Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Libertarian Definitions Handbook....

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,650 Times in 27,304 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Default Libertarian Definitions Handbook....

I hear several words from Libertarians/Ron Paul supporters that I don’t think I’ve heard since college. Words that do have historical context, but aren’t typically used by traditional Political Scientists/Historians to describe the system of American governance or American liberalism. But, frankly, words that appear to be used by Libertarians in a pejorative sense, to describe American liberalism--- Words that may have broadly defined dictionary definitions if one Wikis them – but, exactly how to they apply to American liberalism? Specifically, “collectivism” and “statism”. Oddly, these words are cherished also by extreme rightwingers (Asshatzombie, and other Stormfront-type posters).

I’d be interested in a more precise definition of these words, and how they actually apply in the real world to American liberalism:

*Collectivism: Prior to posting on message boards, I think the last time I heard this word used, was in college Russian and Chinese history classes. Specifically, pertaining to Stalin’s disastrous agricultural policies and the policy of state-managed production and manufacturing. Also, to elements of Mao’s Cultural Revolution. I never hear traditional American political scientists and historians use it with respect to the American economic and political system. What exactly does it mean, with respect to American liberalism? Are the New Deal and Great Society reforms actually collectivism? Is Medicaid, collectivism? And if so, do you advocate repealing the reforms of the Great Society and New Deal?

*Statism: Outside the academic realm of studies into Soviet, Chinese history, this is another term that I’m not sure I’ve ever heard traditional political scientists apply to American liberalism. Is the New Deal statist? Is social security statist?

*”Big Government”: what exactly IS big government? As far as I know, the United States spends a lower percentage of its GDP on public services than any other developed nation on the planet. Remove our spending on the military/industrial complex, and I’m pretty sure our spending of public infrastructure and welfare, is dwarfed by other developed nations. In short, is there a way to quantify what you mean by “big government”…is there a certain “cut off” or percentage of GDP spending devoted to the public sector, which would be the difference between “big government” and “small government”

Thanks.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't forget communalism.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.”

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

also do not forget Noahidism.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I hear several words from Libertarians/Ron Paul supporters that I don’t think I’ve heard since college. Words that do have historical context, but aren’t typically used by traditional Political Scientists/Historians to describe the system of American governance or American liberalism. But, frankly, words that appear to be used by Libertarians in a pejorative sense, to describe American liberalism--- Words that may have broadly defined dictionary definitions if one Wikis them – but, exactly how to they apply to American liberalism? Specifically, “collectivism” and “statism”. Oddly, these words are cherished also by extreme rightwingers (Asshatzombie, and other Stormfront-type posters).

I’d be interested in a more precise definition of these words, and how they actually apply in the real world to American liberalism:

*Collectivism: Prior to posting on message boards, I think the last time I heard this word used, was in college Russian and Chinese history classes. Specifically, pertaining to Stalin’s disastrous agricultural policies and the policy of state-managed production and manufacturing. Also, to elements of Mao’s Cultural Revolution. I never hear traditional American political scientists and historians use it with respect to the American economic and political system. What exactly does it mean, with respect to American liberalism? Are the New Deal and Great Society reforms actually collectivism? Is Medicaid, collectivism? And if so, do you advocate repealing the reforms of the Great Society and New Deal?

*Statism: Outside the academic realm of studies into Soviet, Chinese history, this is another term that I’m not sure I’ve ever heard traditional political scientists apply to American liberalism. Is the New Deal statist? Is social security statist?

*”Big Government”: what exactly IS big government? As far as I know, the United States spends a lower percentage of its GDP on public services than any other developed nation on the planet. Remove our spending on the military/industrial complex, and I’m pretty sure our spending of public infrastructure and welfare, is dwarfed by other developed nations. In short, is there a way to quantify what you mean by “big government”…is there a certain “cut off” or percentage of GDP spending devoted to the public sector, which would be the difference between “big government” and “small government”

Thanks.
    You only have to go back to 1996 and Bill Clinton "the days of Big Government are over". Maybe a Clinton backer can tell us what he meant?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,650 Times in 27,304 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    You only have to go back to 1996 and Bill Clinton "the days of Big Government are over". Maybe a Clinton backer can tell us what he meant?
    That's why the whole "big government", "collectivist" rhetoric in so unfullfilling.

In clinton's case, his policies and actions pretty much answer your question. He obviously was in favor of keeping in place much the traditional transformational reforms of the New Deal and Great Society. He didn't favor rolling them back or dismantling them. He claimed to believe in more effective and cost efficient government, and he tinkered at the margins with some deregulation and welfare reform. But, he was loudly and proudly a proponent of the best of the New Deal and Great Society.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Collectivism and statism don't apply to liberalism. They are the opposite of it.

Stormfronters and any other racist is a collectivist. Anybody that treats a person as a member of a group rather than an individual is clearly a collectivist. As Rand put it, racists are simply barnyard collectivists.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So all governments , organizations and religions are collectivist ?
    Proving tax cuts work!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    So all governments , organizations and religions are collectivist ?
    Huh?
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Anybody that treats a person as a member of a group rather than an individual is clearly a collectivist.

your statement RS.
    Proving tax cuts work!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The best aspects of our nation come from the founders individualist principles. You guys are incredibly ignorant about the history of thought and the enlightenment ideals that created this nation.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And these founding individualists treated people as groups.

Strange huh ?
    Proving tax cuts work!

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Anybody that treats a person as a member of a group rather than an individual is clearly a collectivist.

your statement RS.
    Yes, if you define a person by his group status rather than as an individual then you are a collectivist. Your other statement is non sequitur.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

so governments , religions and such treat people as individuals ?

The constitution that our founding fathers wrote treats people as individuals ?
    Proving tax cuts work!

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And these founding individualists treated people as groups.

Strange huh ?
    No. Read the D of I, the Consitution or any of their other writings. They were individualist. They did error in certain ways but those individualist principles corrected the major errors.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes WE the People....sure a good start of individualism.
    Proving tax cuts work!