Members banned from this thread: evince

Thread: Equal Opportunity vs Equal Outcome

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Default Equal Opportunity vs Equal Outcome

I was wondering your thoughts on the concept of equal opportunity vs equal outcome. There are a lot of people including a lot of people my age that seem to believe that there should be equal outcomes due to a desire for fairness and things like that, but in my opinion the goal should be equal opportunity but the outcome will vary depending on a lot of different circumstances, especially work ethic. What are your thoughts?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

I don't think there should be equality of outcome. The only qualifier I'd add is that I don't think there should be such extremes on outcome - but I'm not really sure what can be done about that.

At this point, equal opportunity would be an amazing achievement. We don't have that, or anything close to it. I think most Americans are hard-working when given an equal chance & the incentive, but there are so many pockets of society right now where that doesn't really exist.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

Norah (06-02-2016)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Declaration only calls Life, Liberty and the "pursuit of happiness" -no guarantee

The phrase gives three examples of the "unalienable rights" which the Declaration says has been given to all human beings by their Creator, and for which governments are created to protect.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Norah (06-02-2016)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Chick View Post
    I was wondering your thoughts on the concept of equal opportunity vs equal outcome. There are a lot of people including a lot of people my age that seem to believe that there should be equal outcomes due to a desire for fairness and things like that, but in my opinion the goal should be equal opportunity but the outcome will vary depending on a lot of different circumstances, especially work ethic. What are your thoughts?
    Rightists favor equal opportunity because it is a nebulous concept that allows for numerous opportunities for dodging. Equal outcome, on the other hand, is a concrete concept, and thus is disfavored by liberals and rightists.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    I don't think there should be equality of outcome. The only qualifier I'd add is that I don't think there should be such extremes on outcome - but I'm not really sure what can be done about that.
    I bet Bernie has a plan. At least he's convinced my younger relatives that he does.

At this point, equal opportunity would be an amazing achievement. We don't have that, or anything close to it. I think most Americans are hard-working when given an equal chance & the incentive, but there are so many pockets of society right now where that doesn't really exist.
    I still believe that if people are willing to work hard and play by the rules they can improve their status immensely. I believe this to be true for all races and in most parts of the country.

Example: Just today my family and I flew into Tulsa from Denver. We'd been out to California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming for a little tour. Had my in laws with us. Can't eat Mexican food when they're along so when we parted at Denver and landed in Tulsa the wife, kid and I went to the first Mexican restaurant we came to. Turns out it is run by a family who immigrated here five years ago legally. The wife and one daughter run the kitchen and the younger daughter runs the front...waiting and cashiering. It was around 2 pm so they weren't busy at all and talking to the wife who came out to see if we liked our food (it was great) they have improved their station in life tremendously. If nothing bends or breaks their children will have it so much better than they did. I have the utmost respect for people like that who can work and do things (immigrate) lawfully. Just another example of a brown family advancing in our society because they're willing to work.

I have several acquaintances where where I live who are Mexican immigrants. A couple go back home a time or two a year and have even asked me to go with them for a visit. When I retire I may take them up on it. They are hard working, conscientious folks who I like and admire. They are going to go a lot further than much of the white trash that exists around here. One thing sets them apart....W ... O ... R ... K. Most hard working white folks see it and respect it in them. Oh, they don't like either of our presidential candidates either.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Book Purist View Post
    Rightists favor equal opportunity because it is a nebulous concept that allows for numerous opportunities for dodging. Equal outcome, on the other hand, is a concrete concept, and thus is disfavored by liberals and rightists.
    Do you have a concrete definition of equal outcome lol?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Book Purist View Post

Equal outcome is pretty much literally impossible in my opinion. How do you propose that equal outcomes become reality considering all of the variables that go into an outcome?