Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up One less Trump supporter

Dylann Roof Is Sentenced to Death in Charleston Church Massacre

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/u...harleston.html

CHARLESTON, S.C. — Dylann S. Roof, the unrepentant and inscrutable white supremacist who killed nine African-American churchgoers in a brazen racial rampage almost 19 months ago, an outburst of extremist violence that shocked the nation, was condemned to death by a federal jury on Tuesday.

The jury of nine whites and three blacks, who last month found Mr. Roof guilty of 33 counts for the attack at this city’s Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, returned their unanimous verdict after about three hours of deliberations in the penalty phase of a heart-rending and often legally confounding trial.

Mr. Roof, who had said in a closing argument hours earlier that he could ask jurors “to give me a life sentence, but I’m not sure what good that would do,” showed no expression as Judge Richard M. Gergel of Federal District Court announced the verdict.

Melvin Graham, whose sister Cynthia Hurd, 54, a librarian, died in the attack, welcomed the decision.

“It’s a hard thing to know that someone is going to lose their life, but when you look at the totality of what happened, it’s hard to say that person deserves to live when nine others don’t,” Mr. Graham said at a news conference. “How do you justify saving one life when you took nine, and in such a brutal fashion?”

The Rev. Anthony B. Thompson, the widower of another victim, Myra Thompson, said in an interview Tuesday that while he remained “in awe” at how much Mr. Roof enjoyed doing what he did, he would not relinquish his forgiveness. “I forgave him, and I’m not going to take that back ever,” he said.

Members of Mr. Roof’s family, who have been mostly silent since his arrest, said in a statement Tuesday that they would “struggle as long as we live to understand why he committed this horrible attack, which caused so much pain to so many good people.”

The jury’s decision offered some vindication for the Justice Department, which sought the death penalty over the misgivings of the attack’s adult survivors and the relatives of many victims. During a two-hour closing argument on Tuesday, Julius N. Richardson, an assistant United States attorney, urged jurors to “hold this defendant fully accountable for his crimes.”

The guilt of Mr. Roof, who coolly confessed to the killings and then justified them without remorse in a jailhouse manifesto, was never in serious doubt during the first phase of the proceedings in December. And by the time jurors began their sentencing deliberations on Tuesday, it seemed inevitable that they would lean toward death, not only because of the heinous nature of the crimes but because Mr. Roof, 22, insisted on denying any psychological incapacity, called no witnesses, presented no evidence in his defense and mostly sidelined his court-appointed lawyers.

The jury’s sentencing decision effectively capped Mr. Roof’s federal trial for the killings on June 17, 2015, the Wednesday when he showed up in Emanuel’s fellowship hall and was offered a seat for Bible study by the Rev. Clementa C. Pinckney. Mr. Roof sat quietly, his head hung low, for about 40 minutes while the group considered the Gospel of Mark’s account of the Parable of the Sower.

Then, with the parishioners’ eyes clenched for a benediction, Mr. Roof brandished the .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun he had smuggled into the church in a waist pouch. First taking aim at Mr. Pinckney, a state senator and the youngest African-American elected to South Carolina’s legislature, he began to fire seven magazines of hollow-point rounds.

The reverberation of gunfire and clinking of skittering shell casings subsided only after more than 70 shots. Each victim was hit repeatedly, with the eldest, Susie Jackson, an 87-year-old grandmother and church matriarch, struck at least 10 times.

During the brief siege, the youngest victim, Tywanza Sanders, 26, pleaded with Mr. Roof not to kill. “You blacks are killing white people on the streets everyday and raping white women everyday,” Mr. Roof said during the rampage, according to the jailhouse manifesto written within seven weeks of his arrest.

Before leaving the church, Mr. Roof told one of three survivors, Polly Sheppard, that he was sparing her so she could “tell the story.” He stepped over one minister’s bleeding body on his way out a side door, Glock pistol at his side. The killer said later he had expected to find officers waiting for him, and had saved ammunition to take his own life.

But the police, alerted by 911 calls from Ms. Sheppard and Mr. Pinckney’s wife, Jennifer, who was hiding with their 6-year-old daughter, had not yet arrived. Mr. Roof got into his black Hyundai Elantra and drove into the night.

Officers in Shelby, N.C., detained Mr. Roof the next morning. After his extradition, prosecutors refused his offer to plead guilty in exchange for a life sentence.

In addition to Ms. Hurd, Ms. Jackson, Mr. Pinckney, Mr. Sanders and Ms. Thompson, four other people were killed: Ethel Lee Lance; the Rev. DePayne Middleton Doctor; the Rev. Daniel L. Simmons Sr.; and the Rev. Sharonda Coleman-Singleton.

They were familiar, frequent presences at the church known as Mother Emanuel, the oldest A.M.E. congregation in the Deep South and one with a storied history of resistance to slavery and civil rights advocacy over nearly 200 years. During the trial, family members filled reserved seats in the courtroom each day, and 23 relatives and friends delivered emotional testimonials.

Photo

The courthouse in downtown Charleston, S.C., where a federal jury on Tuesday condemned Dylann S. Roof to death. Credit Logan R. Cyrus for The New York Times
    Ms. Hurd had adopted a simple motto for life: “Be kinder than necessary.” Ms. Lance was a perfume aficionado with a gentle smile that unified her family. Ms. Middleton Doctor’s first sermon had been titled “The Virtuous Woman.” Mr. Simmons, a Vietnam War veteran, had been among the first blacks in South Carolina hired to drive a Greyhound bus. Ms. Coleman-Singleton was a beaming mother whose ebullient preaching made her popular in Charleston’s churches. Ms. Thompson was a workhorse of Emanuel who served on many committees. Mr. Sanders, whose parents found hundreds of poems in his bedroom, aspired to become a lawyer.

Although Mr. Roof declined to testify or present any evidence, his trial was unusual for the jury’s ability to hear from an accused mass murderer in his own unapologetic words. They watched video of his two-hour confession, and heard readings of his online essays, a journal found in his car, letters to his parents and his jailhouse manifesto.

The trial became a duel of competing narratives on the slightly built ninth-grade dropout. In the prosecution’s depiction, Mr. Roof was the personification of evil, a racist ideologue, radicalized on the internet, who plotted an intensely premeditated assault over more than six months, waiting only until he was 21 and old enough to buy a weapon.

He downloaded a history of the Ku Klux Klan 10 months before the attack, created a website to post a deliberative screed against blacks, Hispanics and Jews, and adorned his canvas prison shoes with supremacist symbols, even wearing them to court.

“Sometimes sitting in my cell,” Mr. Roof wrote while in jail, “I think about how nice it would be to watch a movie or eat some good food or drive my car somewhere, but then I remember how I felt when I did these things, and how I knew I had to do something. And then I realize it was worth it.”

In his closing argument on Tuesday, Mr. Roof said, “I felt like I had to do it, and I still feel like I had to do it.”

But in the portrayal suggested by defense lawyers, Mr. Roof was a deeply disturbed delusionist who most demonstrated his incapacity by denying it. Indeed, Mr. Roof insisted on representing himself during the sentencing phase to prevent his experienced capital defense team from introducing potentially mitigating evidence about his family, educational background or mental health.

The results of at least two psychiatric evaluations have been kept under seal by Judge Gergel, who ruled Mr. Roof competent to stand trial and to represent himself. Jurors heard little of Mr. Roof’s family, which arrived in Lexington County from Germany in the first half of the 18th century and included Lutheran ministers, Confederate soldiers, slaveholders and two county sheriffs, according to a family genealogy.

His paternal grandfather is a well-regarded lawyer and his father a construction contractor. Mr. Roof was born in 1994 to parents who had previously divorced but had briefly reconciled, and he began his online treatise by absolving them of any responsibility for his beliefs.

Mr. Roof’s rampage, which the authorities said was not coordinated with any organized groups, staggered this area, which was already reeling from the shooting death two months before of an unarmed black man by a white police officer in North Charleston.

But two days after the church killings, with a blank-faced Mr. Roof standing in the Charleston County jail, five relatives of the victims publicly offered him forgiveness during an extraordinary bond hearing. The following week, President Obama argued in a soaring eulogy for Mr. Pinckney, which culminated in an a cappella rendition of “Amazing Grace,” that the attack’s lessons offered a way forward for race relations.

Mr. Roof had photographed himself posing with the Confederate battle flag, and South Carolina lawmakers later voted to remove the flag from the grounds of the Statehouse, where it had enjoyed decades of political protection.

The Rev. Sharon Risher, a daughter of Ethel Lee Lance, said she harbored a deep opposition to the death penalty, but found her stand tested by Mr. Roof and his lack of remorse.

“I don’t believe in the death penalty, but I’m my mother’s child and with everything that’s happened sometimes I want him to die,” Ms. Risher, who watched the entire trial, said in an interview Monday. “It’s like, you know what, this fool continues to just be evil. I’m just glad that they didn’t leave that decision to me. I just reconciled myself that whatever they decided he will never see the light of day again.”

Federal law classifies the jury’s decision as a binding “recommendation,” and Judge Gergel scheduled a sentencing hearing to begin Wednesday morning.

Yet the verdict confers no certainty that Mr. Roof will ever be put to death. His case will probably go through years of appeals — the courts could well consider his mental competency and even the tearful tenor of the sentencing phase — and the scarcity of lethal injection drugs could hinder his execution.

“Today’s sentencing decision means that this case will not be over for a very long time,” Mr. Roof’s defense team said in a statement. “We are sorry that, despite our best efforts, the legal proceedings have shed so little light on the reasons for this tragedy.”

That it at times seemed more important to Mr. Roof to not be depicted as mentally ill than to avoid execution prompted some in the courtroom to question whether he simply preferred to die than to serve a long life in prison. His writings and confession offered evidence on both sides of that question, wavering between glimmers of hope — even that he might someday be pardoned — and an attraction to the prospects of martyrdom. But his commitment to his cause — the restoration of white power through violent subjugation — never publicly flagged.

“I have shed a tear of self pity for myself,” he wrote in 2015. “I feel pity that I had to give up my life because of a situation that should never have existed.”

Mr. Graham reflected Tuesday that someday Mr. Roof could adopt a strong Christian faith.

“He decided the day, the hour and the moment that my sister was going to die, and now someone is going to do the same to him,” he said. “But unlike my sister, he has another chance. He’s in God’s hands and if he turns his life around, and if he makes a humble confession to God, when he gets there, when he gets there, he can join my sister and the others in heaven.”
    Last edited by FUCK THE POLICE; 01-10-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Trump is probably sad he can't appoint him to his cabinet. Put him in charge of civil rights affairs.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

his trial was unusual for the jury’s ability to hear from an accused mass murderer in his own unapologetic words. They watched video of his two-hour confession, and heard readings of his online essays, a journal found in his car, letters to his parents and his jailhouse manifesto.
    he's a sociopath

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

He's an ideologically driven racist.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NUKE MOSCOW View Post
    He's an ideologically driven racist.
    So you feel a kinship with him!!

I'm not really surprised though.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 34 Times in 32 Posts

I'm glad he's dead.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Good. All terrorists should be killed. Hopefully this will be the fate of the cop killers going forward.