Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smog In Western U.S. Starts Out As Pollution In Asia, Researchers Say

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Milagro View Post
    The reason the US is much cleaner now is because you've exported your pollution to China and India.

Sent from Lenovo K5 Note:
    To piss off snowflakes, bottom feeders and racists
    thats oceans of bullocks too. The US industrial out put has seen huge growth since the 1970's while simultaneously doing a very good job of managing pollution.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    There is certainly much truth in that...

In my example, the valley formerly known as the Santa Clara valley, aka Silicon Valley, it was mostly cars, there was little industry there & added to that the pollution blowing down from SF & Oakland......
    sorry but there is virtually no truth to Tom's comment.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    It was those situations in the US and public outcry against pollution that lead to the bipartisan creation of the EPA and land mark pollution laws such as the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act that fixed the problem.

Developing nations often have these pollution problems because public infrastructure and the legal framework has not kept up with economic development.

In regards to air pollution in Asian cities it is mainly due to the massive numbers of small two stroke engine vehicles with horrible emissions and diesel powered vehicle.

To anyone born after 1970 it's appalling the level of pollution you see in developing nations. For those of us born before 1970 it's not because that's how it used to be here.
    I recall how it was, & every time I drive through San Jose I am reminded.. I hate to think that pollution may be returning......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

thats oceans of bullocks too. The US industrial out put has seen huge growth since the 1970's while simultaneously doing a very good job of managing pollution.
    Sorry mate but huge amounts of polluting industries and processes have been exported to China. Rare earths and lithium processing are just two that spring to mind. That you don't want to believe that surprises me not one little bit.

You do seem to have this propensity to deny the undeniable, you need to do something about that!

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...tion-to-china/

Last edited by cancel2 2022; 03-19-2017 at 03:01 AM.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

sorry but there is virtually no truth to Tom's comment.
    Bullshit on stilts!!

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Say what? Have you been playing "bobbing for French Fries" again?

Pollution and cleanliness are two completely different issues. I've seen plenty of Americans who live like pigs and I know plenty of Asians who are clean freaks to the point of it being a fetish.
    I have never been in a Thai or Vietnamese house, and I've been in many as you know, where there were anything other than impeccably clean. My missus is not too bad but some of her friends are practically OCD.

Last edited by cancel2 2022; 03-19-2017 at 03:23 AM.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sorry mate but huge amounts of polluting industries and processes have been exported to China. Rare earths and lithium processing are just two that spring to mind. That you don't want to believe that surprises me not one little bit.

You do seem to have this propensity to deny the undeniable, you need to do something about that!

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...tion-to-china/

It's utter nonsense Tom. The US is not responsible for China's lack of air pollution emissions control nor is it reasonable to assign blame to China's export markets for China's pollution. The technology and controls to reduce or eliminate those emissions are widely known and widely available. China is responsible for their air pollution by not implementing adequate control standards for air pollution.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Cypress (03-20-2017)

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I have never been in a Thai or Vietnamese house, and I've been in many as you know, where there were anything other than impeccably clean. My missus is not too bad but some of her friends are practically OCD.

my wife isn't OCD about cleanliness. She's closer to IWKY. I will kill you if you walk in here with your dirty shoes again.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

my wife isn't OCD about cleanliness. She's closer to IWKY. I will kill you if you walk in here with your dirty shoes again.
    Yes well many Thai women are like that, I really think they would dip you in disinfectant if they could!

Sent from Lenovo K6 Note

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (03-20-2017)

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's utter nonsense Tom. The US is not responsible for China's lack of air pollution emissions control nor is it reasonable to assign blame to China's export markets for China's pollution. The technology and controls to reduce or eliminate those emissions are widely known and widely available. China is responsible for their air pollution by not implementing adequate control standards for air pollution.
    Oh come on, how can you be so naive, why do you think jobs were exported in the first place? Lower wage costs, far lower environmental standards all add up to far more profits for US companies. Why do you even try to deny the blatantly obvious?

The only US producer of rare earths Molycorp has gone bankrupt because prices have crashed. They just couldn't compete with China as they were subject to far higher environmental standards.

Sent from Lenovo K6 Note

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Oh come on, how can you be so naive, why do you think jobs were exported in the first place? Lower wage costs, far lower environmental standards all add up to far more profits for US companies. Why do you even try to deny the blatantly obvious?

The only US producer of rare earths Molycorp has gone bankrupt because prices have crashed. They just couldn't compete with China as they were subject to far higher environmental standards.

Sent from Lenovo K6 Note
    What does this have to do with China's government not requiring sufficient pollution control technologies be used by Industry?

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Default Smog In Western U.S. Starts Out As Pollution In Asia, Researchers Say

What does this have to do with China's government not requiring sufficient pollution control technologies be used by Industry?
    If you can't see a link between the off-shoring of jobs and businesses to China because of far lower costs then I really don't know what to say to you?? I seriously cannot believe that you are unaware that many US companies are cleaner now because they export their dirty processes to China and India.

"Toxic emissions from manufacturing plants in the United States have dropped as the production of more pollution-intensive goods shifted to low-wage countries, says a University of Michigan researcher.

"We found that domestic plants pollute less on American soil as their parent firm imports more from low-wage countries. They also shift production to less pollution-intensive industries, produce less waste and spend less on pollution abatement," said Yue Maggie Zhou, assistant professor of strategy at U-M's Ross School of Business.

Zhou and co-author Xiaoyang Li of Shanghai Jiaotong University found that when a U.S. plant's owner increases imports from low-wage countries by 10 percent, the plant's toxic emissions at home fall 4 to 6 percent."

https://m.phys.org/news/2017-03-clea...ers-dirty.html
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 03-21-2017 at 12:33 AM.