Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Was Hiroshima an act of terrorism?

1. #556 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,663 Times in 17,923 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I can certainly feel sympathy for Japan, even though I agree with the bombings. One other notorious, frequently criticized bombing, that also turned 75 back in February, is Dresden. No sympathy for the krauts, from me. Never seen the 200k figure disputed before, btw.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200213...-commemoration
    The German civilians were aiding their war effort which was killing Americans.

There is no notoriety in stopping the killing of Americans, The bombings helped stop the war and the killing on both sides.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Anvil Kasseri (08-09-2020), Minister of Truth (08-09-2020)

3. #557 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,633 Times in 10,059 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,101 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Yes, Japan was never informed that the US had a new weapon when the warned Japan of total destruction.
    You are a fucking liar

Hiroshima leaflets (main text)

TO THE JAPANESE PEOPLE:

America asks that you take immediate heed of what we say on this leaflet.

We are in possession of the most destructive explosive ever devised by man. A single one of our newly developed atomic bombs is actually the equivalent in explosive power to what 2000 of our giant B-29s can carry on a single mission. This awful fact is one for you to ponder and we solemnly assure you it is grimly accurate.

We have just begun to use this weapon against your homeland. If you still have any doubt, make inquiry as to what happened to Hiroshima when just one atomic bomb fell on that city.

Before using this bomb to destroy every resource of the military by which they are prolonging this useless war, we ask that you now petition the Emperor to end the war. Our president has outlined for you the thirteen consequences of an honorable surrender. We urge that you accept these consequences and begin the work of building a new, better and peace-loving Japan.

You should take steps now to cease military resistance. Otherwise, we shall resolutely employ this bomb and all our other superior weapons to promptly and forcefully end the war.

https://www.atomicheritage.org/key-d...rning-leaflets

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volsrock For This Post:

Callinectes (08-09-2020), cancel2 2022 (08-09-2020), Earl (08-09-2020)

5. #558 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,663 Times in 17,923 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    You are a fucking liar

TO THE JAPANESE PEOPLE:

We are in possession of the most destructive explosive ever devised by man. A single one of our newly developed atomic bombs is actually the equivalent in explosive power to what 2000 of our giant B-29s can carry on a single mission. This awful fact is one for you to ponder and we solemnly assure you it is grimly accurate.

We have just begun to use this weapon against your homeland. If you still have any doubt, make inquiry as to what happened to Hiroshima when just one atomic bomb fell on that city.

Before using this bomb to destroy every resource of the military by which they are prolonging this useless war, we ask that you now petition the Emperor to end the war. Our president has outlined for you the thirteen consequences of an honorable surrender. We urge that you accept these consequences and begin the work of building a new, better and peace-loving Japan.

You should take steps now to cease military resistance. Otherwise, we shall resolutely employ this bomb and all our other superior weapons to promptly and forcefully end the war.

Thanks, volsrock.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-09-2020)

7. #559 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Thanks, volsrock.
    Yup

Did Japan drop leaflets on Pearl Harbor?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to volsrock For This Post:

Callinectes (08-09-2020)

9. #560 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,418 Times in 52,443 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    You are a fucking liar

TO THE JAPANESE PEOPLE:

Good link but those leaflets were dropped after Hiroshima. FWIW, I don't give a fuck if leaflets were dropped or not. No leaflets or other warning was given about Pearl Harbor, Bataan, Corregidor, Nanking, etc. The Japanese started that war and the US finished it. I'm good with it.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Anvil Kasseri (08-09-2020), Callinectes (08-09-2020)

11. #561 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,235 Times in 6,870 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Good link but those leaflets were dropped after Hiroshima. FWIW, I don't give a fuck if leaflets were dropped or not. No leaflets or other warning was given about Pearl Harbor, Bataan, Corregidor, Nanking, etc. The Japanese started that war and the US finished it. I'm good with it.
    So, anytime we can end a war by targeting civilians, we should?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

moon (08-09-2020)

13. #562 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,418 Times in 52,443 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    No, but if it's all we have left to end the war, then yes. What strategy would you have proposed? A tersely worded letter and a pink pussy hat march outside the Japanese embassy?

From Earl's thread which banned dissenting comments:
    Or we'll commit a terrorist act against your civilians?
    It wasn't terrorism, but thanks for slamming all the United States soldiers, sailors and Marines giving their lives to fight an aggressor responsible for shockingly brutal acts against humanity. An aggressor which still refuses to admit they forced captive Korean and Chinese women to become sex slaves.

Liberal attacks against the United States, especially against the United States military, without giving context to the times and the situation, are why I have never voted for a Democrat President and I most probably never will.

These are the people you defending against "terrorism":

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...ape-of-nanking
    To break the spirit of Chinese resistance, Japanese General Matsui Iwane ordered that the city of Nanking be destroyed. Much of the city was burned, and Japanese troops launched a campaign of atrocities against civilians. In what became known as the “Rape of Nanking,” the Japanese butchered an estimated 150,000 male “war prisoners,” massacred an additional 50,000 male civilians, and raped at least 20,000 women and girls of all ages, many of whom were mutilated or killed in the process.

Pictures NSFW or children: https://allthatsinteresting.com/rape...nking-massacre

Last edited by Doc Dutch; 08-09-2020 at 09:26 AM.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Anvil Kasseri (08-09-2020)

15. #563 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I never slam soldiers or our military. I slam politicians.

Politicians decided to drop that bomb. Which was absolutely a terrorist act. If you want me to join you in saying all Japanese civilians were evil to justify that decision, I will not.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-11-2020), Phantasmal (08-09-2020)

17. #564 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There Are No Civilians in Japan

Allied military planners faced a bitter truth as they planned for a possible invasion of Japan: there were no distinctions between soldiers and civilians.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/wa...ivilians-japan

18. The Following User Groans At volsrock For This Awful Post:

christiefan915 (08-11-2020)

19. #565 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And I have no idea where you got that I defended anyone who committed war atrocities, Dutch Uncle. That is a lie.

20. #566 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,172 Times in 14,710 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

Politicians decided to drop that bomb. Which was absolutely a terrorist act. If you want me to join you in saying all Japanese civilians were evil to justify that decision, I will not.
    How many of our soldiers would you have let die in the invasion of Japan?
    Because Japanese geography did not provide many invasion beaches, the Japanese organized a strong defense, particularly at Kyushu. Over 10,000 aircraft of various types and sizes were prepared as kamikaze aircraft. Underground networks of bunkers and caves stored food, water, and thousands of tons of ammunition. 2,350,000 regular soldiers and 250,000 garrison troops were deployed, 900,000 of which were stationed in Kyushu by Aug 1945. 32,000,000 militia, in other words all males between the age of 15 and 60 and all females between 17 and 45, were given the task to supplement the regular military; their weapons include everything from antique bronze cannons to Arisaka rifles, from bamboo spears to Model 99 light machine guns. Perhaps the eeriest fact was that after the war the United States discovered even children were trained to become suicide bombers when necessarily, strapping explosives around their torsos and rolling under the treads of American tanks. "This was the enemy the Pentagon had learned to fear and hate", said Dan van der Vat, "a country of fanatics dedicated to hara-kiri, determined to slay as many invaders as possible as they went down fighting". Although there was a strong dovish movement in Tokyo to end the war by seeking a conditional surrender, Ketsu-Go (Operation "Decision") continued to move forth, aiming to cause as much casualty as possible in order to sway American popular opinion. If they could cause more casualties than what the American people could accept, they thought, Japan might have a chance at negotiating for an armistice.
    Last edited by ExpressLane; 08-09-2020 at 09:36 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

22. #567 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    How many of our soldiers would you have let die in the invasion of Japan?
    I'm not a military strategist.

I just think America should stand for something greater. As soon as we adopt the tactics of those we condemn, we are at their level. There is no way around that.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-09-2020)

24. #568 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How many of our soldiers and Japanese would you have let die in the invasion of Japan?

400,000 to 800,000 plus US soldiers ?

1 million ...3 million plus Japanese ?

350,000 to 500,000 civilians killed in Germany to stop Hitler!

Snowflake.. I guess u wanted Hitler to continue his assault on the world killing millions upon millions
    Last edited by volsrock; 08-09-2020 at 09:46 AM.

25. The Following User Groans At volsrock For This Awful Post:

christiefan915 (08-11-2020)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volsrock For This Post:

Anvil Kasseri (08-09-2020), ExpressLane (08-09-2020)

27. #569 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,172 Times in 14,710 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm not a military strategist.
    Right then you aren't qualified to say it was an act of terrorism then.

I just think America should stand for something greater. As soon as we adopt the tactics of those we condemn, we are at their level. There is no way around that.
    During WWII virtually everyone in Japan was a member of the milita. They were even manufacturing rifles in private homes.

https://ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?ba...f%20ammunition.

Because Japanese geography did not provide many invasion beaches, the Japanese organized a strong defense, particularly at Kyushu. Over 10,000 aircraft of various types and sizes were prepared as kamikaze aircraft. Underground networks of bunkers and caves stored food, water, and thousands of tons of ammunition. 2,350,000 regular soldiers and 250,000 garrison troops were deployed, 900,000 of which were stationed in Kyushu by Aug 1945. 32,000,000 militia, in other words all males between the age of 15 and 60 and all females between 17 and 45, were given the task to supplement the regular military; their weapons include everything from antique bronze cannons to Arisaka rifles, from bamboo spears to Model 99 light machine guns. Perhaps the eeriest fact was that after the war the United States discovered even children were trained to become suicide bombers when necessarily, strapping explosives around their torsos and rolling under the treads of American tanks. "This was the enemy the Pentagon had learned to fear and hate", said Dan van der Vat, "a country of fanatics dedicated to hara-kiri, determined to slay as many invaders as possible as they went down fighting". Although there was a strong dovish movement in Tokyo to end the war by seeking a conditional surrender, Ketsu-Go (Operation "Decision") continued to move forth, aiming to cause as much casualty as possible in order to sway American popular opinion. If they could cause more casualties than what the American people could accept, they thought, Japan might have a chance at negotiating for an armistice.
    Last edited by ExpressLane; 08-09-2020 at 01:10 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

29. #570 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Only military strategists can identify terrorism?