Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble/Challenges in Milwaukee

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Trouble/Challenges in Milwaukee

Of all police shootings a black officer shooting an armed black man doesn't seem like it would be one to set people off. Article below is written by a long time resident of Milwaukee talking about what's happened over the past several decades in his neighborhood. Kind of depressing read actually.

Causey: Neighborhood caught in downward spiral

Why did this happen? That's the question many are asking in the aftermath of the fury that erupted in the Sherman Park area Saturday night.

Why did this happen? That's the question many are asking in the aftermath of the fury that erupted in the Sherman Park area Saturday night.

As a person who lives less than one mile from where the BP gas station was torched to the ground late Saturday, I can tell you that the neighborhood — once the place in Milwaukee for upwardly mobile, middle-class African Americans — has been balancing on the tipping point for years.

The fatal police shooting of an armed black man around 3:30 p.m. Saturday may have provided the spark, but the neighborhood has been on high simmer, with the temperature rising each year since the Great Recession, as the longed-for recovery never arrives.

The shooting occurred after a traffic stop of two men in a car led to a foot chase. Sylville Smith, 23, armed with a handgun, was fatally shot by a police officer.

I've lived near Sherman Blvd. and Capitol Drive for nearly four decades. The majority of people living in the area are hard-working individuals who just want to keep their neighborhood and families safe. However, in recent years many have become thankful just to make it home at night because of the violence and recklessness of some of their neighbors.

I have been a witness over the years as the loss of family-sustaining jobs, the breakdown of families, and the sense of despair about a better future have cast an ever-expanding cloud over the neighborhood.

Dramatic changes

Things have changed drastically in Milwaukee since the 1970s when my parents purchased their first home. Manufacturing jobs were plentiful and provided a livable wage to workers with a high school diploma. Those jobs, at places like Master Lock and Jay's Potato Chips, helped black families achieve their dream of home ownership in and around Sherman Park, where they hoped to build the foundation for a better future for their families.

Nearby, at the corner of Capitol Drive and Hopkins Street, are the former Tower Automotive and A.O. Smith sites that employed thousands of workers who welded the frames used by America's car manufacturers. The city has built Century City there to lure businesses back. Century City is a pretty building, but it's empty.

I'm not making excuses for anybody. There is no excuse for burning down businesses, setting cars on fire, shooting at squad cars, attacking reporters trying to do their jobs and turning a neighborhood into a war zone. There is no excuse for the rash of car thefts and car jackings, the property destruction, the violence that causes businesses to stay away from Century City when they recently filled the rejuvenated Menomonee Valley.

I'm describing what I've seen, a cycle of one thing leading to another, how the loss of jobs breaks some people and families, how self-destructive behavior multiplies, how drug use and crime proliferate — how the negative cycle feeds on itself, becoming a whirlpool, sucking a community downward, taking the innocent as well as the guilty.

Mayor Tom Barrett said during a midnight news conference that this is not the Milwaukee he knows. It's not the Milwaukee I knew either. It's definitely not the Milwaukee my parents tried to give to me.

Milwaukee had 145 homicide victims last year, a 69% increase from 2014. The city has counted more than 80 homicides so far this year, with five of those occurring between Friday and Saturday.

Barrett asked every resident of the neighborhood to help the police restore order. Ald. Russell Stamper II stated during the news conference that people are hurting and in pain, and he pledged to find funding to address the needs of the community. We've heard all this before. It's going to take a lot more.

Yes, it's going to take a more active and engaged mayor and common council willing to do whatever they can to help neighborhoods where many law-abiding residents feel long-ignored. Yes, it's going to take a more active and engaged criminal justice system that doesn't slap violent young offenders on the wrist.

It's also going to take a more active and engaged governor willing to sit at the table with local leaders and help create solutions for the city. Wisconsin can't be "Open for Business" everywhere except Milwaukee's poor neighborhoods — they remain a vital part of this state, even if mostly Democrats live there.

It's going to take more than government leaders. It's going to take a long-term commitment by people inside and outside Milwaukee, most of whom aren't government officials, to find more ways to connect family supporting jobs to people who desperately need them; to prepare people for their jobs even if they have lived through traumatic childhoods; to start building a cycle where one upward step leads to another.

I saw one of those steps taken Sunday morning, when dozens of people showed up outside the burned-out BP gas station with plastic bags and tools to clean up their neighborhood. The people of goodwill who live in this neighborhood have not lost hope. They are willing to do the hard work it will take to clean up this mess.

How many of us are willing to join them?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/opinio...iral/88728760/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Seahawk (08-16-2016)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Maybe questions need to be raised, regarding why the businesses moved away or closed and no one else moving in to the building.

Did Unions have anything to do with Master Lock not being able to compete and pay Union Wages??

Should some of the other businesses been protected from Bankruptcy?
    Last edited by USFREEDOM911; 08-14-2016 at 08:33 PM.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,188 Times in 25,723 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Of all police shootings a black officer shooting an armed black man doesn't seem like it would be one to set people off. Article below is written by a long time resident of Milwaukee talking about what's happened over the past several decades in his neighborhood. Kind of depressing read actually.

Causey: Neighborhood caught in downward spiral

<snip>

http://www.jsonline.com/story/opinio...iral/88728760/
    It depresses me to read sentences like this: "... the neighborhood — once the place in Milwaukee for upwardly mobile, middle-class African Americans —"

It's 2016 and African Americans still have live in separate neighborhoods, even the upwardly mobile ones.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    It depresses me to read sentences like this: "... the neighborhood — once the place in Milwaukee for upwardly mobile, middle-class African Americans —"

It's 2016 and African Americans still have live in separate neighborhoods, even the upwardly mobile ones.
    I don't see anything in there that says they have to live there. Is it a bad thing if they choose to live in a largely black neighborhood?

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

When I moved to Oakland in 1981 it was 50% black. Today Oakland is about 25% black, 25% Hispanic, 25% Asian and 25% white. On paper that's about your perfect racial mix right? Yet many black people complain that they have lost their culture in Oakland with so many black people leaving. You said it was depressing that blacks in Milwaukee live near each other. If that's the case shouldn't people in Oakland be celebrating?

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't see anything in there that says they have to live there. Is it a bad thing if they choose to live in a largely black neighborhood?
    Why are there largely-black neighborhoods today? There are plenty of largely-white neighborhoods all over and I believe it's because they want to segregate themselves.

― Charles Dickens

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

When I moved to Oakland in 1981 it was 50% black. Today Oakland is about 25% black, 25% Hispanic, 25% Asian and 25% white. On paper that's about your perfect racial mix right? Yet many black people complain that they have lost their culture in Oakland with so many black people leaving. You said it was depressing that blacks in Milwaukee live near each other. If that's the case shouldn't people in Oakland be celebrating?
    I'm only giving my opinion and not trying to get into the minds of the Milwaukee or Oakland people. But let's be honest, we both know that many, many white people fear and detest blacks and don't want to live anywhere near them.

― Charles Dickens

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 24 Posts

They can live anywhere they want you dumb bitch, they choose to self segregate because they hate white people as proven by the anti-white black Nazi Kristallnacht against whites that just occurred.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Face, Your View Post
    They can live anywhere they want you dumb bitch, they choose to self segregate because they hate white people as proven by the anti-white black Nazi Kristallnacht against whites that just occurred.
    You are a perfect example of the whites they want to avoid.

― Charles Dickens

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why are there largely-black neighborhoods today? There are plenty of largely-white neighborhoods all over and I believe it's because they want to segregate themselves.
    Many blacks want to live around other blacks. Why do we have china towns and japan towns? In San Francisco we have Irish neighborhoods, Italian neighborhoods, black neighborhoods and Hispanic neighborhoods. Ladera Heights in LA is known as the black Beverly Hills. Is it wrong that well to do blacks want to live around other well to do blacks? There are concerns that neighborhood is gentrifying. Look at Brooklyn and all the white people who have moved in there. Those are white people moving into a traditionally black neighborhood and pricing blacks out. Is that a good thing?

People generally tend to live in the best economic neighborhood they can afford and they want good schools. How people do you know that have money but choose to live in a poor neighborhood?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (08-16-2016)

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Milwaukee had 145 homicide victims last year, a 69% increase from 2014. The city has counted more than 80 homicides so far this year, with five of those occurring between Friday and Saturday.
    another city with exploding homicide rates this year.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm only giving my opinion and not trying to get into the minds of the Milwaukee or Oakland people. But let's be honest, we both know that many, many white people fear and detest blacks and don't want to live anywhere near them.
    I think people want to live in the best neighborhood they can that is the safest and has the best schools. That's something that transcends race. White people are gentrifying Oakland right now. Many people are pissed about it. So if white's move near blacks it's gentrification and considered bad and if they don't live near blacks it's because their racist.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (08-15-2016), Mott the Hoople (08-16-2016)

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Face, Your View Post
    Da fvck?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (08-16-2016)

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,185 Times in 33,874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

I didn't check when I purchased mine, I just bought a home. It was in an area I liked.

It must matter to some people because there are still white and black neighborhoods.

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    I didn't check when I purchased mine, I just bought a home. It was in an area I liked.

It must matter to some people because there are still white and black neighborhoods.
    What did you like about the area? I looked up the demographics of your city and its 83% white and less than 1% black. Based on Christi's sentiment you would be afraid of black peoole for living in such a neighborhood.

And if integrated neighborhoods are so important why is gentrification considered such a bad thing?