Thread: FBI Director Comey to stay on in Trump administration ( and more)

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Default FBI Director Comey to stay on in Trump administration ( and more)

BI Director James B. Comey was among the senior U.S. officials who had the unpleasant task of traveling to Trump Tower last month to inform the president-elect that Russia had interfered in the election process to help him win office.

Then Comey asked his colleagues — including the CIA director — to step outside so that he could discuss something even more awkward: a dossier in wide circulation in Washington that alleged that Moscow had gathered compromising financial, political and personal material about the incoming U.S. president.

That Comey was asked after that encounter, described by U.S. officials briefed on its details, to stay on as FBI director speaks to his survival instincts and ability to inspire confidence.

The news that Comey would stay in place became public Tuesday, some time after he began informing senior FBI officials around the country that he had been asked to continue.

Under normal circumstances, the revelation might have been unsurprising: Comey is less than four years into a 10-year term, and it is extremely rare for a president to remove an FBI director.
    But President Trump had notably declined to say whether he would keep the FBI director, telling “60 Minutes” in an interview after his election that he wanted to meet with Comey first.

Comey has come under fire from both sides of the political aisle in recent months, especially for his handling of the Hillary Clinton email investigation. Many Democrats still blame him for Clinton’s loss, and his decisions to discuss the probe publicly in the final months of the race are being investigated by the Justice Department inspector general.

His greatest looming challenge, however, will be presiding over ongoing investigations whose dimensions and direction are unclear,
    but involve Russia’s hacking and interference in the presidential election as well as nebulous ties between Trump associates and Moscow.

The bureau is also still examining allegations in the dossier that Comey discussed with Trump in New York last month, according to a U.S. official. The document was assembled by a former British intelligence officer who had been hired by a Washington investigations and political research firm.

The contents of the dossier have been in wide circulation among news organizations and law enforcement entities since mid-2016,
    but it is unclear if any of its potentially damaging allegations have been substantiated by intelligence agencies.

Comey, former CIA director John Brennan and former director of national intelligence James R. Clapper Jr. agreed that they should discuss the dossier with Trump even if the allegations were unproven.

The ensuing conversation came with seemingly unavoidable conflicts. It is not clear whether Comey told Trump that the FBI had or was still pursuing allegations made in the dossier, but doing so would have involved telling an incoming president with significant power over the FBI that his associates were potential investigative targets.

Trump has railed at the decision by the nation’s intelligence chiefs, including Comey, to attach a copy of the dossier to a report released last month by U.S. spy agencies that concluded that Putin had ordered a cyber campaign to disrupt the U.S. election and help Trump.

Trump accused U.S. spy agencies of orchestrating a Nazi-like smear campaign against him. The CIA has been the main target of Trump’s hostility in recent months, but he has also been sharply critical of Comey and the FBI.

Even Justice Department officials had advised against Comey taking the actions he did, and Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz is investigating Comey’s conduct in the (Clinton Email) case. Comey has said he welcomes the review.

The criticism of Comey, though, is not limited to the Clinton investigation. After a recent closed-door briefing from intelligence officials about Russian hacking, some House Democrats called for Comey to resign. They claimed the FBI director was not treating the Trump-related and Clinton-related investigations the same, particularly in his willingness to discuss the matters publicly.

“He should pack his things and go,” said Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.).

Senate Intelligence Committee leaders have said they will explore for themselves alleged links between Russia and the 2016 political campaigns as part of a wide look at the intelligence community’s report on Russian hacking, and some on the left have called for a special prosecutor to be appointed.

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), Trump’s pick to be attorney general, said in a recent response to a questionnaire that he was “not aware of a basis to recuse myself from such investigations,” though if a “specific matter arose where I believed my impartiality might reasonably be questioned, I would consult with Department ethics officials regarding the most appropriate way to proceed.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.183677ebfa4a

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

U.S. officials said this week that the FBI has scrutinized communications between Trump’s national security adviser, Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, and Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak. The two traded texts and phone calls in late December just as the Obama administration was imposing new sanctions on Moscow, raising suspicion that Flynn and Kislyak were improperly discussing the penalties.
    Flynn was cleared today of this Kangaroo Court charge

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

involve Russia’s hacking and interference in the presidential election as well as nebulous ties between Trump associates and Moscow.
    more bogus-ness

The contents of the dossier have been in wide circulation among news organizations and law enforcement entities since mid-2016, but it is unclear if any of its potentially damaging allegations have been substantiated by intelligence agencies.
    what?? I thought it was established as bogus.

Trump has railed at the decision by the nation’s intelligence chiefs, including Comey, to attach a copy of the dossier to a report released last month by U.S. spy agencies that concluded that Putin had ordered a cyber campaign to disrupt the U.S. election and help Trump.
    it's bogus! why was it attached? *and there is the "leak"*

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,902 Times in 7,962 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

Of course Comey is going to keep his job.

Comey is in on it. Now he can make sure all evidence of Shlump's ties to Moscow stay neatly covered up.

He's probably already got a nice, fat deposit in his brand new Swiss bank account.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

blackascoal (01-25-2017), FUCK THE POLICE (01-24-2017), Rune (01-25-2017)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I scratch your back, you scratch mine...
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FUCK THE POLICE For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-25-2017)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The sheer shamelessness of it all is what is so disturbing.

The lanky goofball blatantly sabotaged Hillary Clinton by taking the unheard of step of publicly commenting on her case right before the election, then acts as if what he did was no big deal.

Then, yesterday, he gangles his tall, skinny, dorky-looking ass on up to Shlump in the WH, shakes hands, then walks away with a stupid ass, shit-eating grin on his face.

What a bunch of sleaze our govt has become.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

Rune (01-25-2017)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

LOL.. Trump paid off Comey? Did he use Russian cutouts? *oy vey*
    ++
    I personally like Comey in that he's a stand up guy,but he's been put in crappy situations.
    As long as that liar Clapper is gone ( "not wittingly" a liar) and Trump gets his own people FINALLY confirmed after ths Democratic Slow-Walk -
    things will improve with the FBI/IC leadership

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Leave him there as a target for liberal hatred....

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

The impeachment just got a lot more interesting
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rune For This Post:

Jarod (01-25-2017)

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    The impeachment just got a lot more interesting
    I still have my thousand.......tell me your odds......

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    LOL.. Trump paid off Comey? Did he use Russian cutouts? *oy vey*
    ++
    I personally like Comey in that he's a stand up guy,but he's been put in crappy situations.
    As long as that liar Clapper is gone ( "not wittingly" a liar) and Trump gets his own people FINALLY confirmed after ths Democratic Slow-Walk -
    things will improve with the FBI/IC leadership
    The depths to which shameless shlump suckers will stoop for a few pennies a post...

He's getting his money's worth out of you.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

oh sorry Nomad.......somebody who isn't on ignore will have to give me odds......

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    The depths to which shameless shlump suckers will stoop for a few pennies a post...

He's getting his money's worth out of you.
    that's Eman's stchick

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    that's Eman's stchick
    Someone should track down E-Man and get him over here.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    oh sorry Nomad.......somebody who isn't on ignore will have to give me odds......
    Can't help you with that...