Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Russia must pay

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Mr. Trump has accused the Obama administration of hyping the Russia story line as a way to discredit his new administration.

At the Obama White House, Mr. Trump’s statements stoked fears among some that intelligence could be covered up or destroyed — or its sources exposed — once power changed hands. What followed was a push to preserve the intelligence that underscored the deep anxiety with which the White House and American intelligence agencies had come to view the threat from Moscow.

As Inauguration Day approached, Obama White House officials grew convinced that the intelligence was damning and that they needed to ensure that as many people as possible inside government could see it, even if people without security clearances could not. Some officials began asking specific questions at intelligence briefings, knowing the answers would be archived and could be easily unearthed by investigators — including the Senate Intelligence Committee, which in early January announced an inquiry into Russian efforts to influence the election.

At intelligence agencies, there was a push to process as much raw intelligence as possible into analyses, and to keep the reports at a relatively low classification level to ensure as wide a readership as possible across the government — and, in some cases, among European allies. This allowed the upload of as much intelligence as possible to Intellipedia, a secret wiki used by American analysts to share information.

There was also an effort to pass reports and other sensitive materials to Congress. In one instance, the State Department sent a cache of documents marked “secret” to Senator Benjamin Cardin of Maryland days before the Jan. 20 inauguration. The documents, detailing Russian efforts to intervene in elections worldwide, were sent in response to a request from Mr. Cardin, the top Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee, and were shared with Republicans on the panel.

In early December, Mr. Obama ordered the intelligence community to conduct a full assessment of the Russian campaign.

In the weeks before the assessment was released in January, the intelligence community combed through databases for an array of communications and other information — some of which was months old by then — and began producing reports that showed there were contacts during the campaign between Trump associates and Russian officials.

The nature of the contacts remains unknown. Several of Mr. Trump’s associates have done business in Russia, and it is unclear if any of the contacts were related to business dealings.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/u...king.html?_r=0

It also reflected the suspicion among many in the Obama White House that the Trump campaign might have colluded with Russia on election email hacks — a suspicion that American officials say has not been confirmed. Former senior Obama administration officials said that none of the efforts were directed by Mr. Obama.

Sean Spicer, the Trump White House spokesman, said, “The only new piece of information that has come to light is that political appointees in the Obama administration have sought to create a false narrative to make an excuse for their own defeat in the election.” He added, “There continues to be no there, there.”

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Donald Trump engaged in 'cover up' over Russian links to election campaign, says Carl Bernstein

There is a “cover up” to hide connections between members of Donald Trump’s campaign team and Russia, according to one of the journalists who broke the Watergate scandal.

Carl Bernstein called the current US leader “more treacherous” than Richard Nixon, who was forced to resign 1974 after, along with Bob Woodward, he helped to unearthed a web of political spying, sabotage and bribery leading back the White House.

A persistent critic of Mr Trump, Mr Bernstein made the claim after a new report suggested that members of Mr Trump's administration may have coordinated with Russia during the presidential campaign.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7645051.html

Bernstein is a hack. Woodward is much more circumspect,and also wants investigations on the leakers.
    Bernstein has been losing his mind of late to Trumpmania

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

JJared Kushner to speak to Senate committee over his meeting with Russian ambassador Sergei Kislyak
    ared Kushner will face questioning as part of a Senate Intelligence Committee investigation into contact between Trump aides and Russian operatives.

Mr Kushner, the President’s son-in-law and Senior Adviser, will be the closest person to the President to be questioned on the alleged links to Russia during the 2016 campaign.

The 36-year-old, who has been tapped to lead the new White House Office of Innovation, met with Russian ambassador Sergei Kislyak at Trump Tower in December.
    The meeting was also attended by former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, who was forced to resign after it was revealed he misled Mr Trump and Vice President Mike Pence about the extent of his communication with the ambassador.

Mr Kushner also met with the head of Russia’s state-owned development bank, according to sources as reported by the New York Times.

Former President Barack Obama sanctioned the bank, Vnesheconombank, and other Russian banks in 2014 after Russia annexed Ukraine's Crimea.

Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks said that Mr Kushner met with dozens of officials from foreign countries. Members of the transition team do set up meetings and forge contacts before the Inauguration, which is not unusual.

Ms Hicks also said Mr Kushner “isn’t trying to hide anything” and would speak to the panel.

A White House official also said that Mr Kushner had already "volunteered" to speak to the Senate Intelligence Committee and had "not heard back yet".

The New York Times reported that later in December last year, Mr Kislyak requested a second meeting with Mr Kushner, and the then-newspaper editor and real estate developer asked a deputy to attend.

At Mr Kislyak’s request, Mr Kushner then met Sergei Gorkov, head of Vnesheconombank, which was also sanctioned by the European Union after Russia invaded Ukraine.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7652341.html

4. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    rejecting the source without refuting the info isn't meaningful.
    How difficult do you think it is to find non-State dept or western links about USAID money being used to subvert the Maiden? I DID post pics of McCain and Nuland for you-they were there for the putsch.
    I'll look around some more -we want you to be happy

like I said before-post what you want to,and i'll post mine.
    for someone who has traveled to Uk you show little knowledge. Add something thoughtful for once instead of complaining and maybe i'll take you seriously.
    dude I'm not you mate,chief, friend, amigo or anything else.Nor do i give a Russian rats ass what you reject or accept. Put up your ideas,and we'll see -so far all I hear from you is bitching about mine

lol..DO i CLAIM any knowledge? Do I CLAIM going to the Uk has imparted any wisdom? It's a freaking messageboard- you can read it,post on it, skip it for all I care. And i do not.

my point about all this, while you mention without context dead letters like the Budapest Memorandum

I am not interested in your constant kvetching while saying nothing additional

my my, aren't we verbose about our "interests" and using ad homs on my posts while repeating the same stale uni-point you make about the Budapest memorandum. You are tediously boring
    I'll do that-just for you Chief.

You keep telling me to have the last word, then you keep answering me.
    Man that guy suffers from severe verbal diarrhoea!

Sent from Lenovo K6 Note

5. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny jailed for anti-government protest
    Political activist will appeal 15-day sentence, lawyer says

housands of anti-corruption protesters took to the streets of Moscow and other cities across Russia on Sunday, demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.

Mr Navalny was detained while walking to the protest from a nearby train station, and held overnight.
    n Monday, he was jailed 15 days after the court ruled the political activist disobeyed instructions from a police officer during the demonstration.

He was also fined 20,000 roubles (£280) for a second offence, namely his role in organising the protest, which Russian authorities said was illegal, but avoided a further 15 days in prison – the maximum sentence for that crime.

Mr Navalny is expected to the appeal the sentence, his lawyer said.

Speaking from the defendant’s bench, Mr Navalny said: "Even the slightest illusion of fair justice is absent here.

"Yesterday's events have shown that quite a large number of voters in Russia support the programme of a candidate who stands for fighting corruption.

Reuters reported that a group of 20 of Mr Navalny’s supporters were arrested after surrounding a police van the opposition leader was being held in after his court appearance.

Russian state television completely ignored the protests in their broadcasts on Sunday, despite police having made around 1,000 arrests.

Among those detained were Mr Navalny's associates, who were at their office monitoring footage of the Moscow rally.

Thirteen of them spent the night at a police station while authorities raided their office.
    he protests are thought to be the biggest in at least five years, and come amid growing pressure from the US and EU for the Kremlin to release political prisoners.

A French foreign ministry spokesman said the crackdown on protests was of "deep concern" to the government.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7652121.html

6. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Milagro View Post
    Man that guy suffers from severe verbal diarrhoea!
    Sent from Lenovo K6 Note
    well the situation is far from black and white, and Crimea is a done deal.
    Better to look at Donbass-that's where it's all happening now with the Russian separatists.

How about recognition of Russia annexing the Ukraine, if Putin pulls all troops out of Donbass?
    There are deals to be made especially now with the bridge over the Kerch Straits
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerch_Strait_Bridge

7. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    well the situation is far from black and white, and Crimea is a done deal.
    Better to look at Donbass-that's where it's all happening now with the Russian separatists.

How about recognition of Russia annexing the Ukraine, if Putin pulls all troops out of Donbass?
    There are deals to be made especially now with the bridge over the Kerch Straits
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerch_Strait_Bridge
    Not sure that bridge is going to last very long!!

http://www.newsweek.com/putin-bridge...ollapse-541578

Sent from Lenovo K6 Note

8. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

9. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Milagro View Post
    Not sure that bridge is going to last very long!!

http://www.newsweek.com/putin-bridge...ollapse-541578

Sent from Lenovo K6 Note
    well the Yanukovych presidency did approve construction
    And the ending of sanctions will not significantly change the situation. According to a separate agreement between Ukraine and Russia, any construction in the Kerch Strait has to be with the permission of both sides. For that reason alone, all construction work is totally illegal. Additionally, the U.N. General Assembly has condemned Russia’s occupation of Crimea, and the International Criminal Court has said Russia’s invasion of Crimea constitutes an international military conflict.
    ..but I was unaware of the icebergs,and one ASSUMES the pilings are deep enough to get thru the sludge bottom.
    Arkady Rotenberg (builder) took it on as 'patriotic duty' and claimed he did test the pilings were deep enough