Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Polls: Support for Obamacare at all-time high

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Republicans finally show their hand on Obamacare repeal: It could be worse but it’s still a total mess
    Republicans unveil a "repeal and repair" plan that will make a decent system worse and should energize Democrats

Congressional Republicans, led by House Speaker Paul Ryan, are about to walk into their own Obamacare propeller. As we’ve discussed for several months now, the Trump administration and the Republicans continue to quietly and desperately formulate a way to repeal and replace the increasingly popular Affordable Care Act (otherwise known as “Obamacare”), even though there’s no way to do it without stripping away health care from millions of Americans.

Further scrambling the GOP’s repeal mission is the reality that many individual sections of the law are inextricably linked to other sections. For example, Republicans are determined to repeal the least popular aspect of the law: the individual mandate. But the mandate happens to be linked to the law’s most popular section: covering patients with pre-existing conditions. The insurance lobby accepted the latter solely because of the former — the mandate that forces everyone to buy insurance during annual open enrollment windows. Insurers have rightfully noted that repealing the mandate allows customers to buy insurance only when they’re sick or injured and then drop coverage when they’ve recovered, thus scamming the system.

Nevertheless, the Republicans have*unveiled their new plan for replacing Obamacare, and it’s just about what we’ve expected. Simply put, poor people will be screwed and millions will lose their insurance coverage.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/u...rich.html?_r=1

Republican Health Proposal Would Redirect Money From Poor to Rich
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/u...rich.html?_r=1
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 2,207 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 970 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fishlore View Post
    Support for Obamacare is at an all-time high, according to two surveys released this week as Republican leaders continue to press the case for repeal amid fierce resistance at many town halls.

The latest Health Tracking Poll from the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 48% of Americans view the law favorably, compared to 42% who have an unfavorable view. This is the highest level of favorability measured in more than 60 Kaiser Health Tracking Polls conducted since 2010.
    The boost comes largely from independents, half of whom view Obamacare favorably compared to 39% who don't. Nearly three-quarters of Democrats continue to view it favorably, while about the same share of Republicans have an unfavorable view.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/24/politi...t-record-high/
    How can anyone favor a healthcare plan that uses the IRS to punish the uninsured? I mean besides the pervert masochists holding the Democratic Party hostage?

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default No easy way out

The GOP is in a tight spot because they have made a promise that they can't keep. There is no magic plan that will keep all the things people like about ACA while repealing Obamacare. The party has tried for seven years and there are substantive reasons why it can't be done. In the end, the Obamacare repeal flap is going to be like the Social Security repeal flaps. Every time one is tried, it ends up a net loss for the GOP.

As he was with his investors in Atlantic City, Trump has cleverly left himself an escape hatch on the whole healthcare mess. He has promised to keep all the popular features of Obamacare. He has promised not to touch Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid either. If the Republican Party can come up with some politically popular changes in any of these entitlements, Trump will leap on board and claim victory for himself. If, as seems much more likely, the GOP comes up with some cockamamie plan along the lines of Dubbya's privatizing Social Security, Trump will step nimbly off the sinking ship and leave the party's fiscal conservatives to deal with the Democratic sharks on their own. No matter what happens, President Trump will be looking out for Number One.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Granule View Post
    How can anyone favor a healthcare plan that uses the IRS to punish the uninsured? I mean besides the pervert masochists holding the Democratic Party hostage?
    The bigger question to me was always how the hell did it pass in the Supreme Court ?

It was written and passed as a big lie and they ignored that....it was unconstitutional from the second it passed congress....then

the SC actually when out of their way to fix it during SC arguments.....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

If so many didn't rely on this for their life & health, it would be kind of comedic to watch Trump & the GOP right now.

Remember when they were going to repeal and replace on "Day 1"?

Just a lot of empty rhetoric, as usual.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

I don't have the quotation handy, but I heard others discussing comments former Speaker Boehner made about Trump's repeal & replace promise.

They said Boehner said:

a) They wouldn't repeal ACA and replace it with a "better" Republican plan, so the Republicans will end up making attempted improvements to ACA instead.

b) Republicans don't agree on healthcare, and thus could not coordinate a plan as well as the Democrats did with ACA.

Those reporting this about Boehner seemed to think Boehner was certain about it.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"How can anyone favor a healthcare plan that uses the IRS to punish the uninsured?" G #19

I thought that had been a standard feature of Medicaid for years if not decades. Isn't participation above a certain age mandatory?

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    "How can anyone favor a healthcare plan that uses the IRS to punish the uninsured?" G #19

I thought that had been a standard feature of Medicaid for years if not decades. Isn't participation above a certain age mandatory?
    Asperger Boy hits the nail on the head. The decision by the SCOTUS that the fine for failing to get insured is a form of tax means that collection of the tax falls to the IRS. The fact that the tax involved is for healthcare isn't significant.

Righties don't like the ACA mandate. I understand. I'm sure they don't like compulsory automobile insurance either. No American really likes compulsion and nobody enjoys paying a tax. Some things in life you just have to do. The balance with ACA is between personal preference and the need for adequate medical care for all Americans. You live in a society, you have an obligation to that society.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Fishlore For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (02-26-2017)

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

All time high is less than half......so it has never been liked by a majority......

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post

no penalties....

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    The Trump cult will just run away from threads like this.

After 7 years of screaming Obamacare .. suddenly they're mute.

They have no idea how to replace it.

Perhaps they'll replace Obamacare with the ACA.
    I have a foolproof idea. I'll provide it for me/my family and you can provide yours and that of anyone else's you personally think should have it that currently doesn't. Both of us get what we want. I have insurance and provide it to the only ones for which I am responsible and you prove that you truly care for others by using your own money to do for them what you say they deserve.

Liberals don't like that idea. It involves them having to DO something rather than claiming they care and having to do nothing but support taxpayers funding what they say they support happening.

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    If so many didn't rely on this for their life & health, it would be kind of comedic to watch Trump & the GOP right now.

Remember when they were going to repeal and replace on "Day 1"?

Just a lot of empty rhetoric, as usual.
    What's comedic is that you think people using taxpayer funded subsidies to purchase something are actually purchasing it themselves.

What's comedic is bleeding heart pieces of shit like you claim to care whether or not other have healthcare but when offered the option to provide it to them yourselves, you run like a welfare leech from a job application.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

The ACA is such a great thing it's in a death spiral lol.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    The ACA is such a great thing it's in a death spiral lol.
    Obamacare: Something so great it had to be mandated.

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 17 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Obamacare: Something so great it had to be mandated.
    The mandate was a republican idea that Obama adopted, BOY...

USFREEDOM911 Expresses one of his homosexual prison rape fantasies;
    Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    he may be getting several boners, they just won't be his.
    "You got shot in the balls and you're still walking!! Then this probably won't hurt you at all (as he unzips his pants)."

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    I would kill someone who didn't pay me, after I give them a blowjob.
    Does that make me insane?