View Poll Results: Should the Current Events section be merged with General Politics?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should be merged

10 66.67%
  • No, it's fine how it is

4 26.67%
  • I don't care either way

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merging the Forums (Poll)

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Merging the Forums (Poll)

Greetings everyone. I am JUST curious... this doesn't have to mean anything, I am just interested in everyone elses thoughts.

Would you like it if the current events forum and the general politics forum was merged?

For me, I feel it hard to keep track of various threads I have participated in. Yes I use the search function but the disorganization I think hampers me. I prefer to have everything just laid out.

I am just interested in everyone elses thoughts . .

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

It may seem more convenient now to merge them. I believe it would be a mistake, however. If the site takes off and the number of regular posters rises above a certain level -- maybe a hundred or so -- keeping everying mushed together into one forum becomes really chaotic. Believe me: I've been there, done that and have been forced to dig out from under it.

Grouping threads together by general theme really does make sense.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

In a smaller forum like this it simply causes lot's of confusion.

Maybe one "economic policy" and one "social policy" thread.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    In a smaller forum like this it simply causes lot's of confusion.

Maybe one "economic policy" and one "social policy" thread.
    Some people are easily confused, it seems.

I certainly agree that re-labelling the forums might be in order. "General Politics" is like saying "Miscelaneous." I like "Current Events," personally, but "Social Policy" might be a good companion. Or how about "Culture War" if Damo wants to be more flamboyant?

"A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've been trying to think of a good divide. The two are relatively closely named.

I think two forums is starting to get more needed. I have been to boards where too few of them makes it far more confusing than you think. There are also more features like Subscribing to the thread to find out which threads you have taken part in. You can even set it up to e-mail you an replies.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Any thread that's has "general" in its name will eventually get so much dumped into it that the rest of the forums will become absolutely irrelevant.

Social policy, Economic policy, Foreign policy, and Whatever Goes cover just about everything imaginable.

In a smaller forum like this setting up 10 different forums would mean that each would have so few posts and threads that the site would seem dead to everyone.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If the site get's large enough to mandate it, however, splitting, for instance, "social policy" into two different forums that cover as much territory would get difficult withough creating a "general" forum, and a general forum would make the other forum irrelevant.

If we are going to split up the forums, there needs to be enough difference between each one that a near-equal amount of threads is in each one. No one needs to have 90% of the posts or else we're basically in the same situation we are in now.

With what I proposed, you pretty much know what you're getting. However, for instance, Brent's 7 forums were a nightmare to navigate, and there was very little to distingiush each one. Let's not fall into Brent's or SR's mistakes.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Except that it doesn't. There are many posts in each of the forums...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I like things the way they are ....
    ""Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington "

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

But there's very little distinction between the two political ones. It's basically balanced because everyone randomly decides which of the two to post their political threads in. It's pointless to have two forums which are practically the same.

Economs, social, and foreign are well divided, and Rob will hopefully no longer post the information about his latest ingrown toenail in them either. Lumping a 'general' in there, however, would simply mean that everyone will put all of their economic, social, and foreign news in the general forum - I've seen it happen to many sites.

I don't honestly see much point for the games forum...

Then again, I don't even believe I've ever looked in there.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

With it like it is now, it's basically like having a "politics" forum, and a "politics" forum. It's redundant to a numbing degree.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What games forum?
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Anyway, in the future if it gets to a level where there is serious confusion I'll change things. Getting "confused" between two choices that are well-used? Come on... you can do better than that there H2O.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sports, hobbies, and pictures...

it's also the smallest forum. I think it should just be merged with "anything goes".

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    Sports, hobbies, and pictures...

it's also the smallest forum. I think it should just be merged with "anything goes".
    I'm sure you do. But it was requested... If you don't care then don't go.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle