Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faith Kills

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Faith Kills

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. — A few hours after a Mount Vernon judge ruled that a 14-year-old Jehovah's Witness sick with leukemia had the right to refuse a blood transfusion, even though that refusal might kill him, the boy died in a Seattle hospital.

Doctors diagnosed the boy with leukemia in early November and began treating him with chemotherapy at Children's Hospital, but stopped a week ago because his blood count was too low, the Skagit Valley Herald reported. The boy refused the transfusion on religious grounds.

However, his birth parents, Lindberg Sr. and Rachel Wherry, who do not have custody and flew from Boise, Idaho, to be at the hearing, believed their son should have had the transfusion and suggested he had been unduly influenced by his legal guardian, his aunt Dianna Mincin, who is also a Jehovah's Witness.

With the transfusions and other treatment, the boy had been give a 70 percent chance of surviving the next five years, the judge said in court, based on what the boy's doctors told him.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,313683,00.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Yep, you find misguided faith in a lot of areas, including religion. I have a friend (46 yrs old) who died last summer as the result of not accepting blood during heart surgery. As a result he developed an infection that the doctors said he wouldn't likely have developed if he had accepted the blood. He was a Jehovah's Witness. Things like this are sad but they happen.

I find it no different than when judges put children back in the homes of parents who are drug abusers or other offenders and the children subsequently wind up hurt or dead. I know some have disdain for religion in general but using the JW's to dis Faith is not a good way to go when it comes to "fundies" like myself.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Faith in Bush has caused perhaps 1 million deaths overall and many maimed.....
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

oh; i thought your were speaking of Faith Hill.....

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why would his parents leave him with that wackjob when they knew he was sick. Dumb@$$es. They all deserve every bit of guilt they will have for the rest of their lives.
    "Fuck you niggers" July 11, 2009 Tinfoil explaining how conservatives are unfairly labeled as racists.

"You deserve to be beheaded and for your head to placed on a pike, in the middle of the park, where children can see what happens to those that act the way you do." August 5, 2009 USFreedom911's response to a left leaning opinion.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,910 Times in 21,670 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just think of all the harm forcing homosexuality and birth control into the closet has caused.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Rob you must like Obama. Hes parents were atheists.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Atheists ? Hmm might have to look closer at Obama.
    Proving tax cuts work!

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Faith carried to far is a very dangerous thing... Look at what Bush has done out of faith! When you refuse to look at scientific evidence but invade a soverin nation out of faith... you get Iraq!

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And when you vote for someone out of faith we get Bush. A vicious circle.

George Bush: Creating the Terrorists Our Kids Will Have to Fight
    Proving tax cuts work!

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    And when you vote for someone out of faith we get Bush. A vicious circle.

George Bush: Creating the Terrorists Our Kids Will Have to Fight
    Vote emotion or faith = Republican.

Vote based on reality and fact = Liberal.

LOCK HIM UP!

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A theme of Obama's keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, and the title of his 2006 book, The Audacity of Hope, was inspired by his pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright.[140] In Chapter 6 of the book, titled "Faith," Obama writes that he "was not raised in a religious household." He describes his mother, raised by non-religious parents, as detached from religion, yet "in many ways the most spiritually awakened person that I have ever known." He describes his Kenyan father as "raised a Muslim," but a "confirmed atheist" by the time his parents met, and his Indonesian step-father as "a man who saw religion as not particularly useful." The chapter details how Obama, in his twenties, while working with local churches as a community organizer, came to understand "the power of the African American religious tradition to spur social change." Obama writes: "It was because of these newfound understandings—that religious commitment did not require me to suspend critical thinking, disengage from the battle for economic and social justice, or otherwise retreat from the world that I knew and loved—that I was finally able to walk down the aisle of Trinity United Church of Christ one day and be baptized."[141]
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ohh I suppose Atheists are more acceptable to bible thumping America than Muslims....
    Proving tax cuts work!

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chapdog View Post
    A theme of Obama's keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, and the title of his 2006 book, The Audacity of Hope, was inspired by his pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright.[140] In Chapter 6 of the book, titled "Faith," Obama writes that he "was not raised in a religious household." He describes his mother, raised by non-religious parents, as detached from religion, yet "in many ways the most spiritually awakened person that I have ever known." He describes his Kenyan father as "raised a Muslim," but a "confirmed atheist" by the time his parents met, and his Indonesian step-father as "a man who saw religion as not particularly useful." The chapter details how Obama, in his twenties, while working with local churches as a community organizer, came to understand "the power of the African American religious tradition to spur social change." Obama writes: "It was because of these newfound understandings—that religious commitment did not require me to suspend critical thinking, disengage from the battle for economic and social justice, or otherwise retreat from the world that I knew and loved—that I was finally able to walk down the aisle of Trinity United Church of Christ one day and be baptized."[141]

Exactly how I view religen and clearly NOT how Bush and many Republicans view it!

LOCK HIM UP!

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Just think of all the harm forcing homosexuality and birth control into the closet has caused.
    Would you prefer gay men to have sex in your closet without protection?