Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump announces 8,000 more jobs for American workers

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Default Trump announces 8,000 more jobs for American workers

President-elect Donald Trump announced Wednesday the addition of roughly 8,000 new jobs for Americans, including 5,000 that telecommunications giant Sprint will bring from “all around the world.”

“They’re coming back to the United States, which is a nice change,” he said.

Trump, who takes office January 20, said the other 3,000 jobs will be hires from a new company called One Web.

Trump was elected in part on the promise to return to the United States jobs that American companies had moved overseas, in search of cheaper labor costs.

Last month, he announced that Carrier would keep roughly 1,000 jobs in Indiana, after months of criticizing the air-conditioning corporation on the campaign trail for plans to move the jobs to Mexico.

Trump spoke Wednesday from his Mar a Largo estate in Palm Beach, Florida.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...n-workers.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I wonder what the jobs are?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    sprint sounds like call center jobs. I cant really think of anything they would be doing worldwide.

Again though this is not the point. Give people hope and they spend more money. Raising consumer spending is what generates massive jobs. Obama never figured this out. Scott Adams writes a good article and maybe ill do one too in the future on why hope and positive feelings is the most important driver in the economy.
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tsuke For This Post:

Life is Golden (12-28-2016)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,305 Times in 10,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,917 Times in 4,233 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fortune says "sales and customer care".

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    Fortune says "sales and customer care".
    the positive for me for the call center jobs is they dont require a lot of infrastructure. They can be placed in the most depressed cities to revitalize it and thats probably where sprint would want them anyway.
    is on twitter @realtsuke

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,005 Times in 8,032 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,672 Times in 1,550 Posts

I wonder how much corporate welfare Trump promised to bribe them with.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I wonder how much corporate welfare Trump promised to bribe them with.
    Funny you don't like corporate welfare now

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Cancel 2018.2 (12-29-2016)

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,005 Times in 8,032 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,672 Times in 1,550 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Funny you don't like corporate welfare now
    When did I ever?

Show me some examples.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

Rune (12-29-2016)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    When did I ever?

Show me some examples.
    What was your previous name on this board?

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tsuke View Post
    the positive for me for the call center jobs is they dont require a lot of infrastructure. They can be placed in the most depressed cities to revitalize it and that's probably where sprint would want them anyway.
    most US call centers are virtual call centers now.
    I put on headphones for the phone calls,and my fingers work the keyboard all in my home office.
    That's essentially what all call centers do -head phones and computers.

India call center

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

most are virtual call centers now. I put on headphones for the phone calls,and my fingers work the keyboard all in my home office.
    That's essentially what all call centers do -head phones and computers.
    yeah no. Speaking as someone who manages things in the industry

1. The work at home people routinely perform worse than the office based ones. They dont have a coaching team etc.
    2. There is no way to install critical systems on their PC like you can do with office based ones. Mostly because of information security risk. This applies most to credit card companies.
    3. very little career path for them.

Basically their only advantage is cost and even that gets taken away if your incentivized to have an office.
    is on twitter @realtsuke

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tsuke For This Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (12-29-2016)

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tsuke View Post
    yeah no. Speaking as someone who manages things in the industry

1. The work at home people routinely perform worse than the office based ones. They dont have a coaching team etc.
    2. There is no way to install critical systems on their PC like you can do with office based ones. Mostly because of information security risk. This applies most to credit card companies.
    3. very little career path for them.

Basically their only advantage is cost and even that gets taken away if your incentivized to have an office.
    They have to be incentivized to work as an Independent Contractor -or the temptation not to work at home does drag down productivity.

The virtual call centers take over the home computers by some kind of team software.
    My companies software is the most sophisticated in the world.
    So much so it split from hosting that platform for leasing/sales -and the 1/2 of my company that is live operators.
    The software IS the business -delivery and return to headquarters in Texas in same real time processing.
    The rest of the company is just an online company to provide support for the services.

My company hires managemnt from inside. CEO's come and go and their structures change, but the people in management have a surprising long institutional memory from being there more then a short contract.

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They have to be incentivized to work as an Independent Contractor -or the temptation not to work at home does drag down productivity.

The virtual call centers take over the home computers by some kind of team software.
    My companies software is the most sophisticated in the world.
    So much so it split from hosting that platform for leasing/sales -and the 1/2 of my company that is live operators.
    The software IS the business -delivery and return to headquarters in Texas in same real time processing.
    The rest of the company is just an online company to provide support for the services.

My company hires managemnt from inside. CEO's come and go and their structures change, but the people in management have a surprising long institutional memory from being there more then a short contract.
    but the company still has no control over what you do at home. If work at home people used the same version of the software as the office people did then you could copy down all the credit card numbers of the customers and socials and the company could do nothing about it as opposed to call center floors which are usually paperless.
    is on twitter @realtsuke

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump isn't responsible for Sprint bringing 5,000 jobs to the US
    The telco's announcement is the result of a pre-existing investment deal, not the president-elect.

"I just spoke with the head person," Trump told Bloomberg. "He said because of me they're doing 5,000 jobs in this country."

Here's the problem: Despite what Trump and the press release from Sprint said (and what its CEO recently tweeted), these jobs were part of a previous announcement from Softbank (Sprint's parent company) CEO Masayoshi Son -- not the direct result of working with Trump.

In mid-October, Softbank announced that the company was sinking $100 billion into a tech-investment fund.

When I reached out to a Sprint spokeswoman asking if the announcement was a direct result of working with Trump or part of a pre-existing deal, she copy and pasted the press release I'd sent along with my first email. I responded saying I already had the press release and asked again if this was a direct result of working with Trump or part of a pre-existing deal in place. I tagged Sprint in a tweet about the situation, and it wasn't until after that started getting retweeted that the spokesperson responded.

"This is part of the 50,000 jobs that Masa previously announced," she said. "This total will be a combination of newly created jobs and bringing some existing jobs back to the U.S."

This is where we are, folks: Our president-elect is tying his name to something he didn't have anything to do with, much like he did with "saving" 1,100 jobs at HVAC company Carrier, including 300 that weren't moving to Mexico in the first place. In November, Trump exaggerated that he stopped Ford from moving a Kentucky production plant to Mexico. In reality Ford announced it wouldn't move production of one model line to Mexico.
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/28/...obs-to-the-us/

So the jobs were being brought back under Obama .. at a time when most of planet earth thought the election was going to be won by Hillary Clinton. :0)

Incredible .. but I'm sure his cult bobbleheads will lap this shit up like its tasty.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

Althea (12-29-2016), Bill (12-29-2016), evince (12-29-2016), FUCK THE POLICE (12-29-2016), Nomad (12-29-2016), Phantasmal (12-29-2016), Rune (12-29-2016)

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump Seeks Credit for 5,000 Sprint Jobs SoftBank Touted Earlier

Trump’s public pronouncements sometimes exaggerate either the costs of projects he’s trying to influence or his own impact. For example, he said the new Air Force One would cost $4 billion, while the Air Force has budgeted $3.2 billion so far to research, develop and purchase two of the planes. He claimed he had convinced Carrier to keep more than 1,000 jobs in Indianapolis; the accurate number is about 800. In November, the president-elect claimed credit for convincing Ford to keep an auto plant in Kentucky rather than moving it to Mexico. Ford had planned to move production of a specific model to Mexico, but did not expect to close the Kentucky plant or reduce the number of jobs there.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...-sprint-oneweb
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

Bill (12-29-2016), evince (12-29-2016)