Thread: Cameron Goes To Brussels

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Cameron Goes To Brussels

I wonder if some deal is going to be worked out behind the scenes to ixnay this whole thing.

Some EU politicians are hedging their bets on Brexit, or at least taking care with language. An EU diplomat said Brexit would be “an amputation”, adding, “if it materialises”.

I've seen a lot of things like that from different officials. Now that Murdoch has threatened blood in the streets if they don't stop immigration (and this was all about immigration don't let anyone fool you), they will have to come up with something to keep the thugs feeling like they "won" something. Whatever it is, it would effectively be meaningless, but the hooligans must be allowed to save face or they will spill blood. I mean, they did murder Jo Cox, and I take Murdoch at his word.

This would be the best outcome IMO and I hope it's what happens, but we'll see. Once passions get inflamed, and you add in a bumbling buffoon like BoHo, and an outright Facist drunk like Farage, among other unsavory characters (Murdoch), you just don't know if they can be stopped from spiraling out of control.

"David Cameron warned Europe’s leaders that they will have to offer the UK more control over immigration at the end of a fractious day where politicians across Europe clashed over the meaning and consequences of last week’s Brexit vote.

The British prime minster used his last Brussels summit to tell Angela Merkel, François Hollande and other European heads of government that anxieties about unrestricted freedom of movement were at the heart of the decision by Britons to reject the EU.

Earlier in the day, however, many MEPs had turned their backs on Nigel Farage and jeered as the Ukip leader celebrated the result, although he drew the support of the far-right French deputy Marine Le Pen, who told the European parliament: “Look at how beautiful history is!”

Speaking ahead of the summit dinner, a Number 10 source said that Cameron would talk about what led to the unexpected result over a dinner of poached veal tenderloin and strawberries: “In particular, he will say that in his view, it’s in the interests of the UK, and the EU, that we have as close an economic relationship as possible; and the key to staying close is to look at reform to free movement, and how do you address that issue”.

Cameron’s remarks came hours after an acrimonious debate in the European parliament discussing the referendum result. Farage was angrily confronted by European commission president Jean-Claude Juncker. “I’m really surprised you are here. You are fighting for the exit. The British people voted in favour of the exit. Why are you here?” Juncker said, in front of a packed session of MEPs in the European parliament.

Farage told parliament that they were “in denial”. He said hardly any of the MEPs had ever done a proper job in their lives, or created one. “We now offer a beacon of hope to democrats across the European continent,” he said. “The UK will not be the last member state to leave the EU.” He added: “You’re not laughing now, are you?”

Angela Merkel and other European leaders, meeting for the first EU summit since last Friday’s result, ruled out any special favours for Britain yesterday, insisting there would be no “cherry-picking exercise” in the exit negotiations. In a speech to the Bundestag ahead of the summit on Tuesday, the German chancellor said: “There must be, and there will be, a palpable difference between those countries who want to be members of the European family and those who don’t.”

These words have been echoed by other EU leaders including Italy’s prime minister, Matteo Renzi. Xavier Bettel, prime minister of Luxembourg, added that the UK could not have a Facebook-style “it’s complicated” status with the rest of the EU: Britain could have “marriage or divorce, but not something in between”.

EU leaders also insist there will be no informal talks on a future trade settlement until the UK triggers article 50, which begins the exit process.

Juncker also urged Britain’s politicians to open up exit negotiations as soon as possible. “I would like our British friends to tell us what they want so we can get on with it,” he told a packed session of MEPs in the European parliament in Brussels.

At his final summit, the prime minister had to take part in long-planned discussions on migration, European security and the single market. Sticking to the timetable is intended to show the EU is still in business, despite the Brexit crisis that has raised fears of the union’s disintegration.

Cameron has repeatedly insisted since announcing his departure last Friday that detailed questions about what deal Britain may want with the rest of the EU are for his successor to answer.

But as he arrived in Brussels, he made clear he hoped to smooth the path for Brexit talks. “I hope the outcome can be as constructive as possible, because of course while we’re leaving the European Union, we mustn’t be turning our backs on Europe.

“These countries are our neighbours, our friends, our allies, our partners and I very much hope we’ll seek the closest possible relationship in terms of trade and cooperation and security, because that is good for us and that is good for them,” he said.

Number 10 sources said Merkel has been understanding about Cameron’s decision not to invoke article 50 – the formal process for withdrawal from the EU – immediately. “I think what you’ve seen from Chancellor Merkel in the days since the referendum is her being one of the voices across Europe recognising the decisions that the prime minister has taken and that there will now be some time, and that was certainly her tone today, and that of other leaders.”

EU leaders are resigned to the fact Britain will not trigger article 50 immediately, because of the political and constitutional crises engulfing the country. But the pressure is likely to be raised once a new prime minister is in place.

Some EU politicians are hedging their bets on Brexit, or at least taking care with language. An EU diplomat said Brexit would be “an amputation”, adding, “if it materialises”.

Asked what would happen if the UK never triggered article 50, the Lithuanian president, Dalia Grybauskaitė, said: “welcome, welcome back”. Although she also said “mentally and psychologically, Brexit” was already happening.

Some EU diplomats think it was a mistake for European council president Donald Tusk to set up a group known as the Brexit taskforce. They stress the UK has not triggered article 50 divorce proceedings and remains a member of the club.

Cameron had hoped to be travelling to Brussels this week to reassure his fellow leaders that a remain vote in the referendum had settled the issue of Britain’s relationship with the EU for a generation.

Instead, the 27 other member states, who will have to agree what status to offer Britain when formal exit talks begin, will meet on Wednesday to discuss the way forward without him.

Donald Tusk, the president of the European council, promised to convene a special summit of EU leaders in Bratislava in September, in an attempt to chart a course for the 27 remaining member states. The UK will not be invited, underlining its newly diminished status.

Reactions in Brussels to Britain’s vote for Brexit ranged from sadness to alarm, but officials insisted the show would go on. Some junior staff said they cried on hearing the results on Friday morning. Juncker said he was sad because he was not “a robot, a grey bureaucrat or a technocrat”.

Senior EU diplomats are also perplexed about how the prime minister managed to turn what they saw as a very generous deal – negotiated in February – into a catastrophic defeat that has plunged Britain into crisis. EU insiders thought the UK had got an exceptional offer, and were left bitter and disappointed when Cameron didn’t use it in the referendum campaign.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ol-immigration
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-28-2016)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,763 Times in 33,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    I wonder if some deal is going to be worked out behind the scenes to ixnay this whole thing.

I've seen a lot of things like that from different officials. Now that Murdoch has threatened blood in the streets if they don't stop immigration (and this was all about immigration don't let anyone fool you), they will have to come up with something to keep the thugs feeling like they "won" something. Whatever it is, it would effectively be meaningless, but the hooligans must be allowed to save face or they will spill blood. I mean, they did murder Jo Cox, and I take Murdoch at his word.

This would be the best outcome IMO and I hope it's what happens, but we'll see. Once passions get inflamed, and you add in a bumbling buffoon like BoHo, and an outright Facist drunk like Farage, among other unsavory characters (Murdoch), you just don't know if they can be stopped from spiraling out of control.

"David Cameron warned Europe’s leaders that they will have to offer the UK more control over immigration at the end of a fractious day where politicians across Europe clashed over the meaning and consequences of last week’s Brexit vote.

The British prime minster used his last Brussels summit to tell Angela Merkel, François Hollande and other European heads of government that anxieties about unrestricted freedom of movement were at the heart of the decision by Britons to reject the EU.

Earlier in the day, however, many MEPs had turned their backs on Nigel Farage and jeered as the Ukip leader celebrated the result, although he drew the support of the far-right French deputy Marine Le Pen, who told the European parliament: “Look at how beautiful history is!”

Speaking ahead of the summit dinner, a Number 10 source said that Cameron would talk about what led to the unexpected result over a dinner of poached veal tenderloin and strawberries: “In particular, he will say that in his view, it’s in the interests of the UK, and the EU, that we have as close an economic relationship as possible; and the key to staying close is to look at reform to free movement, and how do you address that issue”.

Cameron’s remarks came hours after an acrimonious debate in the European parliament discussing the referendum result. Farage was angrily confronted by European commission president Jean-Claude Juncker. “I’m really surprised you are here. You are fighting for the exit. The British people voted in favour of the exit. Why are you here?” Juncker said, in front of a packed session of MEPs in the European parliament.

Farage told parliament that they were “in denial”. He said hardly any of the MEPs had ever done a proper job in their lives, or created one. “We now offer a beacon of hope to democrats across the European continent,” he said. “The UK will not be the last member state to leave the EU.” He added: “You’re not laughing now, are you?”

Angela Merkel and other European leaders, meeting for the first EU summit since last Friday’s result, ruled out any special favours for Britain yesterday, insisting there would be no “cherry-picking exercise” in the exit negotiations. In a speech to the Bundestag ahead of the summit on Tuesday, the German chancellor said: “There must be, and there will be, a palpable difference between those countries who want to be members of the European family and those who don’t.”

These words have been echoed by other EU leaders including Italy’s prime minister, Matteo Renzi. Xavier Bettel, prime minister of Luxembourg, added that the UK could not have a Facebook-style “it’s complicated” status with the rest of the EU: Britain could have “marriage or divorce, but not something in between”.

EU leaders also insist there will be no informal talks on a future trade settlement until the UK triggers article 50, which begins the exit process.

Juncker also urged Britain’s politicians to open up exit negotiations as soon as possible. “I would like our British friends to tell us what they want so we can get on with it,” he told a packed session of MEPs in the European parliament in Brussels.

At his final summit, the prime minister had to take part in long-planned discussions on migration, European security and the single market. Sticking to the timetable is intended to show the EU is still in business, despite the Brexit crisis that has raised fears of the union’s disintegration.

Cameron has repeatedly insisted since announcing his departure last Friday that detailed questions about what deal Britain may want with the rest of the EU are for his successor to answer.

But as he arrived in Brussels, he made clear he hoped to smooth the path for Brexit talks. “I hope the outcome can be as constructive as possible, because of course while we’re leaving the European Union, we mustn’t be turning our backs on Europe.

“These countries are our neighbours, our friends, our allies, our partners and I very much hope we’ll seek the closest possible relationship in terms of trade and cooperation and security, because that is good for us and that is good for them,” he said.

Number 10 sources said Merkel has been understanding about Cameron’s decision not to invoke article 50 – the formal process for withdrawal from the EU – immediately. “I think what you’ve seen from Chancellor Merkel in the days since the referendum is her being one of the voices across Europe recognising the decisions that the prime minister has taken and that there will now be some time, and that was certainly her tone today, and that of other leaders.”

EU leaders are resigned to the fact Britain will not trigger article 50 immediately, because of the political and constitutional crises engulfing the country. But the pressure is likely to be raised once a new prime minister is in place.

Asked what would happen if the UK never triggered article 50, the Lithuanian president, Dalia Grybauskaitė, said: “welcome, welcome back”. Although she also said “mentally and psychologically, Brexit” was already happening.

Some EU diplomats think it was a mistake for European council president Donald Tusk to set up a group known as the Brexit taskforce. They stress the UK has not triggered article 50 divorce proceedings and remains a member of the club.

Cameron had hoped to be travelling to Brussels this week to reassure his fellow leaders that a remain vote in the referendum had settled the issue of Britain’s relationship with the EU for a generation.

Instead, the 27 other member states, who will have to agree what status to offer Britain when formal exit talks begin, will meet on Wednesday to discuss the way forward without him.

Donald Tusk, the president of the European council, promised to convene a special summit of EU leaders in Bratislava in September, in an attempt to chart a course for the 27 remaining member states. The UK will not be invited, underlining its newly diminished status.

Reactions in Brussels to Britain’s vote for Brexit ranged from sadness to alarm, but officials insisted the show would go on. Some junior staff said they cried on hearing the results on Friday morning. Juncker said he was sad because he was not “a robot, a grey bureaucrat or a technocrat”.

Senior EU diplomats are also perplexed about how the prime minister managed to turn what they saw as a very generous deal – negotiated in February – into a catastrophic defeat that has plunged Britain into crisis. EU insiders thought the UK had got an exceptional offer, and were left bitter and disappointed when Cameron didn’t use it in the referendum campaign.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ol-immigration
    Wow, Cameron is a bigger fool then I ever realized.

It seems madness not to trigger Article 50 now, take the full brunt of the economic results of it and plow forward, rather than waiting and triggering this mess all over, again, but I am not a politician and don't understand their logic.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post

It seems madness not to trigger Article 50 now, take the full brunt of the economic results of it and plow forward, rather than waiting and triggering this mess all over, again, but I am not a politician and don't understand their logic.
    There's a lot of speculation that it's his last "Fuck you" to Boris Johnson and the Leavers. He is certain, as most with a brain are, that within a very short time you won't be able to find a citizen of the UK who will admit to voting Leave and it will be widely viewed as a disaster, so why should he be the one to pull the trigger? Johnson doesn't have the balls to do it, I suspect. No one wants to do it! It's kind of funny. I don't know, that could be his reasoning. Or it could be that they really are working behind the scenes with EU leaders to find a way out of this. I don't know.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-28-2016)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 69 Times in 65 Posts

Ignore the will of the people.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Seahawk For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-28-2016)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

“We did not discuss the possibility that the UK will not invoke article 50, and I consider this an impossibility.” Angela Merkel

"If next UK PM is a Leaver then should trigger A50 the day after his appointment; if a remainer then after two weeks." Juncker.

Wow, this is more like don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out. I guess the EU is not looking for a stay strategy. Maybe there is something to the idea that Paris and Frankfurt are salivating at the chance to be the new financial center of the EU.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Face reality.....GB is leaving.....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NOVA For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-29-2016)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Cameron Goes To Brussels

There's a lot of speculation that it's his last "Fuck you" to Boris Johnson and the Leavers. He is certain, as most with a brain are, that within a very short time you won't be able to find a citizen of the UK who will admit to voting Leave and it will be widely viewed as a disaster, so why should he be the one to pull the trigger? Johnson doesn't have the balls to do it, I suspect. No one wants to do it! It's kind of funny. I don't know, that could be his reasoning. Or it could be that they really are working behind the scenes with EU leaders to find a way out of this. I don't know.
    Only by fools like you and Guardianistas over here.

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post

This is it for me. Both sides Junker and Farage agree that they should trigger article 50 as soon as possible. This period of uncertainty is good for no one.

The only thing I can see is that the establishment is still trying to find a way to overturn the will of the people and they will reach an agreement where article 50 is not invoked.
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

No speculation that there is a plot not to trigger this? Thats what a lot of people are saying.
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/