Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clinton allies see double standard and sexism in debate

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Default Clinton allies see double standard and sexism in debate

Hillary Clinton supporters see a double standard when it comes to Monday's presidential debate, which for the first time will feature a woman debating a man.

Throughout the campaign, Clinton has faced questions and criticisms that would not be asked or made to a male candidate, her allies say.

The jabs have come even Clinton surrogates such as former Pennsylvania governor Ed Rendell, who this week said he'd like to see Clinton “smile more” in the debate.
    The comment left ClintonWorld shaking its collective head.

“She can’t win, even with her own,” one Clinton confidant grumbled.

“Is there a double standard? One hundred percent times 100 percent,” said Tracy Sefl, a Democratic consultant and Clinton surrogate. “And God forbid if she coughs.”

Rendell’s comments were just the latest frustration for Clinton and her campaign, which believes she is being measured and criticized unfairly ahead of the debate at Hofstra Univerity in New York.

They say their candidate will be criticized for smiling too much or too little, for cracking too many jokes or not enough. She’s criticized when she talks too much about policy, and she’s criticized if she relies on too many zingers.

The tone of Clinton’s voice is repeatedly analyzed, as is her wardrobe. Clinton allies note that graphics have been made about the former New York senator’s pantsuits, while stories have been written about her wearing a scrunchie.

Some of the complaints could be meant to set expectations for Monday night, something typical ahead of a presidential debate.

Clinton will enter with clear advantages over Trump, who has never taken part in a one-on-one debate before, and Team Trump is clearly seeking to lower expectations for their candidate.

“Donald Trump is new to the format,” Sean Spicer, the communications director for the Republican National Committee, wrote in a memo on Thursday. “Trump’s lack of formal, political, one-on-one debate experience gives Clinton a significant edge.”

Yet the charges of a double-standard and sexism from the Clinton campaign are deeply felt.

“With two guys in a scrum, they can do anything but kill each other and the guy that wins wins,” the Clinton confidant said. “I’m not sure she can win the debate. I think she can prosecute it to a draw. It’s just not set up that way this cycle.”

To be sure, there is some danger for Trump in debating a woman.

In 2000, Republican Rick Lazio was accused of invading Clinton’s bubble as he walked to her side of the stage during the debate.

He later said the charges of sexism lobbed his way were unfair, and that it was Clinton who benefitted from sexism.

“You can’t make a point forcefully if you’re a man and the person you are making a point with is a woman,” he said at the time, according to the New York Times. “I just think that that’s sexist.”

Trump stumbled during the GOP primary when he took on rival candidate Carly Fiorina and made a negative remark about her looks in an interview with Rolling Stone.

“Look at that face. Would anyone vote for that?” Trump said.

Critics called him sexist and days later, Fiorina had the last word on the matter: “I think women all over this country heard very clearly what Mr. Trump said,” she said at a GOP debate.

Observers say Trump may have to tread carefully with his remarks and body language on Monday.

“[It’s] going to be hard for Trump to not come across as condescending to a female candidate,” said Katherine Jellison, a professor at Ohio University who specializes in women’s history. “I bet his team is really warning him about that.”

Political observers and even Clinton allies acknowledge that while Clinton is seen differently because she’s a woman, she’s also being judged on her own merits.

“She’s being judged because she’s a woman but also because she’s Hillary Clinton,” said Tobe Berkovitz, a Boston University professor in the college of communication. “For Hillary, being Hillary is a blessing and a curse. She’s a candidate dragging 25 years of baggage onto the stage, some of which the conservative media promoted and some of it was her own doing.

In an episode of the Funny or Die web series “Between Two Ferns,” comedian Zach Galifianakis asked what Clinton was planning to wear to the debate, spoofing the current chatter around the Democratic nominee.

“There’s this thing called the double standard and so I think about ‘Well, what should the first woman nominee of one of our two major parties wear to the debate?’ and I have no idea so if you’ve got suggestions I’m open to them,” she said.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...xism-in-debate

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

did anyone not see this coming??

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Well, she wants to stand on a soapbox to look taller and demands the cameras don't show her if she coughs.....that will help her a little...
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There’s this thing called the double standard and so I think about ‘Well, what should the first woman nominee of one of our two major parties wear to the debate?’ and I have no idea so if you’ve got suggestions I’m open to them,” she said.
    poor Hillary the victim

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    Hillary Clinton supporters see a double standard when it comes to Monday's presidential debate, which for the first time will feature a woman debating a man.

Throughout the campaign, Clinton has faced questions and criticisms that would not be asked or made to a male candidate, her allies say.

The jabs have come even Clinton surrogates such as former Pennsylvania governor Ed Rendell, who this week said he'd like to see Clinton “smile more” in the debate.
    The comment left ClintonWorld shaking its collective head.

“She can’t win, even with her own,” one Clinton confidant grumbled.

“Is there a double standard? One hundred percent times 100 percent,” said Tracy Sefl, a Democratic consultant and Clinton surrogate. “And God forbid if she coughs.”

Rendell’s comments were just the latest frustration for Clinton and her campaign, which believes she is being measured and criticized unfairly ahead of the debate at Hofstra Univerity in New York.

They say their candidate will be criticized for smiling too much or too little, for cracking too many jokes or not enough. She’s criticized when she talks too much about policy, and she’s criticized if she relies on too many zingers.

The tone of Clinton’s voice is repeatedly analyzed, as is her wardrobe. Clinton allies note that graphics have been made about the former New York senator’s pantsuits, while stories have been written about her wearing a scrunchie.

Some of the complaints could be meant to set expectations for Monday night, something typical ahead of a presidential debate.

Clinton will enter with clear advantages over Trump, who has never taken part in a one-on-one debate before, and Team Trump is clearly seeking to lower expectations for their candidate.

“Donald Trump is new to the format,” Sean Spicer, the communications director for the Republican National Committee, wrote in a memo on Thursday. “Trump’s lack of formal, political, one-on-one debate experience gives Clinton a significant edge.”

Yet the charges of a double-standard and sexism from the Clinton campaign are deeply felt.

“With two guys in a scrum, they can do anything but kill each other and the guy that wins wins,” the Clinton confidant said. “I’m not sure she can win the debate. I think she can prosecute it to a draw. It’s just not set up that way this cycle.”

To be sure, there is some danger for Trump in debating a woman.

In 2000, Republican Rick Lazio was accused of invading Clinton’s bubble as he walked to her side of the stage during the debate.

He later said the charges of sexism lobbed his way were unfair, and that it was Clinton who benefitted from sexism.

“You can’t make a point forcefully if you’re a man and the person you are making a point with is a woman,” he said at the time, according to the New York Times. “I just think that that’s sexist.”

Trump stumbled during the GOP primary when he took on rival candidate Carly Fiorina and made a negative remark about her looks in an interview with Rolling Stone.

“Look at that face. Would anyone vote for that?” Trump said.

Critics called him sexist and days later, Fiorina had the last word on the matter: “I think women all over this country heard very clearly what Mr. Trump said,” she said at a GOP debate.

Observers say Trump may have to tread carefully with his remarks and body language on Monday.

“[It’s] going to be hard for Trump to not come across as condescending to a female candidate,” said Katherine Jellison, a professor at Ohio University who specializes in women’s history. “I bet his team is really warning him about that.”

Political observers and even Clinton allies acknowledge that while Clinton is seen differently because she’s a woman, she’s also being judged on her own merits.

“She’s being judged because she’s a woman but also because she’s Hillary Clinton,” said Tobe Berkovitz, a Boston University professor in the college of communication. “For Hillary, being Hillary is a blessing and a curse. She’s a candidate dragging 25 years of baggage onto the stage, some of which the conservative media promoted and some of it was her own doing.

In an episode of the Funny or Die web series “Between Two Ferns,” comedian Zach Galifianakis asked what Clinton was planning to wear to the debate, spoofing the current chatter around the Democratic nominee.

“There’s this thing called the double standard and so I think about ‘Well, what should the first woman nominee of one of our two major parties wear to the debate?’ and I have no idea so if you’ve got suggestions I’m open to them,” she said.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...xism-in-debate
    Her aides are probably starting this "idea"; so if the debate goes badly for her they can fall back on it, as to why she lost.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,970 Times in 32,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    like, "why the fuck did you lie about your emails?".......no male candidates were asked similar questions......ditto with "why did you lie about Benghazi?"......why wasn't Trump asked the same thing?........

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Truth Detector (09-26-2016)

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,739 Times in 27,222 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,587 Times in 18,176 Posts
    Blog Entries

9. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    so you stupid fucking assholes are here to claim sexism doesn't exsist either
    yes. I claim that sexism does not exist for a person of the influence and wealth of hillary clinton. Just as I claim racism does not exist for someone like lebron james.
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tsuke For This Post:

Darth Omar (09-26-2016)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,739 Times in 27,222 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,587 Times in 18,176 Posts
    Blog Entries

13. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    you are insane
    hs she ever been denied anything because of her sex? Does she have less opportunities than your average male?
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 960 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 127 Posts
    Blog Entries

Typical faux feminism. Women who want equality, also want special considerations.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Craft For This Post:

NOVA (09-25-2016), Truth Detector (09-26-2016)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,184 Times in 25,719 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    Well, she wants to stand on a soapbox to look taller and demands the cameras don't show her if she coughs.....that will help her a little...

Trump's a misogynist oinker. My money says he won't get through this without some nasty gender-related crack. He couldn't even keep his ugly pie hole shut about a candidate from his own party.

In case you forgot, bravs:

Trump took another sexist swipe at his only female rival on the Republican side, Carly Fiorina. A September Rolling Stone profile revealed a particularly boorish moment for Trump on the campaign trail. “Look at that face!” he said at a conference table while he and his staff laughed as Fiorina took a question about him on television. “Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?!”

During the second GOP debate when Trump denied he was referring to the former HP executive’s face, insisting he was describing her persona, Fiorina delivered a simple debate stage smackdown. “I think women all over this country heard very clearly what Mr. Trump said,” she said to wild applause.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

18. The Following User Groans At christiefan915 For This Awful Post:

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsuke View Post
    yes. I claim that sexism does not exist for a person of the influence and wealth of hillary clinton. Just as I claim racism does not exist for someone like lebron james.
    You or I will never experience the privileges of Lebron James lol.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    A special podium was made for her in order to offset the height difference between her (5' 4") and Trump (6' 2").

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post

Trump's a misogynist oinker. My money says he won't get through this without some nasty gender-related crack. He couldn't even keep his ugly pie hole shut about a candidate from his own party.

In case you forgot, bravs:

Trump took another sexist swipe at his only female rival on the Republican side, Carly Fiorina. A September Rolling Stone profile revealed a particularly boorish moment for Trump on the campaign trail. “Look at that face!” he said at a conference table while he and his staff laughed as Fiorina took a question about him on television. “Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?!”

During the second GOP debate when Trump denied he was referring to the former HP executive’s face, insisting he was describing her persona, Fiorina delivered a simple debate stage smackdown. “I think women all over this country heard very clearly what Mr. Trump said,” she said to wild applause.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.