Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emails Weighing on Hillary Clinton, Now Tied With Donald Trump

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Default Emails Weighing on Hillary Clinton, Now Tied With Donald Trump

Hillary Clinton has emerged from the F.B.I. investigation into her email practices as secretary of state a wounded candidate with a large and growing majority of voters saying she cannot be trusted, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

As Mrs. Clinton prepares to accept the Democratic Party’s nomination at the convention in Philadelphia this month, she will confront an electorate in which 67 percent of voters say she is not honest and trustworthy. That number is up five percentage points from a CBS News poll conducted last month, before the F.B.I. released its findings.

Mrs. Clinton’s six-percentage-point lead over the presumptive Republican nominee, Donald J. Trump, in a CBS News poll last month has evaporated. The two candidates are now tied in a general election matchup, the new poll indicates, with each receiving the support of 40 percent of voters.

Mr. Trump is also distrusted by a large number of voters — 62 percent — but that number has stayed constant despite increased scrutiny on his business record and falsehoods in his public statements and Twitter messages.

But Mrs. Clinton’s shifting and inaccurate explanations of her email practices at the State Department appear to have resonated more deeply with the electorate.

Last week, the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, recommended no criminal charges be filed against Mrs. Clinton over her handling of classified information on a private email server, but he called her actions “extremely careless.” The investigation undercut many of Mrs. Clinton’s statements over the past 18 months to explain and defend her decision to rely on the private server at her home in Chappaqua, N.Y.

Mrs. Clinton and her campaign celebrated the Justice Department’s decision not to indict her as a legal victory, but the political fallout appears significant, at least for now. She and her aides have vowed to win back the public’s trust, while acknowledging that this will be tough.

Voters still view Mrs. Clinton as vastly more prepared for the job — with 50 percent saying she is prepared, compared with the 30 percent who say the same about Mr. Trump. Voters’ views of Mrs. Clinton’s preparedness have also declined, by nine percentage points since last month.

As the candidates head to their respective party conventions, they will confront voters who range from disappointed to disgruntled about their choices.

Just 28 percent of voters said they had a positive view of Mrs. Clinton, compared with 33 percent last month. Asked if her email practices were illegal, 46 percent of voters said yes, compared with 23 percent who said using a private server was improper but not illegal. Twenty-four percent said she did nothing wrong.

Mr. Trump has slightly improved his standing, with 30 percent of voters saying they have a positive view of him. Last month, 26 percent said the same.

As attack ads and verbal charges intensify on both sides, voters already appear fatigued. More than six in 10 say they were not looking forward to the next few months of the campaign; 46 percent said they were unenthusiastic about the 2016 presidential election.

The grim view of the political climate comes as Americans experience heightened anxieties connected to their economic prospects, the threat of terrorism and race relations.

The killings of black men by white police officers and attacks on the police have left 62 percent of voters saying race relations are growing worse. Mrs. Clinton is seen as far more capable of dealing with racial tensions than Mr. Trump — 60 percent of voters said Mrs. Clinton would be better at handling the issue, double the number who said the same of Mr. Trump.

Mrs. Clinton has largely based her campaign on lifting the economic fortunes of a middle class that has felt squeezed after nearly 15 years of stagnant wages, a message that should fit with the current climate. Yet voters increasingly view Mrs. Clinton as less able to fulfill that economic promise. Last month, those polled were evenly split on whether Mrs. Clinton or Mr. Trump would do a better job handling the economy and jobs. Now, 52 percent said Mr. Trump would be better, compared with 41 percent for Mrs. Clinton.

After the deadly attack on a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., by a gunman who expressed sympathy for the Islamic State, voters are evenly divided on which candidate would do a better job of handling terrorism and national security, an issue on which Mrs. Clinton held a seven-percentage-point advantage last month.

The lens through which voters view the candidates is sharply divided along gender and racial lines, with Mr. Trump having a double-digit lead among men and white voters without college degrees and Mrs. Clinton maintaining her double-digit edge among women and nonwhites.

With intense news media attention surrounding the candidates’ selection of running mates, many voters across party lines shrugged off the decision, with three in 10 saying a vice-presidential candidate would have no effect on their vote.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/us...T.nav=top-news

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

there are the well known fault lines along gender and education.I suppose the usual urban/rural divide is there too -but it doesn't say.
    With both very high negatives -anyone that can show anything positive would be attractive.

Note: Clinton spent $43million since she started running ads - I get them all the time here in Florida.
    It looks like they really don't matter.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Hmmmmm...have you checked the RCP polls overall?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    that's a rolling average is it not? These are latest polls

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    that's a rolling average is it not? These are latest polls
    The OP cites one poll.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

Leonthecat (07-14-2016)

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 234 Times in 225 Posts

Hillary lover

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The OP cites one poll.
    my bad on "polls" -but I think Quinnipiac shows much the same -i'd have to look

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Islam Sucks View Post
    Hillary lover
    Aw - did the Trump comments get under your skin?

I don't have to ask. Never mind.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

Leonthecat (07-14-2016), Phantasmal (07-14-2016)

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

my bad on "polls" -but I think Quinnipiac shows much the same -i'd have to look
    Some polls are tight, but some show a big gap.

I think Trump's issue is that he has a hard time breaking 40% in almost any poll.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

yes......her advantage has dropped from a +6.8 high on June 27 to the current +3.5....
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...nton-5491.html

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I had a guy out here yesterday doing some repair work to my baseboards that termites ate up,
    We got to talking -he is a religious married white guy - an old Blue Dog Democrat, maybe in his late 40's

And he told me he really dislikes Trump -Trump wasn't respectful and his big mouth ( etc. yada yada)..
    Long story short he was not going to vote for Hilary -the Emails put a fresh dose of dishonesty in him towards her.
    He kept saying "I don't know -but I am not voting for her, and I really hate him"

So I think the Emails gave some fresh room to move away from Clinton , for those who would normally vote Dem ( BlueDogs)

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Aw - did the Trump comments get under your skin?

I don't have to ask. Never mind.
    Do you really think you get under my skin? Is that your goal in life? Well if it keeps you off the streets

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Islam Sucks View Post
    Do you really think you get under my skin? Is that your goal in life? Well if it keeps you off the streets
    It's quite a stretch from noticing that you were annoyed, to it being "my goal in life."

You're really prone to some wild hyperbole.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

Leonthecat (07-14-2016)

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I had a guy out here yesterday doing some repair work to my baseboards that termites ate up,
    We got to talking -he is a religious married white guy - an old Blue Dog Democrat, maybe in his late 40's

And he told me he really dislikes Trump -Trump wasn't respectful and his big mouth ( etc. yada yada)..
    Long story short he was not going to vote for Hilary -the Emails put a fresh dose of dishonesty in him towards her.
    He kept saying "I don't know -but I am not voting for her, and I really hate him"

So I think the Emails gave some fresh room to move away from Clinton , for those who would normally vote Dem ( BlueDogs)
    Agreed. If the GOP nominee were anyone but Trump, even Cruz she would be getting crushed.

My guess is that each side is hoping for depressed turnout of the other.

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

"Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34