Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Pelosi challenger: Democrats lost economic focus

Pelosi challenger: Democrats lost economic focus

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...hms-tmobile-us

Rep. Tim Ryan, the Ohio Democrat challenging Nancy Pelosi for the party's House leadership, faulted the House minority leader on Sunday for focusing too narrowly on issues such as Zika virus funding in the lead-up to the election.

"We were talking a lot about issues that weren't deeply economic, and I think that provided a huge opening for Donald Trump to come in, and that led to the disaster that happened on Tuesday," Ryan said in an interview with CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union."

He pointed out that a month before Congress left Washington to hit the campaign trail full time, Democrats were battling for increased funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to fight the Zika virus.

"That's not a deep economic message that's a national message; that's a message in a couple (of) regions in the country. And I think things like that throw us off track," Ryan said.

"We need a brand as a party that says, we are the party that is going to help working-class people -- white people, black people, brown people, gay people, straight people; improve opportunity for them to grow their wages, to have security, economic security," he said. "We got off that message, and when we don't talk about economics, we lose elections."

Ryan described Democrats as in the middle of a "family fight." In a blow to Pelosi, House Democrats postponed their leadership election that had originally been expected to take place last week.

Ryan said he lives in a district where Trump beat Hillary Clinton -- and that the party's path back to a House majority requires winning some of those seats.

"I know who these people are. Some of them are friends of mine, neighbors of mine, who voted for me and voted for Donald Trump," he said. "We have to get those people back into the fold, and as I told my colleagues, I know in my heart that we cannot win the House back under the current leadership. It's time for a change."

Ryan said he's willing to work with Trump -- as long as Trump doesn't cross Democrats on some of the party's top priorities.

"If he tries to defund Planned Parenthood, if he tries to kick people off their health insurance, if they try to privatize Medicare or cut taxes for the wealthy, you know, we're going to have a Youngstown street fight in the Capitol. That's what's going to happen," he said.

"If he has other opportunities where we can grow the economy, where we can invest in working-class people -- knowing that one-third of working-class people are people of color, so this is a broad coalition -- then we will look for places to look for him."

Tapper asked Ryan whether infrastructure is one potential area of cooperation. But Ryan said so far, Trump's infrastructure proposal "looks like a bunch of smoke and mirrors and corporate giveaways."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Go Tim Ryan! Get rid of that useless neoliberal crook Pelosi.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FUCK THE POLICE For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (11-20-2016)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I need to send a letter telling my Maryland rep. who they should support. We need an end to Pelosi.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FUCK THE POLICE For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (11-20-2016)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

We need a brand as a party that says, we are the party that is going to help working-class people -- white people, black people, brown people, gay people, straight people; improve opportunity for them to grow their wages, to have security, economic security," he said. "We got off that message, and when we don't talk about economics, we lose elections."
    stating the obvious -but yes.
    Clinton is a plutocrat - a good part of the Dem's got that -but the minority vote didn't seem to care..

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Watermark View Post
    I need to send a letter telling my Maryland rep. who they should support. We need an end to Pelosi.
    we finally agree. she's another oligarch who needs to go

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    we finally agree. she's another oligarch who needs to go
    Nancy Pelosi represents 500 million Americans and needs to stay

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What does that even mean?

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I was looking up my representative.. holy fuck. Maryland is gerrymandered to all shit.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Wouldn't it be easier to achieve minority representation by using proportional representation, rather than insane looking districts like this?

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,741 Times in 27,222 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,587 Times in 18,176 Posts
    Blog Entries

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Ryan_(politician)

Early life and career[edit]
    Ryan was born in Niles, Ohio, the son of Rochelle Maria (Rizzi) and Allen Leroy Ryan.[1] He is of Irish and Italian ancestry. Ryan's parents divorced when he was seven years old, and Ryan was raised by his mother.[2] Ryan graduated from John F. Kennedy High School in Warren, where he played football as a quarterback and coached junior high basketball. Ryan was recruited to play football at Youngstown State University, but a knee injury ended his playing career and he transferred to Bowling Green State University.[2] He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from Bowling Green in 1995 and was a member of Delta Tau Delta fraternity. After college, Ryan joined the staff of Ohio Congressman Jim Traficant.[2] In 2000, he earned a Juris Doctor degree from Franklin Pierce Law Center in Concord, New Hampshire.[3] From 2000 to 2002 he served half a term in the Ohio State Senate.[2]

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Traficant

James Anthony Traficant Jr (May 8, 1941 – September 27, 2014) was a Democratic, and later independent, politician and member of the United States House of Representatives from Ohio. He represented the 17th Congressional District, which centered on his hometown of Youngstown and included parts of three counties in northeast Ohio's Mahoning Valley. He was expelled from the House after being convicted of taking bribes, filing false tax returns, racketeering and forcing his aides to perform chores at his farm in Ohio and houseboat in Washington, D.C.[1] He was sentenced to prison and released on September 2, 2009, after serving a seven-year sentence.
    Traficant died on September 27, 2014 as the result of injuries sustained in an accident that occurred several days earlier when his tractor flipped over as he was driving it into his barn.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Because Pelosi is a failure.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

U.S. House of Representatives[edit]
    In the House, Traficant was known for his flamboyant and eccentric style. He often dressed poorly, with narrow neckties (then out of style), wide-lapel sport-coats and an occasional denim suit.[13] He also sported an unkempt pompadour, which he jokingly claimed he cut with a weed whacker (it was revealed, after his conviction, that he wore a toupée). His trademark closing lines while addressing the House were "Beam me up..." and "I yield back the fact..." His website featured a picture of him swinging a two-by-four with the words "Bangin' away in D.C."
    While in Congress, Traficant was a supporter of immigration reduction,[14] and a strong opponent of illegal immigration. In the controversy surrounding the defeat of Congressman Bob Dornan (R-CA) by Democrat Loretta Sanchez, Traficant was the only Democratic member of Congress who advocated a new election, due to Dornan's allegations of voting in that race by undocumented immigrants (the allegations went unproven, and a new election was not held).
    Traficant's major legislative accomplishment in the House was the adoption of some of his proposals to constrain enforcement activities by the Internal Revenue Service against delinquent taxpayers.
    After the Republicans took control of the House in 1995, Traficant tended to vote more often with the Republicans than with his own party. On the issue of abortion, Traficant voted with the position of the National Right to Life Committee 95% of the time in the 105th Congress, and 100% of the time in the 106th and 107th Congresses. However, he voted against all four articles of impeachment against Bill Clinton. After he voted for Republican Dennis Hastert for Speaker of the House in 2001, the Democrats stripped him of his seniority and refused to give him any committee assignments. Because the Republicans did not assign him to any committees either, Traficant became the first member of the House of Representatives in over a century—outside the top leadership—to lack a single committee assignment.[15]
    Defending John Demjanjuk[edit]

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Why are you even bringing up Traficant? Ryan took that guys seat.