Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun modification

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

A little work with the bench grinder, then the bench sander, finally some finer work with a Dremel tool to re-crown and curb the sharp edge...then a dab of bluing agent. The barrel crown actually looks really good. My phone flash brings out all of the nicks and dings in this old military barrel.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Here is where we find out if my efforts were worth it. Again, shooting off the hood of my truck at at least 100 yd. The farthest holes are 1 5/8 inches apart. Definitely good enough for this weapon. Now I'll go to work developing the most accurate load for it in 150 gr (for whitetail) and 180 gr (for elk). I will still have to see how I can get it to perform at greater distance. For me to use this gun for elk I want it to shoot at least a 3 in group at 200 yd.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's all I'm doing for now. So far I have a total of $107 invested in this project. The best part of it is that now that I'm in the part where I have to develop loads for it, I get to do a lot of shooting...not that a person ever needs much of an excuse to burn some powder.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Norah (12-28-2016), USFREEDOM911 (12-26-2016)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Sweet rifle!!! Well done!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

leaningright (12-26-2016)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Going to revisit this thread. I don’t get to hunt with a modern rifle because of having to be out of town (visiting in laws) during that particular hunting season. My boy is 14 and hasn’t got to experience deer camp like I did when I was young. Oklahoma has a holiday doe hunt but it isn’t open in our part of the state. I decided this year to make the 5 hr drive north dragging the camper and hunt an area I know nothing about. We headed out early last Tuesday morning, found a good camping spot (not much competition with 9 degree nights predicted), and hunted for a couple of days.

Now the terrain up north is nothing like my corner is SE OK. I rarely need to shoot more than 30 - 50 yards at a deer and there are few places where I hunt that afford a shot out to 100 yards. Where we were hunting on this trip was wide open country, for the most part.

The WWII 303 British that I modified (documented in this thread) was the gun I chose to take. I have developed whitetail loads that give less than 1inch groups at 100 yards and will group less than 3 inches at 250 yards. I was planning on that long range shot, you know. We had a great 4 day father-son camping trip. Hopefully one day my boy will look back on it with fond memories like I do when I remember events with my dad.

The only deer we saw....well, we jumped her out of a thicket and I shot her on the run at less than 20 yards. LOL...so much for that long range shot. At least I’m confident in this gun if/when I get to hunt the wide open country again. It was a great holiday trip.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (01-01-2018), Phantasmal (01-01-2018)

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Going to revisit this thread. I don’t get to hunt with a modern rifle because of having to be out of town (visiting in laws) during that particular hunting season. My boy is 14 and hasn’t got to experience deer camp like I did when I was young. Oklahoma has a holiday doe hunt but it isn’t open in our part of the state. I decided this year to make the 5 hr drive north dragging the camper and hunt an area I know nothing about. We headed out early last Tuesday morning, found a good camping spot (not much competition with 9 degree nights predicted), and hunted for a couple of days.

Now the terrain up north is nothing like my corner is SE OK. I rarely need to shoot more than 30 - 50 yards at a deer and there are few places where I hunt that afford a shot out to 100 yards. Where we were hunting on this trip was wide open country, for the most part.

The WWII 303 British that I modified (documented in this thread) was the gun I chose to take. I have developed whitetail loads that give less than 1inch groups at 100 yards and will group less than 3 inches at 250 yards. I was planning on that long range shot, you know. We had a great 4 day father-son camping trip. Hopefully one day my boy will look back on it with fond memories like I do when I remember events with my dad.

The only deer we saw....well, we jumped her out of a thicket and I shot her on the run at less than 20 yards. LOL...so much for that long range shot. At least I’m confident in this gun if/when I get to hunt the wide open country again. It was a great holiday trip.

That deer should feed you and your family, for some time; plus you have the trip to remember.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to USFREEDOM911 For This Post:

leaningright (01-01-2018)

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

hey! That deer looks a lot like great, great, great grand Uncle Ned the horse thief.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

13. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Lol....

14. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,260 Times in 33,910 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,089 Times in 4,704 Posts
    Blog Entries

Poor Bambi’s mom, but she’ll be good eating.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

16. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    Poor Bambi’s mom, but she’ll be good eating.
    I think this might be the fawn of the pair that Noah let off the ark. She is one OLD gal. But she’ll eat fine.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-02-2018)

18. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 698 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

This thread makes me so mad.

19. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Peridot View Post
    Mmmm...OK.

20. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My next project is the JFK gun. A 6.5 Carcano Italian. So far I have $0 in the gun so I may actually splurge for a nice stock for this gun. My first chore is to have the bolt bent so that it doesn’t stick out at 90 degrees like so many of the old WWI and WWII guns.

I also have a 7.7 Arisaka ... a Japanese WWII rifle but I won’t be working with it as it is a late war gun and poorly made.
    Last edited by leaningright; 01-01-2018 at 11:01 PM.

21. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well done!! I didn't get to go deer hunting this year (too busy with other things). Congrats on testing the rifle. I always found the 303 British to be a solid and accurate caliber.

22. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Peridot View Post
    You'll just be mad, I suppose.