Thread: Saying hi!

1. #421 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,621 Times in 10,578 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle82 View Post
    Well since we don't have that here than there's no reason.
    Yeah, but it is politics...

They seem assured of their rights because of precedent. I hate that idea, new precedent isn't that hard to make. I like that we have certain ideas presented as the center of government without reserve.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #422 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I don't believe that they have less than a six year "term". Like the UK they are allowed to call elections when they are sure of their party's success and their continuation in power. Of course Said1 or anybody with more knowledge can correct me.
    Yes, that's accurate, but I'm saying there are no limits on the number of terms as long as they have their party's support. That's what I mean by no term limits. I should be clearer, I just assume everyone knows what I mean.

I don't believe that they have a written constitution either.
    Yes we do have a written constitution (constitution Act), but there are parts that fall in line with British tradition and are unwritten. Part 1 is the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, outlining civil rights and liberties - Part 3, exclusivly for aboriginals. It contains a new ammending formula etc, etc. And I'll stop there.

3. #423 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

The British don't really have a constitution, IMHO. What the call a constitution is more like what we would call a deeply revered law. But their "constitution" is in no way embedded or protected from ammending. Many casual bills make ammendments and exceptions to it all the time.

The British government is modeled on the concept of legislative supremacy. The legislature is omnipotent in power and unchecked.

The house of Lords is technically a check but an extremely weak one, as they can only delay bills for about six months, after which there is another vote in the Commons. This has on occasion caused the government to reconsider bills if the debate on the bill in that time proves it to be extremely unpopular, but you can see how weak Lords is. Mostly the Lords just rubber stamp everything. And Britian is thinking about abolishing the house anyway.
    Last edited by FUCK THE POLICE; 12-22-2007 at 09:15 PM.

4. #424 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And in Britian, the indivdual legislature doesn't really matter. It's more like they have 635 robots, a prime minister, and two shadow prime ministers.

5. #425 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

But watching the Parliament argue can be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    And in Britian, the indivdual legislature doesn't really matter. It's more like they have 635 robots, a prime minister, and two shadow prime ministers.

6. #426 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,621 Times in 10,578 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle82 View Post
    But watching the Parliament argue can be fun!
    It's like watching Rugby, almost totally incomprehensible with occasional flashes of something you recognize as football mixed in...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #427 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Lol true. I just like to watch them shout and yell. Better than our Congress and Senate. ZZzzzz!

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    It's like watching Rugby, almost totally incomprehensible with occasional flashes of something you recognize as football mixed in...

8. #428 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Order blows. American's are too stiff.

9. #429 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The place in the world with the harshest party discipline, I think, would be Canada. All of the votes all the time are boted on by party bloc. If a person in a party disagrees and votes against it, he's thrown out.

Of course, there are the political systems with party lists. In those, I guess, party discipline is stronger, because the party directly appoints members to sit in parliament.

10. #430 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    The British don't really have a constitution, IMHO. What the call a constitution is more like what we would call a deeply revered law. But their "constitution" is in no way embedded or protected from ammending. Many casual bills make ammendments and exceptions to it all the time.
    Precisley. It's uncodefied, fluid. Ours is too, IMHO, given the new amending formula. It's not that easy to carry out, but it can be done. It's even easier if changes only affect one province.

The house of Lords is technically a check but an extremely weak one, as they can only delay bills for about six months, after which there is another vote in the Commons. This has on occasion caused the government to reconsider bills if the debate on the bill in that time proves it to be extremely unpopular, but you can see how weak Lords is. Mostly the Lords just rubber stamp everything. And Britian is thinking about abolishing the house anyway.
    Instead of House of Lords, we have Senators - same powers - 9 months (i think) instead of 6. Lots of them are retired journalist buddies of ex-pms.

As for you party voting analogy, correct again. Voting against your party is career suicided. Same with switching parties.

11. #431 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Precisley. It's uncodefied, fluid. Ours is too, IMHO, given the new amending formula. It's not that easy to carry out, but it can be done. It's even easier if changes only affect one province.
    "Fluid"

That's a nice way to put it. Boy, wouldn't of all the dictator presidents we've had in the past have loved it if our constitution were "fluid".

Instead of House of Lords, we have Senators - same powers - 9 months (i think) instead of 6. Lots of them are retired journalist buddies of ex-pms.
    The senate of Canada is pretty much a joke. I really like the House of Lords better. Something in the way the two are constructed make for very different results. All the Canadian senate does is rubber stamp at a cost of a few dozen million a year.

As for you party voting analogy, correct again. Voting against your party is career suicided. Same with switching parties.
    That's such an odd thing. In America, politicians are more likely than not praised for their political independence. I don't know how you guys tolerate such wishy washys.