reject the premise of your post, especially since you linked to Russian media. Poor form, mate.

You do not know what is best for the people of Ukraine, or Russia. You do not have expert or scholarly knowledge of the topic.

Ultimately, the people of Ukraine need to sort things out for themselves, without undue interference from major powers.

I am not interested in internet poseurs who profess foreign policy and diplomatic expertise on an obscure political message board forum.

My interests are much more limited than your unfocused meanderings and ramblings. My interests are American interests and the interests of international law and order. Russia violated international law. Clearly and unequivocally. The interests of Europe, and the United states are to uphold international law and Ukraninan sovereignty.

If you want to make the case that the U.S. staged a coup in Ukraine and somehow violated international law, you are going to have to do better than an obscure Russian media source. Much, much better.

Seeing as you seemingly like to have the last word, I leave you to your ramblings and Kremilin-esque banter. Cheers!
    Last edited by Cypress; 03-25-2017 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typos

17. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

18. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans