Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dixie Schools Waterhead in English....

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

Default Dixie Schools Waterhead in English....

Watermark has taken exception with my posting his quote in my sig, and while I am thrilled that it bothered him enough to protest, I also enjoy thumping him on his hollow noggin.

From people who should suffice as unbiased experts on the subject:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/592/01/

RE: Proper capitalization;

The names of God, specific deities, religious figures, and holy books.

God the Father
    the Virgin Mary
    the Bible
    the Greek gods
    Moses
    Shiva
    Buddha
    Zeus

Exception: Do not capitalize the non-specific use of the word "god."
    The word "polytheistic" means the worship of more than one god.
    ========================================

Thus, you earned the honors for Pinhead Quote of the Moment.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like it, the pinhead quote of the month has a nice ring too it! Make me think of my shitbrick thread, I wonder why? Oh' must be all the oneway back patting going on that a few had to knock em' down a peg! .......

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thankyou for not diproving anything I've said.

You capitalize those things whenever you are referencing something specific, it's a title. I never disagreed with any of that. You've not disproved any of it. It's bad grammar, however, to capitalize "he" when in reference to God, just as you would not capitlize "he" when in reference to myself. To do so just to make yourself look holier than everyone else is annoying.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

God you're an idiot.

What the hell's your point? You didn't disprove anything I said. Why are you acting like you've made this humongous point? Fucktard.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

People first started capitizing God whenever the English language began, because that's simply how it works. God is classified as a person grammatically, not matter how you feel about it. Then holier-than-thou religious zealots ran with that notion and believed people were capitilizing it to difference it from the gods, whenever actually "gods" isn't capitilized because it's nonspecific, like any other nonspecific term. Then they started capitilizing "He" because it made them feel better than everyone else. Finally we're getting away from such nonsense.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,530 Times in 2,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 479 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries

I cannot believe you are giving him this much attention.... you know he craves it like a little kid

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maineman View Post
    I cannot believe you are giving him this much attention.... you know he craves it like a little kid
    Don't forget about me maine, I'm kinda hard to ignore!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maineman View Post
    Dixie? Or me?

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

dixie of course

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,621 Times in 10,578 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think he means he can't believe that you (watermark) are giving him (dixie) this much attention...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I think he means he can't believe that you (watermark) are giving him (dixie) this much attention...
    bingo

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    People first started capitizing God whenever the English language began, because that's simply how it works. God is classified as a person grammatically, not matter how you feel about it. Then holier-than-thou religious zealots ran with that notion and believed people were capitilizing it to difference it from the gods, whenever actually "gods" isn't capitilized because it's nonspecific, like any other nonspecific term. Then they started capitilizing "He" because it made them feel better than everyone else. Finally we're getting away from such nonsense.
    LMAO... Simply how it works? Is that your evidence to back your absurdity? God isn't "classified" as a person or an individual, as you said. God is classified as God, a specific religious deity. When speaking on this deity's Son, it is also capitalized, because the Son of God is a religious figure... like the Virgin Mary. When speaking of this deity in gender-based pronouns, like He, His, Him, it is properly capitalized to denote reference to said "religious figure".

That's simply how English grammar works.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

God is capitalized because it is specific, like any other specific term. "He" is not specific. You don't capitlize it, unless you're talking about someone who happens to be named "He". To create extra rules in order to make yourself feel better than the heathens who don't use them is ridiculous, and I refuse to use these holyroller addendums to the English language.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    God is capitalized because it is specific, like any other specific term. "He" is not specific. You don't capitlize it, unless you're talking about someone who happens to be named "He". To create extra rules in order to make yourself feel better than the heathens who don't use them is ridiculous, and I refuse to use these holyroller addendums to the English language.

"He," when speaking of "God" is specific. God is not a male or female, the pronoun is often used as a proper noun, to refer to the entity, "God," and when it specifically is, it may be capitalized. I didn't create the rule, the people who created grammar did, I am just pointing them out to you. Again, see the link above, from the English Department at Purdue University.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They didn't say anything about capitilizing "He", which is capitalized nowhere else in the English language.

And, BTW, there was noone who "created" grammar, and really, there isn't a fully specific way to define it. To say so would show a profound misunderstanding of linguistics on your part. I'll use my dialect, and you use your hollier-than-thou, look at me I'm great dialect.