Thread: either/or game

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,089 Times in 33,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I have always resented the notion that to be a farmer or cowboy you have to look like a shit kicker or speak like you're illiterate. My late Uncle had a farm on 600 acres of bottom land on the Wabash river (which is like 6,000 acres of farmland in Oklahoma or TX). He raised grain and Herefords. When he went into town, other than farm business, he didn't drive his pick up. He drove his Cadillac and the man was always stylin it. My Uncle always said "wear the right cloths for the right job." and he might wear camos out hunting or working but if he was going out to dinner or to do business he was always dressed in a stylish suit. The man had taste when it came to how he dressed. He was awfully fond of Italian suits and shoes and he would never, ever wear a hat inside. He viewed that as the mark of someone who had not been taught proper manners.
    You may resent it, but the stereotype fits in this instance, your sophisticated uncle was the exception to the rules, most of the farm folk I was raised around hated to dress up, and even though intelligent, there is just a dialect in rural areas that sounds like illiterate red neck. I love these people, and they don't consider baseball caps as hats, it's an extension of their persons.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

leaningright (12-28-2016), Norah (12-28-2016)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

I have always resented the notion that to be a farmer or cowboy you have to look like a shit kicker or speak like you're illiterate. My late Uncle had a farm on 600 acres of bottom land on the Wabash river (which is like 6,000 acres of farmland in Oklahoma or TX). He raised grain and Herefords. When he went into town, other than farm business, he didn't drive his pick up. He drove his Cadillac and the man was always stylin it. My Uncle always said "wear the right cloths for the right job." and he might wear camos out hunting or working but if he was going out to dinner or to do business he was always dressed in a stylish suit. The man had taste when it came to how he dressed. He was awfully fond of Italian suits and shoes and he would never, ever wear a hat inside. He viewed that as the mark of someone who had not been taught proper manners.
    Same thing here.

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,966 Times in 32,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

good point......you're not a farmer but you still look illiterate......

5. The Following User Groans At PostmodernProphet For This Awful Post:

Lightbringer (12-28-2016)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

I certainly didn't mean to offend you or anything like that with my options that I gave on here.

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Snowflake View Post
    You may resent it, but the stereotype fits in this instance, your sophisticated uncle was the exception to the rules, most of the farm folk I was raised around hated to dress up, and even though intelligent, there is just a dialect in rural areas that sounds like illiterate red neck. I love these people, and they don't consider baseball caps as hats, it's an extension of their persons.
    I dont mind dressing up for special occasions since it gives me the chance to wear some makeup, a pretty dress, and feel like a girl for a bit, but as soon as I get home from those things the makeup usually comes off, hair goes under a cap, and the dress is replaced by jeans and a t-shirt.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Norah For This Post:

Lightbringer (12-28-2016)

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I can appreciate that. Describes my FIL in Kentucky to a T. Hunting ... meh, I'm not a big camo wearer whether I'm hunting or not. I mean I have some but you don't have to wear camo to hunt deer.

No suits...unless requested when I preach weddings, funerals or high school baccalaureates. I despise suits and ties.
    That's where sports jackets and blazers are cool. In your photo above you could just put on a sports jacket, take off your hat and be ready to take Mrs. LR to that fabulous new Italian joint that just opened up and Mrs. LR and LR Jr. would be like...whoa...he be chill.

Sometimes it's fun to dress up and girls love it too!!!
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

leaningright (12-28-2016), Lightbringer (12-28-2016)

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Snowflake View Post
    You don't get where I'm coming from. I'm not saying you can't be that way or shouldn't be that way. I'm not saying another way is better. I'm not judging.

I'm saying you don't have to be a certain way to be a farmer or live in a rural small town or a big city for that matter. Be yourself. If you're a farmer and dig styling in an Italian suit...and driving a Cadillac... I say cool. If you live in a big city and enjoy hunting and wearing camo...cool too.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

leaningright (12-28-2016), Minister of Truth (12-28-2016)

14. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,089 Times in 33,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

You don't get where I'm coming from. I'm not saying you can't be that way or shouldn't be that way. I'm not saying another way is better. I'm not judging.

I'm saying you don't have to be a certain way to be a farmer or live in a rural small town or a big city for that matter. Be yourself. If you're a farmer and dig styling in an Italian suit...and driving a Cadillac... I say cool. If you live in a big city and enjoy hunting and wearing camo...cool too.
    Okay, I'm cool with that

15. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Norah View Post
    I certainly didn't mean to offend you or anything like that with my options that I gave on here.
    I'm just ranting Norah. You haven't offended me in the least. I'm just sayin. LOL

16. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    good point......you're not a farmer but you still look illiterate......
    Look who's talking. I got arrested in Michigan for crossing the State line with a book and a pair of shoes.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

leaningright (12-28-2016)

18. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Look who's talking. I got arrested in Michigan for crossing the State line with a book and a pair of shoes.
    Now you're just being a dick, that's probably why you were arrested :P

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (12-28-2016)

20. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Neither eggnog nor wassail. BOOZE!!

Actually, I didn't really dip into the booze, because my wife insisted on picking-up several bottles of wine from Traitor Joes. We also have two bottles of champagne from Costco for New Years.
    Traitor?
    Yet you shop at COSTCO?
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

21. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,966 Times in 32,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

of course.....it was Mein Kampf and jackboots......

22. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    of course.....it was Mein Kampf and jackboots......
    It was Birkenstocks and Dr. Seuss.