Thread: 'Should You Procreate'

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Default 'Should You Procreate'

Question raised in True Detective.

Most people fail to question the framework of their mind and where its ideas and emotions came from. I was raised Catholic, procreation was a fundamental fact and still is for Catholicism. I never thought for a moment that having children was anything but normal. Mom popped us out on an almost yearly schedule. She lived her Faith. But time and reading and experience change us. Consider that a child dies of preventable causes even before you finish reading this. Right now in this world a child is being abused starving or dying. When one reads history, imagine the families led to the deep ditch and shot. Still have faith? Ivan Karamazov's question comes to mind, is all this worth one child's suffering. Our children and grandchildren fill us with great joy but great concern too. So is anti-natalism something you ponder. Thoughts.

"Rust Cohle expresses this idea when he says that he thinks "about the hubris it must take to yank a soul out of nonexistence into this … Force a life into this thresher...."

"I think human consciousness, is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware, nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self; an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight - brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal." Rustin Cohle

http://www.thecritique.com/articles/...anti-natalism/

'Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence' by David Benatar

"people incapable of guilt usually do have a good time." Rustin Cohle
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm curious, how many online have children and or grandchildren? I am often surprised by people, even by my mother and my wife, of how they feel later in life. A certain reality sinks in and they realize how much they think about their children. Others don't seem to care at all. And still others say people who have no children are selfish? Are they.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

OT while no one seems able to comment in this thread, I thought the piece below from the American Conservative kinda funny. But that said republicans and conservatives have always disliked Public Education because PE teaches and doesn't indoctrinate as Right wing private schools and home schooling often does. Listening to the crowds at Trump rallies showed a level of hate and ignorance that was simply astounding.

'Trump Troglodytes May Breed Subhuman Species'

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...human-species/

Pew Research Center reports that only 6 percent of scientists identified as Republican and only 9 percent identified as conservatives.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    OT while no one seems able to comment in this thread, I thought the piece below from the American Conservative kinda funny. But that said republicans and conservatives have always disliked Public Education because PE teaches and doesn't indoctrinate as Right wing private schools and home schooling often does. Listening to the crowds at Trump rallies showed a level of hate and ignorance that was simply astounding.

'Trump Troglodytes May Breed Subhuman Species'

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...human-species/

Pew Research Center reports that only 6 percent of scientists identified as Republican and only 9 percent identified as conservatives.
    CRY HARDER, MIDCAN

TRUMP WON

SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

I've had people tell me that like they are afraid that like I might actually reproduce.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Minister of Truth (12-15-2016)

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I've had people tell me that like they are afraid that like I might actually reproduce.
    If I read that correctly, people are afraid you'll reproduce? You seem quite sane compared to most on this site so have it. But I also think people are creations of more than genetics. Our family is enormous and everyone is hard working and honest. I can't say the same for all their contacts spouses and friends. Culture and parents along with social class mean a lot.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I heard yesterday that this is the first time in our history that more 18 to 24 year children live with their parents than on their own. That amazed me as coming from a large family striking out on your own was a rite of passage. Are these the conservatives that are constantly online whining about America like I_Love_America? I wonder?

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2016/...-34-year-olds/

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 2,207 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 970 Times in 889 Posts

I'm curious, how many online have children and or grandchildren? I am often surprised by people, even by my mother and my wife, of how they feel later in life. A certain reality sinks in and they realize how much they think about their children. Others don't seem to care at all. And still others say people who have no children are selfish? Are they.
    I'm later in life and I'm continually amazed at how most of the young faces are brown and the older faces are white. I wonder if the parents of the brown faces got the democrats call to curb population growth?
    Free speech is cool as long as it jibes with our program.

-- The Left

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Granule View Post
    I'm later in life and I'm continually amazed at how most of the young faces are brown and the older faces are white. I wonder if the parents of the brown faces got the democrats call to curb population growth?
    One thing is clear you are an old time racist, lots of you guys around, the republicans have been playing you guys forever it seems. Does the shafting feel good?

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." LBJ

11. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

evince (05-23-2017)

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

One thing is clear you are an old time racist, lots of you guys around, the republicans have been playing you guys forever it seems. Does the shafting feel good?

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." LBJ
    How is his comment racist?

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    How is his comment racist?
    Racist because it uses the conservative meme that minorities vote democratic do I really need to fill in the rest? or the why?

"Racism is not about how you look, it is about how people assign meaning to how you look." Robin D.G. Kelley

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...istle-Politics

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...ht-Wing-Racism

"White children, in the main, and whether they are rich or poor, grow up with a grasp of reality so feeble that they can very accurately be described as deluded--about themselves and the world they live in. White people have managed to get through their entire lifetimes in this euphoric state, but black people have not been so lucky: a black man who sees the world the way John Wayne, for example, sees it would not be an eccentric patriot, but a raving maniac." James Baldwin

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-24-2017), evince (05-23-2017)

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Racist because it uses the conservative meme that minorities vote democratic do I really need to fill in the rest? or the why?

"Racism is not about how you look, it is about how people assign meaning to how you look." Robin D.G. Kelley

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...istle-Politics

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...ht-Wing-Racism

"White children, in the main, and whether they are rich or poor, grow up with a grasp of reality so feeble that they can very accurately be described as deluded--about themselves and the world they live in. White people have managed to get through their entire lifetimes in this euphoric state, but black people have not been so lucky: a black man who sees the world the way John Wayne, for example, sees it would not be an eccentric patriot, but a raving maniac." James Baldwin
    So basically it's not what the actual word, it's what liberal snowflakes want to ascribe to the word; because words really have no meaning and what's really important, is how someone FEELS they should mean.

Now I understand.

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

One thing is clear you are an old time racist,
    Put your finger away, midcan. lol.

I'm curious. What, exactly do you and the other democrats gain from illegal immigration?

lots of you guys around, the republicans have been playing you guys forever it seems. Does the shafting feel good?
    lol. Are you trying to bait me into an insult war? What can you possibly hope to gain in APP by spewing such nonsense at me?

Tell me Midcan, are you white?

-- The Left

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So what do you think, midcan5? Have the parents of the brown faces followed the democrats' call to curb population growth?

-- The Left

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I need to be nicer in APP eh? That said and since we are in APP, I'm going to need some clarification of your questions, last question first, I need you to define 'white' so I can answer that. See if I fit your requirement or definition. And please reply in a serious manner.

Second, both 'brown' and 'gain' pose further questions, how does color enter into immigration? Do you mean race? Please explain. And why would democrats 'gain' from your statement? I've never heard a single democrat claim 'illegal immigration' is a 'gain'? Explain your context, meaning, source, and maybe then I'll understand your statement. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Granule View Post
    So what do you think, midcan5? Have the parents of the brown faces followed the democrats' call to curb population growth?
    After you clarify my questions above, please provide a source for this new question? Again this is not something I am aware of. Source please. Thanks