Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, USFREEDOM911, PostmodernProphet, canceled.2021.1, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, canceled.2021.3 and Seahawk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I Told My White Friend When He Asked For My Black Opinion On White Privilege

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,184 Times in 25,719 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Default What I Told My White Friend When He Asked For My Black Opinion On White Privilege

1. When I was 3, my family moved into an upper-middle class, all-white neighborhood to be closer to my Dad’s new job. We had a big backyard, so my parents built a pool. Not the only pool on the block, but the only one neighborhood boys started throwing rocks into. White boys... the white privilege in this situation is being able to move into a “nice” neighborhood and be accepted not harassed, made to feel unwelcome, or prone to acts of vandalism and hostility.

When my older sister was 5, a white boy named Mark called her a “nigger” after she beat him in a race at school. She didn’t know what it meant but in her gut, she knew it was bad.
    ...the point here is if you’ve NEVER had a defining moment in your childhood or your life where you realize your skin color alone makes other people hate you, you have white privilege.

3. Sophomore year of high school. I had Mr. Melrose for Algebra 2. Some time within the first few weeks of class, he points out that I’m “the only spook” in the class. This was meant to be funny.
    The point here is, if you’ve never been “the only one” of your race in a class, at a party, on a job, etc. and/or it’s been pointed out in a “playful” fashion by the authority figure in said situation, you have white privilege.

4. When we started getting our college acceptances senior year, I remember some white male classmates pissed that another black classmate had gotten into UCLA while they didn’t. They said that affirmative action had given him “their spot” and it wasn’t fair. An actual friend of theirs. Who’d worked his ass off.
    The point here is, if you’ve never been on the receiving end of the assumption that when you’ve achieved something it’s only because it was taken away from a white person who “deserved it,” that is white privilege.

5. When I got accepted to Harvard (as a fellow AP student you were witness to what an academic beast I was in high school, yes?), three separate times I encountered white strangers as I prepped for my maiden trip to Cambridge that rankle to this day.... The point here is, if no one has ever questioned your intellectual capabilities or attendance at an elite institution based solely on your skin color, that is white privilege.

In my freshman college tutorial, our small group of 4-5 was assigned to read Thoreau, Emerson, Malcolm X, Joseph Conrad, Dreiser, etc. When it was the week to discuss The Autobiography of Malcolm X, one white boy boldly claimed he couldn’t even get through it because he couldn’t relate and didn’t think he should be forced to read it... The point here is, the canon of literature studied in the United States, as well as the majority of television and movies, have focused primarily on the works or achievements of white men. So if you have never experienced or considered how damaging it is/was/could be to grow up without myriad role models and images in school that reflect you in your required reading material or in the mainstream media, that is white privilege.

7. All seniors at Harvard are invited to a fancy, seated group lunch with our respective dorm Masters... While we were being served by the Dunster House cafeteria staff ― the black ladies from Haiti and Boston that ran the line daily; I still remember Jackie’s kindness and warmth to this day ― Master Sally mused out loud how proud they must be to be serving the nation’s best and brightest. I don’t know if they heard her, but I did and it made me uncomfortable and sick. The point here is, if you’ve never been blindsided when you are just trying to enjoy a meal by a well-paid faculty member’s patronizing and racist assumptions about how grateful black people must feel to be in their presence, you have white privilege.

8. While writing on a television show in my 30s, my new white male boss ― who had only known me for a few days ― had unbeknownst to me told another writer on staff he thought I was conceited, didn’t know as much I thought I did, and didn’t have the talent I thought I had. And what exactly had happened in those few days? I disagreed with a pitch where he suggested our lead female character carelessly leave a pot holder on the stove and burn down her apartment. This character being a professional caterer. ... the point here is, if you’ve never been on the receiving end of a boss’s prejudiced, uninformed “how dare she question my ideas” badmouthing based on solely on his ego and your race, you have white privilege.

9. On my very first date with my now husband, I climbed into his car and saw baby wipes on the passenger side floor. He said he didn’t have kids, they were just there to clean up messes in the car. I twisted to secure my seatbelt and saw a stuffed animal in the rear window. I gave him a look. He said “I promise, I don’t have kids. That’s only there so I don’t get stopped by the police.”
    He then told me that when he drove home from work late at night, he was getting stopped by cops constantly because he was a black man in a luxury car, and they assumed it was either stolen or he was a drug dealer. When he told a cop friend about this, he told Warren to put a stuffed animal in the rear window because it would change “his profile” to that of a family man and he was much less likely to be stopped.

The point here is, if you’ve never had to mask the fruits of your success with a floppy-eared, stuffed bunny rabbit so you won’t get harassed by the cops on the way home from your gainful employment (or never had a first date start this way), you have white privilege.

10. Six years ago, I started a Facebook page that has grown into a website called Good Black News because I was shocked to find there were no sites dedicated solely to publishing the positive things black people do. And let me explain here how biased the coverage of mainstream media is in case you don’t already have a clue ― as I curate, I can’t tell you how often I have to swap out a story’s photo to make it as positive as the content. Photos published of black folks in mainstream media are very often sullen or angry-looking. Even when it’s a positive story!

I also have to constantly alter headlines to 1) include a person’s name and not have it just be “Black Man Wins Settlement” or “Carnegie Hall Gets 1st Black Board Member” or 2) rephrase it from a subtle subjugator like “ABC taps Viola Davis as Series Lead” to “Viola Davis Lands Lead on ABC Show” as is done for say, Jennifer Aniston or Steven Spielberg.

I also receive a fair amount of highly offensive racist trolling. I don’t even respond. I block and delete ASAP. The point here is, not having to rewrite stories, headlines or swap photos while being trolled by racists when all you’re trying to do on a daily basis is promote positivity and share stories of hope and achievement and justice, that is white privilege.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0b107a2415b89

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

iolo (07-19-2016), Leonthecat (07-18-2016), mogur (07-18-2016)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,142 Times in 33,847 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    1. When I was 3, my family moved into an upper-middle class, all-white neighborhood to be closer to my Dad’s new job. We had a big backyard, so my parents built a pool. Not the only pool on the block, but the only one neighborhood boys started throwing rocks into. White boys... the white privilege in this situation is being able to move into a “nice” neighborhood and be accepted not harassed, made to feel unwelcome, or prone to acts of vandalism and hostility.

When my older sister was 5, a white boy named Mark called her a “nigger” after she beat him in a race at school. She didn’t know what it meant but in her gut, she knew it was bad.
    ...the point here is if you’ve NEVER had a defining moment in your childhood or your life where you realize your skin color alone makes other people hate you, you have white privilege.

3. Sophomore year of high school. I had Mr. Melrose for Algebra 2. Some time within the first few weeks of class, he points out that I’m “the only spook” in the class. This was meant to be funny.
    The point here is, if you’ve never been “the only one” of your race in a class, at a party, on a job, etc. and/or it’s been pointed out in a “playful” fashion by the authority figure in said situation, you have white privilege.

4. When we started getting our college acceptances senior year, I remember some white male classmates pissed that another black classmate had gotten into UCLA while they didn’t. They said that affirmative action had given him “their spot” and it wasn’t fair. An actual friend of theirs. Who’d worked his ass off.
    The point here is, if you’ve never been on the receiving end of the assumption that when you’ve achieved something it’s only because it was taken away from a white person who “deserved it,” that is white privilege.

5. When I got accepted to Harvard (as a fellow AP student you were witness to what an academic beast I was in high school, yes?), three separate times I encountered white strangers as I prepped for my maiden trip to Cambridge that rankle to this day.... The point here is, if no one has ever questioned your intellectual capabilities or attendance at an elite institution based solely on your skin color, that is white privilege.

In my freshman college tutorial, our small group of 4-5 was assigned to read Thoreau, Emerson, Malcolm X, Joseph Conrad, Dreiser, etc. When it was the week to discuss The Autobiography of Malcolm X, one white boy boldly claimed he couldn’t even get through it because he couldn’t relate and didn’t think he should be forced to read it... The point here is, the canon of literature studied in the United States, as well as the majority of television and movies, have focused primarily on the works or achievements of white men. So if you have never experienced or considered how damaging it is/was/could be to grow up without myriad role models and images in school that reflect you in your required reading material or in the mainstream media, that is white privilege.

7. All seniors at Harvard are invited to a fancy, seated group lunch with our respective dorm Masters... While we were being served by the Dunster House cafeteria staff ― the black ladies from Haiti and Boston that ran the line daily; I still remember Jackie’s kindness and warmth to this day ― Master Sally mused out loud how proud they must be to be serving the nation’s best and brightest. I don’t know if they heard her, but I did and it made me uncomfortable and sick. The point here is, if you’ve never been blindsided when you are just trying to enjoy a meal by a well-paid faculty member’s patronizing and racist assumptions about how grateful black people must feel to be in their presence, you have white privilege.

8. While writing on a television show in my 30s, my new white male boss ― who had only known me for a few days ― had unbeknownst to me told another writer on staff he thought I was conceited, didn’t know as much I thought I did, and didn’t have the talent I thought I had. And what exactly had happened in those few days? I disagreed with a pitch where he suggested our lead female character carelessly leave a pot holder on the stove and burn down her apartment. This character being a professional caterer. ... the point here is, if you’ve never been on the receiving end of a boss’s prejudiced, uninformed “how dare she question my ideas” badmouthing based on solely on his ego and your race, you have white privilege.

9. On my very first date with my now husband, I climbed into his car and saw baby wipes on the passenger side floor. He said he didn’t have kids, they were just there to clean up messes in the car. I twisted to secure my seatbelt and saw a stuffed animal in the rear window. I gave him a look. He said “I promise, I don’t have kids. That’s only there so I don’t get stopped by the police.”
    He then told me that when he drove home from work late at night, he was getting stopped by cops constantly because he was a black man in a luxury car, and they assumed it was either stolen or he was a drug dealer. When he told a cop friend about this, he told Warren to put a stuffed animal in the rear window because it would change “his profile” to that of a family man and he was much less likely to be stopped.

The point here is, if you’ve never had to mask the fruits of your success with a floppy-eared, stuffed bunny rabbit so you won’t get harassed by the cops on the way home from your gainful employment (or never had a first date start this way), you have white privilege.

10. Six years ago, I started a Facebook page that has grown into a website called Good Black News because I was shocked to find there were no sites dedicated solely to publishing the positive things black people do. And let me explain here how biased the coverage of mainstream media is in case you don’t already have a clue ― as I curate, I can’t tell you how often I have to swap out a story’s photo to make it as positive as the content. Photos published of black folks in mainstream media are very often sullen or angry-looking. Even when it’s a positive story!

I also have to constantly alter headlines to 1) include a person’s name and not have it just be “Black Man Wins Settlement” or “Carnegie Hall Gets 1st Black Board Member” or 2) rephrase it from a subtle subjugator like “ABC taps Viola Davis as Series Lead” to “Viola Davis Lands Lead on ABC Show” as is done for say, Jennifer Aniston or Steven Spielberg.

I also receive a fair amount of highly offensive racist trolling. I don’t even respond. I block and delete ASAP. The point here is, not having to rewrite stories, headlines or swap photos while being trolled by racists when all you’re trying to do on a daily basis is promote positivity and share stories of hope and achievement and justice, that is white privilege.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0b107a2415b89
    These testimonies always make me sad and embarrassed for the stupid people who see a persons skin and treat them differently because of it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Leonthecat (07-18-2016), mogur (07-18-2016)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    These testimonies always make me sad and embarrassed for the stupid people who see a persons skin and treat them differently because of it.
    I know. Imagine having to live like this, to have these incidents as part of your daily life. IMO it's a miracle more people don't freak out.

― Charles Dickens

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Leonthecat (07-18-2016), mogur (07-18-2016)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 648 Times in 283 Posts

Who knew that Christiekins is black?

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion Troll View Post

I did.

Last edited by Leonthecat; 07-18-2016 at 06:17 PM.
    We have the intellect to imagine the finality of our own demise but do not have the sophistication to overcome our survival instinct and accept it.
    Solution? Magical thinking and childish promises of everlasting life.
    Ergo, religion.

rac·ist
    rāsəst/noun
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    Ask yourself honestly if this describes what you believe to be true.
    If the answer is yes, you are a racist.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Lol. I mean, "we are not amused, blackguard."

― Charles Dickens

10. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Leonthecat (07-18-2016)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Don't cry, it was only a joke.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    Lol. I mean, "we are not amused, blackguard."

Trollop and Leon Twatsky are ocean going arseholes, as to their colour they could be green with pink spots but would still be arseholes. You ate one of the good people don't feed the trolls!

Sent from my LENOVO Lenovo K50-t5 Using Ez Forum for Android

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milagro View Post
    Trollop and Leon Twatsky are ocean going arseholes, as to their colour they could be green with pink spots but would still be arseholes. You are one of the good people don't feed the trolls!

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trollop and Leon Twatsky are ocean going arseholes, as to their colour they could be green with pink spots but would still be arseholes. You ate one of the good people don't feed the trolls!

Too bad I didn't make a bet when I sent that PM. This is a start anyway. Direct your rage where it's really meant and keep your vile fucking filthy aspberger posts away from me. You have been on a fucking month long tourettes episode mostly directed at me. Don't think I didn't know. I knew. I laughed.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

iolo (07-19-2016)

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 21 Times in 20 Posts

This must be the ultimate example of white privilege . . .

That a simply because you are a leftist, a white devil has the moral authority to hold up "white privilege" and affronts to a POC's dignity simply to make a political argument.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Trollop and Leon Twatsky are ocean going arseholes, as to their colour they could be green with pink spots but would still be arseholes. You ate one of the good people don't feed the trolls! Sent from my LENOVO Lenovo K50-t5 Using Ez Forum for Android

Whoa! Christiekins ate one of the good people? Which one?

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Don't cry, it was only a joke.

Cry? I burst out laughing. That picture is hilarious!

― Charles Dickens

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Too bad I didn't make a bet when I sent that PM. This is a start anyway. Direct your rage where it's really meant and keep your vile fucking filthy aspberger posts away from me. You have been on a fucking month long tourettes episode mostly directed at me. Don't think I didn't know. I knew. I laughed.
    What is an asp berger? Is that the McDonald's Cleopatra special? So what are you going to do, set Prakosh on me again?

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 37 Times in 35 Posts

I'm sorry this happened to you CF. I remember the faces when I entered a boutique in some very affluent neighborhood, wearing my comfy clothes, or the day we went looking to buy land in rural AR.