Thread: BP 'fell short' on pipeline, execs admit

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thumbs down BP 'fell short' on pipeline, execs admit

BP 'fell short' on pipeline, execs admit
    Malone calls operating failures 'unacceptable', Woollam pleads Fifth', as execs grilled over Prudhoe Bay.
    By Aaron Smith, CNNMoney.com staff writer
    September 7 2006: 1:49 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- BP's top U.S. executives told lawmakers Thursday that the company stumbled by failing to prevent a major Alaskan pipeline from getting crippled by corrosion.

At the hearing, a former BP official responsible for monitoring pipeline corrosion invoked the Fifth Amendment in response to the panel's questions about the problems that led to the partial shutdown of the nation's largest oilfield.
    bob_malone.03.jpg
    Bob Malone, U.S. operations chief for BP

"BP's operating failures are unacceptable," BP America Chairman Bob Malone told members of a House panel. "They have fallen short of what the American people expect of BP and they have fallen short of what we expect of ourselves."

For complete story goto:
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/07/news...s/bp/index.htm

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That is bad. But there is no law against being a bad businessman. And there goes those huge profits. Are you happy now? LOL

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

There must have been a law broken, else the 5th would not apply.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think they are being sued by customers that did not get shipments of oil. also an oil spill happened because of the corrosion.

5. #5 | Top
    TRGLDTE Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    There must have been a law broken, else the 5th would not apply.
    Not necessarily.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte27 View Post
    Not necessarily.
    While that may be true in some narrow set of criteria, it is clear that since if as it appears the company or the company's representatives knew of the problem but ignored it for short term profits or worse according to some reports for management performance bonuses, then the probability is that there is indeed some malfeasance here. At the minimum those in charge are guilty of putting their own well-being above that of the stock-holders and I think that somewhere there is the requirement that publicly held companies are supposed to operate in the best interests of the stock-holders, no? Isn't that in fact the law? Certainly the trouble that BP now finds itself in could or should have been forseen, and steps to prevent this happening could and should have been taken, wouldn't that have been unltimately in the best interests of the stock-holders?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

The Fifth applies to incriminating one's self in potential illegality. It doesn't mean a law was broken, only that there might have been, and any testimony would incriminate the person unfairly, if it has.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,530 Times in 2,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 479 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries

the above post by Dixie is the first thing he has written that I agree with in nearly a year.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Maine, After I had to agree with 2 things dixie said the other day, I had to go see a shrink. He told me that it was just laws of probabilities, if someone said enough things eventually I would have to agree with something that person said , even if they were wacko.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Either you can incriminate yourself (law was broken) or you cannot. It may be just an "appearance" but something must, in reality, have happened.

I could, right at this moment, testify all day long without once incriminating myself accidentally.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle