Members banned from this thread: evince

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Raccoon hunt night 1

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Default Raccoon hunt night 1

Nothing says a fun night in the woods like a raccoon hunt. My friend and I went on a raccoon hunt last night and we nabbed three. Night #2 is tonight so hopefully we can be as successful as yesterday.

raccoon hunt.jpg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Norah For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (12-30-2016), leaningright (12-29-2016), Mott the Hoople (12-29-2016)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Norah View Post
    Nothing says a fun night in the woods like a raccoon hunt. My friend and I went on a raccoon hunt last night and we nabbed three. Night #2 is tonight so hopefully we can be as successful as yesterday.

raccoon hunt.jpg
    Have fun Nora.
    Try not to shoot your dog.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Norah (12-29-2016)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,977 Times in 32,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Have fun Nora.
    Try not to shoot your dog.
    or Mott's sheep......

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    or Mott's sheep......
    They don't have sheep in Texas. That sort of talk could get you shot in Waco.

They got the gol darndest rabbits you ever saw. Some got horns and are about half the size of a white tailed deer.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,977 Times in 32,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    They don't have sheep in Texas. That sort of talk could get you shot in Waco.

They got the gol darndest rabbits you ever saw. Some got horns and are about half the size of a white tailed deer.
    those are just the Angoras........you should see the jacks........

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Got a bigun there Norah!
    They don't hunt them around here. Are they good eatin ?
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 62 Times in 61 Posts

We set up cameras when they come around along with obstacles so we can film them and watch them, they are hilarious.
    Hypocrisy =
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Trump is still blaming Obama for everything.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Got a bigun there Norah!
    One can eat them. I did when I was younger and times were tougher. Most just sell the hides. When I quit coon hunting about 13 years ago I had a really good pair of hounds...mother-son team. I sold the hides to fur buyers and cooked the carcasses for my dogs to eat.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Norah (12-30-2016)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 17 Times in 17 Posts

Description

The raccoon roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis) is the common large roundworm or ascarid found in the small intestinal tract of raccoons. Adult worms measure 15 to 20 cm in length and 1 cm in width. They are tan-white in color, cylindrical and taper at both ends.

Distribution

B. procyonis has been reported from numerous states, but probably occurs wherever the raccoon inhabits. Prevalence of infections ranges from 3.4% to nearly 100% of all raccoons sampled. In Michigan, the parasite has commonly been seen in raccoons statewide. There are several intermediate hosts that have been diagnosed as having a Baylisascaris infection: mice, squirrels, rabbits, birds, woodchucks, and chipmunks.

Transmission and Development

Transmission of B. procyonis can occur either directly or via an intermediate host. Naturally infected raccoons shed eggs (millions daily) in their feces and, under adequate temperature and moist conditions, a larvae will develop within an egg (embryonated) and can be infective (2nd stage larvae) in 11-14 days. Raccoons, especially young ones, become infected directly by accidental ingestion of these eggs. This may occur via the mother's egg-contaminated body or from the local environment of the den (soil or vegetation). When an intermediate host is involved, embryonated eggs are ingested, the eggs hatch, and the larvae penetrate the intestines and migrate through the liver and lungs. The larvae then enter the pulmonary veins, pass into the left side of the heart and are distributed throughout the body especially the head, neck and/or thoracic areas. The larvae become encysted in small, firbous nodules in the affected tissue. If the intermediate host is eaten by a raccoon, the encysted larvae are released and migrate to the small intestine where they develop into the adult stage.

Clinical and Pathological Signs

In raccoons usually there are no clinical or pathological signs observed. In heavy infections, intestinal obstructions or a rupture of the intestinal tract may occur, due to the large number of parasites present.

The animals usually seen with clinical and pathological signs caused by Baylisascaris are the intermediate hosts (mice, woodchucks, squirrels, rabbits, and birds). Migration of large numbers of larvae may cause liver and lung damage. Usually changes in behavior are seen due to central nervous system disorders. This is the result of damage caused to the brain and spinal cord by the larvae. Larvae may also cause eye disorders by migrating through the ocular tissues. If small numbers of larvae are involved in the migration, there may be no clinical signs observed.

Fatal or severe central nervous system disorders have been documented for mice, gray and fox squirrels, ground squirrels, woodchucks, nutria, beavers, domestic quail, partridges, pigeons, exotic turkeys, emus, captive cockatiels, captive prairie dogs, foxes, armadillos and porcupines.

In intermediate hosts unusual behavior is generally observed. The affected animal will initially exhibit a head tilt and an inability to walk and/or climb properly. As the clinical illness progresses the animal may lose its fear of humans, circle, roll on the ground, fall over, lay on its side and paddle its feet, become totally recumbent, comatose, and finally die.

In humans, pathological lesions observed consist of skin irritations (cutaneous larval migrans) and eye and brain tissue damage (visceral larval migrans) due to the random migration of the larvae. The affected individuals may experience nausea, a lethargic feeling, incoordination and loss of eyesight.

Diagnosis

In raccoons, infection with Baylisascaris can be confirmed by recovering and identifying the adult worms (postmortem examination) or by fecal flotation (live animal) to identify characteristic ascarid eggs in the feces. Occasionally sub-adult worms are passed in the feces or vomitus.

In intermediate hosts, the disease can be diagnosed after a postmortem examination. Larvae and associated lesions in the brain, eyes, and other tissues can be observed on microscopic examination. A Baylisascaris infection is often suspected by the history and clinical signs observed.

In humans, based on the size of the larvae in the skin or eye lesions, cases of Baylisascaris infection can be determined. In the event of the death of the human, larvae can be detected in microscopic sections of the brain, heart, lungs, eyes and other affected tissues.

Treatment and Control

Raccoons can be successfully treated with several anthelmintics to kill the adult worms. Effective drugs are piperazine, fenbendazole, pyrantel pamoate, levamisole and organophosphates such as dichlorvos.

There are currently no drugs that can effectively kill the migrating larvae in the body. Laser surgery has been successfully performed to kill larvae present in the retina of the eye but the damage caused by the migrating larvae is irreversible. Treatment with steroids in intermediate hosts is mainly supportive and is designed to decrease the inflammatory reaction.

Controlling infections of this parasite requires minimizing contact with areas inhabited by raccoons. Fecal contamination of an area can result in millions of eggs being deposited and therefore available for infection. These eggs are extremely resistant to environmental conditions, being able to survive for several years. Any area contaminated with raccoon feces should be cleaned and the feces, as well as any contaminated feed, straw or hay, burned. Children and pets should be kept away from these contaminated areas until a thorough cleaning has occurred.

Significance

B. procyonis is of public health significance because it can infect humans, causing skin irritations and eye and brain damage due to the random migration of the larvae. There have been a small number of human fatalaties involving young children and these fatalaties were the result of the child ingesting a large number of eggs.

There are other ascarids (Toxocara canis and Toxocara cati, the dog and cat roundworm, respectively) that can cause similar skin, ocular and nervous system problems. Transmission of these parasites is more likely than with Baylisascaris due to close human-pet association but the dog and cat roundworms are less pathogenic.

Some wildlife species, as was stated above, are susceptible to Baylisascaris. From the individual animal standpoint the parasite may be significant, but from the total population perspective, the parasite has a minimal impact.

Because of the possibility of infection with Baylisascaris by raccoons, people are advised not to raise raccoons as pets. If rehabilitators are raising raccoons they should take precautions (wear rubber gloves and practice good personal hygiene) when handling raccoon feces, and dispose of the feces quickly (it takes 30 days for the eggs to embryonate) and properly (burning). Raccoons should be wormed with piperazine. Initially the animal should be wormed 3 times at 2-week intervals and then every 6 months thereafter.

http://www.ckwri.tamuk.edu/sites/default/files/pdf-attachment/2016-05/mgmtbulletin_8.pdf
    Last edited by Buckly J. Ewer; 12-29-2016 at 10:14 PM.
    USFREEDOM911 Expresses one of his homosexual prison rape fantasies;
    Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    he may be getting several boners, they just won't be his.
    "You got shot in the balls and you're still walking!! Then this probably won't hurt you at all (as he unzips his pants)."

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    I would kill someone who didn't pay me, after I give them a blowjob.
    Does that make me insane?

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Yes Mr. Ewer, parasites are always something to watch for when one consumes wild game, no matter the species.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (12-31-2016), Lightbringer (12-30-2016), Norah (12-30-2016)

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Got a bigun there Norah!
    I've never actually eaten one. We gave them to a friend of the family that makes and sells things out of the pelt.

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 234 Times in 225 Posts

Default Raccoon hunt night 1

I've never eaten one. Never even thought about it and never desperate enough thank God. They are rodents to me. I shoot nuisance coons

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hillary Destroyer View Post
    I've never eaten one. Never even thought about it and never desperate enough thank God. They are rodents to me. I shoot nuisance coons
    I've always done more snake killing than anything else mainly because they can scare many of the animals that can lead to injury especially horses.

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,195 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why do you kill raccoons?

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Snowflake View Post
    Why do you kill raccoons?
    My dad mentioned that they've been getting into some feed bins and into some of the animal pens and so since I'm home right now from school I thought it would be fun to do a night hunt. My friend tagged along and it ended up being a fun success.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Norah For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-30-2016)