1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    'It’s the white resentment, stupid.'

This is the best piece I have read on election, and lots of data to back up point of view. Oh and some tweets too in second link.

"So Trump did not appeal to “the working class.” Even among the white working class, he only really dominated in the South. His appeal was to low
    -education whites, not to any particular economic class."

"As Liam Donovan explains, according to exit polls, Trump only got 1 percent more of the white vote than Romney got. But there was a big shift in which whites he got. Relative to Romney, Trump was down 10 points among whites with college degrees, but up 14 points among non-college whites (the stand-in for the myth-encrusted white working class, or WWC)."

"Clinton’s popular vote margin is smaller than those of recent Democrats, but it’s bigger than those of many past winners, bigger than Bush’s in 2000, Carter’s in 1976, Nixon’s in 1968, or Kennedy’s in 1960."

"The most agonizing implication of the narrow loss is that everything mattered....Every decision to hype Clinton’s emails. Comey’s extraordinary violation of precedent. WikiLeaks. Clinton’s Goldman Sachs speeches. Her refusal to dissociate from the Clinton Foundation. Her poor retail politics. Trump not releasing his tax returns. Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan hiding out. Sanders tarnishing Clinton’s image among young people. Institutions standing by and doing nothing as Trump shredded democratic norms. The gamble that Trump’s misogyny and racism would render him unacceptable....Fake news on Facebook. Epistemological bubbles. Elite self-absorption. Hot take after hot take delivered to the choir. Americans making the contest into a crass reality TV show fueled by Facebook memes. The press refusing to cover policy."

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...ntial-election

http://news.groopspeak.com/a-woman-j...eering-her-on/

Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, I do.

Support American workers: http://www.american.edu/kogod/autoindex/2015.cfm

History http://www.justplainpolitics.com/sho...79#post1293479
    Education http://www.justplainpolitics.com/sho...r-A-Republican
    Translation:

I know a LOT of highly educated voters like me who voted for Trump. How sad that liberals must now resort to denial after their smug arrogant predictions of a massive landslide election for a candidate so corrupt and a complete sociopathic liar.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    They have legitimate concerns and anger. That does not justify voting for a candidate who simply appeals to the lowest common detonator and it does not justify not listening with a critical ear, simply voting for the candidate who vaguely seems to promise to make things better, without looking into the personality and underlying motivations and personality is a huge mistake.

I learned that when angry people will lash out and do things against their own interests even in the voting booth. I learned that, for the most part, Republicans don't really care about the Morality many of them preach, and I learned that many things I thought mattered don't when it comes to running a presidential campaign. Intentional ignorance is a real and growing problem in our culture. If you can create the image that you are for someone, what you actually say or promise to do is not important in politics.
    For the stupid, the leftist hypocrites and uneducated:

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Over 100 million eligible wanted none of them & didn't vote..

IMHO apathy is as big a problem, if not more...

Most voters are ill-informed, much of it intentionally as our system honors one liners, tweets, bull shit & promises on par w/ truth...

I think both parties have a lot to do... The gop needs to work through their new trumpfosonian policies & the dems?? WTF, they are running w/ the same corp whores pelosi & shitty shumar They are not going to do a damn thing for the middle class or "the promises" trumpf made.........
    and the big winners of the election are - ignorance, apathy and misinformation

and last but not least - fear and anger
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Quixote For This Post:

Bill (12-06-2016), midcan5 (12-07-2016)

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    They have legitimate concerns and anger. That does not justify voting for a candidate who simply appeals to the lowest common detonator and it does not justify not listening with a critical ear, simply voting for the candidate who vaguely seems to promise to make things better, without looking into the personality and underlying motivations and personality is a huge mistake.

I learned that when angry people will lash out and do things against their own interests even in the voting booth. I learned that, for the most part, Republicans don't really care about the Morality many of them preach, and I learned that many things I thought mattered don't when it comes to running a presidential campaign. Intentional ignorance is a real and growing problem in our culture. If you can create the image that you are for someone, what you actually say or promise to do is not important in politics.
    I couldn't agree more but to shoe box them as dumb illiterates who don't know their best interest or that their anger is misplaced is just grossly wrong.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Replies:

Hillary Clinton is not asking for a recount, it is Jill Stein and a few American citizens. That is their right as Americans.

Apathy is a problem, it is particularly bad during the mid terms. I have no idea how you fix this, many feel it really doesn't matter who wins. I addressed this in the thread OP. When twentieth century progress is rolled back maybe then they'll wake up?

Anger? That's a smoke screen. There is anger but have the moral courage to call it what it is, hate. Hate of change, immigration, racism, nationalism, Hillary hate, etc. They are still chanting 'lock her up' in NC this very day. What sort of anger is that I wonder? Ignorance would be a better explanation as Trump's record is more dishonest than Hillary's assuming for a minute that is the reason for this anger. Someone tell me what they're angry about? Some Trump followers, according to news today, took off work to go to numerous Trump revivals. So angry they missed work to cheer a liar.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Is there any need to comment?

"The rich satisfactions of a politics of villainy! Complicated decades-long tales of technological advance and social change dissolve into the self-satisfied sneer on a hated face. All around me I saw it reproduced, mostly behind bars, on “Crooked Hillary” buttons and “Hillary for Jail!” sweatshirts and much, much worse. “Hillary Clinton murders children!” a middle-aged woman waiting in the two-mile-long line had shouted. “It’s been proved. Hillary Clinton rapes and murders children.”

Not long before I had learned from a small businessman, a produce wholesaler, that the former secretary of state was “a degenerate alcoholic”—a subtext of Trump’s frequent assertion that she “lacked the stamina to be president”—and that FBI director James Comey was on “suicide watch,” the latter words pronounced sarcastically and to a circle of nodding knowing grins, because of course thus far in their careers “the Clintons have killed at least twenty people.”

The words were tossed off calmly, by people with children and cars and jobs, people who watch television and attend PTA meetings and perhaps even read the newspapers. And of course listen to the radio, which had battened on Clinton conspiracy theories for decades. And so we had passed the hours waiting for him in that aircraft hangar by batting around above our heads two red, white, and blue beach balls with the words “Crooked Hillary” inscribed prominently upon them. Hit it! Hit it harder!"

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016...he-real-trump/
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

8. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

Bill (12-07-2016)

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Don Quixote;1772470]and the big winners of the election are - ignorance, apathy and misinformation

and last but not least - fear and anger.

Wrong; those will be going out the door when the Obama Administration leaves. 8 long years of malaise, lies, a massive lack of transparency and divisive partisan stupidity unlike any previous Presidency in our history.

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I couldn't agree more but to shoe box them as dumb illiterates who don't know their best interest or that their anger is misplaced is just grossly wrong.
    You couldn't agree more, but he is just grossly wrong. You don't read your laughable drivel before hit the post button do you?

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hillary Clinton is not asking for a recount, it is Jill Stein and a few American citizens. That is their right as Americans.
    Jill Stein has no game in this election. She got less than one percent of the vote. You don't insist on recounts if you didn't have any game. This is sponsored by the Clinton campaign and claims to the contrary suggest dishonesty or a stunning naiveté about how the real world operates.

I want someone to explain why a third party candidate demands a recount on behalf of ANOTHER candidate if it isn't to benefit the OTHER candidate.

I guess Jill the Marxist Stein should have stayed home and voted for Hillary instead of stealing less than a percentage of the votes from her. Liberals are the dumbest most dishonest hypocrites on the planet.

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Apathy is a problem, it is particularly bad during the mid terms. I have no idea how you fix this, many feel it really doesn't matter who wins. I addressed this in the thread OP. When twentieth century progress is rolled back maybe then they'll wake up?
    How is apathy a problem? I am curious about this meme that every ignoramus in the nation should go out and vote even if they don't have a clue what the Constitution stands for or who the candidates are.

There was apathy, but it wasn't coming from the trump supporters.....they were fired up. On the Democrats side, not so much excitement.

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Anger? That's a smoke screen. There is anger but have the moral courage to call it what it is, hate. Hate of change, immigration, racism, nationalism, Hillary hate, etc. They are still chanting 'lock her up' in NC this very day. What sort of anger is that I wonder? Ignorance would be a better explanation as Trump's record is more dishonest than Hillary's assuming for a minute that is the reason for this anger. Someone tell me what they're angry about? Some Trump followers, according to news today, took off work to go to numerous Trump revivals. So angry they missed work to cheer a liar.

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Is there any need to comment?

"The rich satisfactions of a politics of villainy! Complicated decades-long tales of technological advance and social change dissolve into the self-satisfied sneer on a hated face. All around me I saw it reproduced, mostly behind bars, on “Crooked Hillary” buttons and “Hillary for Jail!” sweatshirts and much, much worse. “Hillary Clinton murders children!” a middle-aged woman waiting in the two-mile-long line had shouted. “It’s been proved. Hillary Clinton rapes and murders children.”

Not long before I had learned from a small businessman, a produce wholesaler, that the former secretary of state was “a degenerate alcoholic”—a subtext of Trump’s frequent assertion that she “lacked the stamina to be president”—and that FBI director James Comey was on “suicide watch,” the latter words pronounced sarcastically and to a circle of nodding knowing grins, because of course thus far in their careers “the Clintons have killed at least twenty people.”

The words were tossed off calmly, by people with children and cars and jobs, people who watch television and attend PTA meetings and perhaps even read the newspapers. And of course listen to the radio, which had battened on Clinton conspiracy theories for decades. And so we had passed the hours waiting for him in that aircraft hangar by batting around above our heads two red, white, and blue beach balls with the words “Crooked Hillary” inscribed prominently upon them. Hit it! Hit it harder!"

15. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So after 40 plus posts; it is painfully obvious some Liberals still don't get it and think they should be winning.

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

some people will believe anything as long as it supports their beliefs
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Quixote For This Post:

Bill (12-07-2016), midcan5 (12-07-2016)

18. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    So after 40 plus posts; it is painfully obvious some Liberals still don't get it and think they should be winning.
    Truth, you are obviously full of hate or resentment, and it is you who don't get it. The OP and subsequent posts confirm the fact this election was about anger and white resentment. You display that daily. There is always a bad actor to blame, never is the mind turned back on the person. Hate crimes since Trump's election have grown as his message was one of hatred towards many people. I do wonder whether he used that tactic to play white resentment and stir up the base? Did he really care or was he just playing a evil sort of game. There is plenty of information above for the interested reader, and why are you here in this thread when like some little fascist you censor your threads so as to control the conversation? Your constant inane comments and dumb graphics are another way to play fascist. Do you not see who you are?

======================

"What people don't realize about Donald Trump — and I don't even know if Donald Trump realizes it — is that every tweet he unleashes against you, creates such a crescendo of anger." Megyn Kelly

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/07/504622...hase-right-now

'Donald Trump is a promoter: he promotes resentment and he promotes fantasy. “I play to people’s fantasies,” he wrote in his most famous book.'

"The hatred of the Other that Trump had so skillfully cultivated throughout the campaign—the portrayal of illegal immigrants as rapists and murderers, the assertions that the Mexicans and Chinese and others had “stolen our jobs,” the insistence that allies in Europe and Asia were calculating freeloaders usurping the protections of American power—had some precedent in his public rhetoric, and his use of it brought rich political benefits, not only among his working-class white audience but among the appalled elite that ensured his words dominated the news cycle. But the markedly anti-Semitic tropes he mouthed in West Palm Beach seemed to come from somewhere else, in this case an intellectual white nationalist—or “a nationalist, an economic nationalist,” as Bannon prefers—whose calculatedly inflamed rhetoric Trump seemed to unleash opportunistically in a moment of anger and vulnerability."