Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Spicer: States will likely see 'greater enforcement' of federal law against rec mj

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    division of power ,balance of power. Of course. My point is federalism changes over time.
    There is no "marblecake federalism"anymore. I doubt what we have can even be called co-operatative federalism lile during FDR's time.

The powers of the feds-mostly thru the advancing of the regulatory state have been growing since Reagan.
    We don't even use just block grants anymore,like in housing where we tell locals where to put subsidized housing-
    not just to create it. the point is left unchecked federal powers are like kudzu vine. They need to be constantly
    checked -but there are still unambiguous powers that fall under the supremacy claue
    ++
    It's an interesting opinion piece -i'm fairly sure that "withholding funds when states or localities violate federal laws and regulations" would be Constitutional..again many grants have compliance language.

For sure no one is arguing the feds' can withhold funding on a wholesale basis,
    but they would be on firm ground where it's contractual.

Also those plenary powers of the executive on immigration are written by statute no matter how weird the 9th Appellate wants to interpret it.
    Your point was that...

Federalism isn't "states rights", and it isn't "local control" or any of the terms you mishmash together
    Is clearly wrong. Of course, federalism is about those issues addressed by "states' rights" and/or local control.

That the balance of power changes has nothing to do with your inability to define the word.

It's not contractual here. You are making a bunch of bullshit excuses.... if if if. None of them apply and meanwhile you cheer his attacks on Federalism and his attempts to assume powers he does not possess.

No fucking statute over rules the constitution or can possibly give the President, Congress or anybody else an exemption from it. Congress has no power to grant the President any exemptions to the Constitution. Your plenary powers are bullshit. Certainly, the executive is afforded some deference but now way in hell is his power unqualified. Nothing in the constitution says it is or could be.

You are nothing but a fraud toting water for a wannabe dictator.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Timshel For This Post:

Rune (02-24-2017)

3. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

good gawd man
    How does it not apply to the President or the ability of congress to grant him new powers? You claim an exemption that does not exist anywhere. No statute can grant it.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Timshel For This Post:

Rune (02-24-2017)

5. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

[QUOTE=Dick from the Internet;1845475]
    ur point was that...
    Is clearly wrong. Of course, federalism is about those issues addressed by "states' rights" and/or local control.
    your inability to use standard definitions instead of shorthand "states rights" local control"
    is problematic. you used "division of power" I agreed -and yet you comeback with these mishmash and tellme i'm wrong?
    This is why it's absolutely useless debating you. your points are as firm as jello -and all you really want to do is argue in absurdum. Find someone else to play the circle game.

That the balance of power changes has nothing to do with your inability to define the word.
    i defined it, i defined it over time, and i defined the fact it'd encroaching thru the regulatory state

It's not contractual here. You are making a bunch of bullshit excuses.... if if if. None of them apply and meanwhile
    you cheer his attacks on Federalism and his attempts to assume powers he does not possess.

No fucking statute over rules the constitution or can possibly give the President, Congress or anybody else an exemption from it. Congress has no power to grant the President any exemptions to the Constitution. Your plenary powers are bullshit. Certainly, the executive is afforded some deference but now way in hell is his power unqualified. Nothing in the constitution says it is or could be.

You are nothing but a fraud toting water for a wannabe dictator.
    Congress has granted statutory powers that are so wide they are plenary powers over immigration.
    Kissinger: “demonization of Vladimir Putin is not a policy; it is an alibi for the absence of one.”
    ________

Cold War 2.0 Russia hysteria is turning people’s brains into guacamole.
    We’ve got to find a way to snap out of the propaganda trance
    ________

Buddha: "trust the person who seeks truth and mistrust the person who claims he has found it "
    1.2.3.4.5.6.7. All Good Children Go to Heaven

6. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

your inability to use standard definitions instead of shorthand "states rights" local control"
    is problematic. you used "division of power" I agreed -and yet you comeback with these mishmash and tellme i'm wrong?
    This is why it's absolutely useless debating you. your points are as firm as jello -and all you really want to do is argue in absurdum. Find someone else to play the circle game.

i defined it, i defined it over time, and i defined the fact it'd encroaching thru the regulatory state

It's not contractual here. You are making a bunch of bullshit excuses.... if if if. None of them apply and meanwhile Congress has granted statutory powers that are so wide they are plenary powers over immigration.
    My definition of federalism IS the standard definition! Yes, you are wrong. Federalism absolutely touches on those issues.

State whatever weird definition you want to use, jackass, and just STFU about it.

Congress cannot grant any unqualified powers to the executive through statute. No such power is granted to them by the constitution. Your attempts to destroy federalism and our republic by creating a dictatorship will have to come through an amendment.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timshel For This Post:

Phantasmal (02-24-2017), Rune (02-24-2017)

8. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dick from the Internet View Post
    My definition of federalism IS the standard definition! Yes, you are wrong. Federalism absolutely touches on those issues.
    of course it "touches" but those words you were using are not a defininition -it's simplistic dumbed down wording to use "states rights".
    It's pejorative, not accurate and should only be used in quotes like I did.

State whatever weird definition you want to use, jackass, and just STFU about it.
    i have no idea what we practice now..we're past 'new federalism', I suppose the best definition is regulatory/administrative over-reach in to state affairs. as i've mentioned before.
    But that does not mean there aren't enumerated powers of the feds on immigration and by statute.

how about "new and improved" federalism..lol. the Unitary president still has enumerated powers -it's that over-reach that is problematic.
    Congress cannot grant any unqualified powers to the executive through statute. No such power is granted to them by the constitution. Your attempts to destroy federalism and our republic by creating a dictatorship will have to come through an amendment.
    hyperbolic nonsense even from you

9. The Following User Groans At anatta For This Awful Post:

Rune (02-24-2017)

10. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"Congress has granted statutory powers that are so wide they are plenary powers over immigration." a #108

By some weak interpretation of text book notion perhaps.
    But congress is a LEGISLATIVE body. They don't carry guns, Mace, and handcuffs and scurry around writing parking tickets.

If the U.S. federal government had infinite resources, then U.S. federal statutes might as well be the word of god.

But in practice, BECAUSE U.S. resources are finite, priorities are by necessity implemented in the enforcement of congress' statutes.
    And unless enumerated in the statutory language, those priorities become the purview of, in this case, the president.

You don't need me to explain the equilibrium of "separation of powers". But as you know, an equilibrium is not static. It's a perpetual contest for authority.

Right now, on this issue, it seems like President Trump may be winning. But the fat lady ain't singin' yet.

11. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

of course it "touches" but those words you were using are not a defininition -it's simplistic dumbed down wording to use "states rights".
    It's pejorative, not accurate and should only be used in quotes like I did.

i have no idea what we practice now..we're past 'new federalism', I suppose the best definition is regulatory/administrative over-reach in to state affairs. as i've mentioned before.
    But that does not mean there aren't enumerated powers of the feds on immigration and by statute.

how about "new and improved" federalism..lol. the Unitary president still has enumerated powers -it's that over-reach that is problematic.
    hyperbolic nonsense even from you
    FUCK OFF! I don't need instructions from someone as stupid as you on my word choices!

I did not use it as a definition, I mentioned those things in the same sentence because they are OBVIOUSLY related. Apparently, you did not know but it is a fact that federalism deals with issues raised by "states' rights" arguments and those concerning local control.

The only enumerated power in the constitution even related to immigration is granted to congress.

If congress could simply grant the President exemption from the tenth amendment it would absolutely destroy federalism.

You are a fraud. You apparently don't have the first clue what our Constitution says or what federalism is.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Timshel For This Post:

Rune (02-24-2017)

13. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    But in practice, BECAUSE U.S. resources are finite, priorities are by necessity implemented in the enforcement of congress' statutes.And unless enumerated in the statutory language, those priorities become the purview of, in this case, the president.
    Nope. The president cannot add any stipulations, congress has to enumerate them "unambiguously" in the statute and they have not.

Right now, on this issue, it seems like President Trump may be winning. But the fat lady ain't singin' yet.
    He will definitely lose on this case. I am barely worried about it or I would have rasied the issue before.

14. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"Nope." DI #113

Yup.

"The president cannot add any stipulations" DI #113

"Stipulations"? I don't recall where that word was introduced into this discussion.

Your ostensibly corrective wording:
    "congress has to enumerate them "unambiguously" in the statute and they have not." DI #113

My posted comment which you are ostensibly correcting:
    ".And unless enumerated in the statutory language, those priorities become the purview of, in this case, the president." s

There you go. You're agreeing with me, and pretending to correct me all in the same sentence fragment.

"congress has to enumerate them "unambiguously" in the statute and they have not." DI #113

Excellent!
    Then please explain to us why:
    a) Obama was able to adjust the standard from birth certificate designated gender to the gender self-identification standard, and

b) how Trump is now able to reverse it

yet the statutory language hasn't changed IN EITHER CASE !

You are ostensibly disagreeing with me, despite the wording of your post.
    But the newspapers are proving me correct daily.

15. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

FUCK OFF! I don't need instructions from someone as stupid as you on my word choices!

I did not use it as a definition, I mentioned those things in the same sentence because they are OBVIOUSLY related. Apparently, you did not know but it is a fact that federalism deals with issues raised by "states' rights" arguments and those concerning local control.

The only enumerated power in the constitution even related to immigration is granted to congress.

If congress could simply grant the President exemption from the tenth amendment it would absolutely destroy federalism.

You are a fraud. You apparently don't have the first clue what our Constitution says or what federalism is.
    as long as you put "states right" in quotes you are good. There is no such stand alone definition of states rights.

mindlessly ignorant to even bring this up. Congress delegates immigration authortty to POTUS, POTUS enforces by administrative law.

POTUS has wide latititude -look at DARPA by Obama. It just so happened Texas et all US
    caught Obama up as "legislating".. Other then "legislating" POTUS powers are extensive.

It's not unreasonable to say that withholding funds on immigration related matters isn't Constitutional.
    It depends on how they are drawn..

* you look so cute when you blow up *
    Kissinger: “demonization of Vladimir Putin is not a policy; it is an alibi for the absence of one.”
    ________

Cold War 2.0 Russia hysteria is turning people’s brains into guacamole.
    We’ve got to find a way to snap out of the propaganda trance
    ________

Buddha: "trust the person who seeks truth and mistrust the person who claims he has found it "
    1.2.3.4.5.6.7. All Good Children Go to Heaven

16. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"Nope." DI #113

Yup.

"The president cannot add any stipulations" DI #113

"Stipulations"? I don't recall where that word was introduced into this discussion.

Your ostensibly corrective wording:

My posted comment which you are ostensibly correcting:
    ".And unless enumerated in the statutory language, those priorities become the purview of, in this case, the president." s

There you go. You're agreeing with me, and pretending to correct me all in the same sentence fragment.

Excellent!

I don't think I am answering with you but maybe I am wrong.

Your words suggests that the President can direct the priority of resource usage so long as Congress has not enumerated any priorities in the statute.

But in practice, BECAUSE U.S.resources are finite, priorities are by necessity implemented in the enforcement of congress' statutes.And unless enumerated in the statutory language, those priorities become the purview of, in this case, the president.

But that is not really the case. The President cannot set priorities by cutting funding based on non compliance with directives unless they are enumerated in the statue. If I am not disagreeing with you then ok but I still think your sentences are a bit misleading.

Then please explain to us why:
    a) Obama was able to adjust the standard from birth certificate designated gender to the gender self-identification standard, and

b) how Trump is now able to reverse it

yet the statutory language hasn't changed IN EITHER CASE !

You are ostensibly disagreeing with me, despite the wording of your post.
    But the newspapers are proving me correct daily.
    a) I assume you are asking in relation to the the bathroom issues... I don't know what his basis for that was but I am guessing it is title IX. I can look deeper but title IX gives the feds the power to cut funding for gender discrimination.

b) Trump can reverse any EO.

17. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

as long as you put "states right" in quotes you are good. There is no such stand alone definition of states rights.

States' rights. States' rights. States' rights....

I usually put the term "states' rights" in quotes because the concept is utter bullshit (states do not have rights). IDK, why you insist on them but I am guessing it's based on your ignorance of the language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scare_quotes
    https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/577/01/

mindlessly ignorant to even bring this up. Congress delegates immigration authortty to POTUS, POTUS enforces by administrative law.
    No, most immigration law is set in statute not through administrative law.

If congress must delegate to the Prez then that is obviously not a plenary or unquestioned power and Congress certainly cannot grant exemption to the tenth.

POTUS has wide latititude -look at DARPA by Obama. It just so happened Texas et all US
    caught Obama up as "legislating".. Other then "legislating" POTUS powers are extensive.
    Spending is clearly a legislative power.

It's not unreasonable to say that withholding funds on immigration related matters isn't Constitutional.
    It depends on how they are drawn..

* you look so cute when you blow up *
    ??? Your triple negative makes your meaning a little hard to determine. Did you mean...

It's reasonable to say that withholding funds on immigration related matters is Constitutional.

It has to be related to immigration and it has to be done by congress.

Please, take a break from attacking our democracy and take a refresher course in the English language, comrade. LOL

18. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

States' rights. States' rights. States' rights....

I usually put the term "states' rights" in quotes because the concept is utter bullshit (states do not have rights). IDK, why you insist on them but I am guessing it's based on your ignorance of the language.
    fantastic..keep up the quotes,and you'll get no corrections from myself

No, most immigration law is set in statute not through administrative law.
    *duh* It's enforced thru administrative law -exactly what I said, yet you fail to comprehend,or reactively disagree

If congress must delegate to the Prez then that is obviously not a plenary or unquestioned power and Congress certainly cannot grant exemption to the tenth.
    why you keep going on and on is not my concern.
    POTUS has wide discressionary power -so long as it's not effectively legislating enforcement
    again see Tx et all v US

Spending is clearly a legislative power.
    .....you are flat lining..when discresionary enforcement becomes much more then simple "prosecutorial discretion" it is in fact legislating..spending has nothing to do with it

??? Your triple negative makes your meaning a little hard to determine. Did you mean...
    by anatta
    It has to be related to immigration and it has to be done by congress.
    you miss the idea that POTUS can enjoin funding to states who do not conform to administrative guidelines.
    Obama was threatening the exact same thing with his "guidance" on bathroom law.

19. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

" The President cannot set priorities by cutting funding based on non compliance with directives unless they are enumerated in the statue. " DI #116

Congress controls the $purse $strings.

BUT !!

If congress appropriates $X.xx for ICE, the president has some influence on HOW that $X.xx is spent.

For example, Obama reportedly deported more illegal aliens in 8 years than Bush did in 8 years.

BUT !!

Obama's priority was to deport those with records of violent crime, rather than tax paying soccer Moms that happened to not have documentation.

20. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

PS

The thread topic is rec mj. I'll try to steer it back there.

"..when discresionary enforcement becomes much more then simple "prosecutorial discretion" it is in fact legislating..spending has nothing to do with it" a #118

It's all up & down the line.
    Do prosecutors have discretion? SURE!

Do the front-line troops (local State & federal law enforcers) have discretion? SURE!

Does everyone else in the chain have discretion? OF COURSE!

BUT !!

It's the president that has policy discretion, more so than the DEA agent with the handcuffs tucked into the utility belt of his uniform.