Thread: Considerations

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
    Let me have fun with my fucking screen name. Okay?
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
    I've already decided on a badass new screen name inspired by Taboo. I can revisit Pocahontas whenever she starts campaigning for president.
    Taboo is awesome.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milagro View Post
    Well if it was an event like an asteroid landing or Yellowstone Park erupting, the Sun would obscured or even totally blocked for many months or years. I really couldn't see the point being in a Mad Max world that was pitch black and cold as fuck.

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk
    But if you look at projected maps, it wouldn't be the entire world; even with Yellowstone erupting, it would be like a wide belt around the world.

I also mentioned some other scenarios, so expand your mind and consider the possibilities.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to USFREEDOM911 For This Post:

Rune (02-22-2017)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Well I was raised on a farm and I learned how to raise crops and grow fruits and vegetables and how to preserve food stuffs via smoking and canning though those skill have atrophied so I'd hate to be put to the test. I also learned wood craft as a kid but again those skills have atrophied.

As for making black powder I memorized that formula a long time ago but finding salt peter and sulfur can be problematic. You can extract salt peter from animal urine but the quality is low so for practical purposes I'd have to hike to eastern Kentucky to find mineral deposits of either. Now if you could find an abandoned laboratory or chemical supplier that had not been raided both would be easily available but producing black powder in a reliable form is more difficult and dangerous then might be assumed. Sulfur is definitely easier to find as you can usually find that near coal deposits or hot springs. If I had access to chemicals I wouldn't bother with black powder but would make gun cotton (smokeless powder) and you could make a shit load of mercury fulminate from an old mercury switch for primers but again if chemical supplies were available in an abandoned lab I'd use lead azide. You can make lead azide by mixing lead acetate with sodium azide and precipitating it.
    Thanks; because this is the kind of input I had hoped for.
    I could imagine people resorting back to crossbows and hand held bows.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I would imagine having knowledge of chemistry would make you a very valuable person in a post apocalyptic world. So would engineering skills.
    Absolutely; because you can train just about anyone how to shoot a gun or use a bow, but keeping things working would be at a premium.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Thanks; because this is the kind of input I had hoped for.
    I could imagine people resorting back to crossbows and hand held bows.
    Well considering what might be the hazards of travel and trade in a post apocalyptic world they might have no choice. Keep in mind that in a post apocalyptic world educated scientist and technologist could damned well be persecuted as those responsible for the apocalypse. So it may not be a safe assumption that they would be valued.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well considering what might be the hazards of travel and trade in a post apocalyptic world they might have no choice. Keep in mind that in a post apocalyptic world educated scientist and technologist could damned well be persecuted as those responsible for the apocalypse. So it may not be a safe assumption that they would be valued.
    And you're correct; because there always people who want to blame "someone" for what's occurred.
    Reminds me of a movie, for some time ago.

Things had fallen apart and people were living a basic existence style lifestyle.
    They blamed scientist and such for the way things were and had banned all things from "back then".
    A young man "rediscovers" the wheel and shows them how it would help them haul things.
    They declare him a heretic and have him executed.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And you're correct; because there always people who want to blame "someone" for what's occurred.
    Reminds me of a movie, for some time ago.

Things had fallen apart and people were living a basic existence style lifestyle.
    They blamed scientist and such for the way things were and had banned all things from "back then".
    A young man "rediscovers" the wheel and shows them how it would help them haul things.
    They declare him a heretic and have him executed.
    Actually that's the theme of a great little science fiction story called "A Canticle for Leibowitz" in which after a nuclear war destroys civilization and all books and collections of human knowledge are destroyed and scientist persecuted. A group of monks preserve as much of scientific knowledge as they can so that it will be available for civilization when they are once again ready for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Actually that's the theme of a great little science fiction story called "A Canticle for Leibowitz" in which after a nuclear war destroys civilization and all books and collections of human knowledge are destroyed and scientist persecuted. A group of monks preserve as much of scientific knowledge as they can so that it will be available for civilization when they are once again ready for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz
    Stories like these are really disturbing; because it shows how people will try to find scapegoats to ease their fear of the unknown and generally what they're afraid, of isn't even the cause of the problem.

The Book Of Eli comes to mind; where society in general blamed certain books for what happened and then someone wanted to use one of those books, to gain power.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I don't have to survive.....I'll be in heaven after the Apocalypse......

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Rune (02-22-2017)

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Absolutely; because you can train just about anyone how to shoot a gun or use a bow, but keeping things working would be at a premium.
    Well my chemistry degree would come in handy then!

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 17 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernRacist View Post
    I don't have to survive.....I'll be in heaven after the Apocalypse......
    What a narcissistic fucking retard...
    USFREEDOM911 Expresses one of his homosexual prison rape fantasies;
    he may be getting several boners, they just won't be his.
    "You got shot in the balls and you're still walking!! Then this probably won't hurt you at all (as he unzips his pants)."

I would kill someone who didn't pay me, after I give them a blowjob.
    Does that make me insane?

15. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes; but it's not just the Degree, any knowledge of chemistry to would be of value.

16. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Stories like these are really disturbing; because it shows how people will try to find scapegoats to ease their fear of the unknown and generally what they're afraid, of isn't even the cause of the problem.

The Book Of Eli comes to mind; where society in general blamed certain books for what happened and then someone wanted to use one of those books, to gain power.
    I love the ending of that movie. Eli is blind and his copy of the Bible is written in Braille.

17. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Maybe. You might also be considered an evil Sorcerer practicing magic and burned at the stake.

My background in recycling would come in handy, forbearing the Sorcery scenario, as I spent a lot of time studying the raw materials used in chemistry to produce commercial chemical products that the waste materials I was recycling were analogous to. Having access to coal or petroleum and mineral deposits high in metal oxides and inorganic salts would be critical.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 02-21-2017 at 07:45 AM.