Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saudis sentence woman to 200 lashes and prison for being gang- raped

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Saudis sentence woman to 200 lashes and prison for being gang- raped

The Saudis are the "good guys" ???

Saudis Defend Verdict Against Gang-Rape Victim
    http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...BrandChannel=0

RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia defended on Tuesday a court's decision to sentence a woman who was gang-raped to 200 lashes of the whip, after the United States described the verdict as "astonishing".

The 19-year-old Shi'ite woman from the town of Qatif in the Eastern Province and an unrelated male companion were abducted and raped by seven men in 2006.

Ruling according to Saudi Arabia's strict reading of Islamic law, a court had originally sentenced the woman to 90 lashes and the rapists to jail terms of between 10 months and five years. It blamed the woman for being alone with an unrelated man.

Last week the Supreme Judicial Council increased the sentence to 200 lashes and six months in prison and ordered the rapists to serve between two and nine years in jail.

The ruling provoked rare criticism from the United States, which is trying to persuade Saudi Arabia to attend a Middle East peace conference in Annapolis, Maryland next week.

A State Department spokesman told reporters on Monday that "most (people) would find this relatively astonishing that something like this happens".

The court also took the unusual step of initiating disciplinary procedures against her lawyer, Abdul-Rahman al-Lahem, forcibly removing him from the case for having talked about it to the media.

"The Ministry of Justice welcomes constructive criticism ... The system allows appeals without resort to the media," said Tuesday's statement issued on the official news agency SPA.

It berated media for not specifying that three judges, not one, issued the recent ruling and reiterated that the "charges were proven" against the woman.

more at link ...

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

This has already been posted.

And they didn't sentence her for "gang-rape", BTW. It was because she was in a car with another man. They do that kind of stuff over there, but even they don't send people to jail for being gang-raped.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Victim blaming is acataually a quite common defense for rape in sexist countries.

"Oh, you weren't being demure enough! It's your fault he raped you!"

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    This has already been posted.

And they didn't sentence her for "gang-rape", BTW. It was because she was in a car with another man. They do that kind of stuff over there, but even they don't send people to jail for being gang-raped.
    Ruling according to Saudi Arabia's strict reading of Islamic law, a court had originally sentenced the woman to 90 lashes and the rapists to jail terms of between 10 months and five years. It blamed the woman for being alone with an unrelated man.

The unrelated man she was with was also abducted.

Irrespective of what their courts said about this bizarre law, in essence they blame the victim for being gang-raped.

Didn't know it had been posted ..

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

a salame alakum
    don't be hatin on Islam

they don't do civil rights
    they do oil

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,608 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sharia Law. Fantastic stuff. It seems that the law the terrorists want to have everywhere wouldn't be all that promising to freedom of the individual, or even to justice.

This is the deal S.A. makes in order to keep from being attacked by the terrorists.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

this is how it is in middle east.

we either involve ourselves.. aka push human rights, democracy, invade

or

We stay out of there business. period.

IM all for the latter.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,608 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm all for alternate energy research so that we no longer will have any urge to pay attention to the way they wish to live.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think a poor middle east with no reason to cooperate with the rest of the world will just be an even crazier middle east.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    The Saudis are the "good guys" ???

Saudis Defend Verdict Against Gang-Rape Victim
    http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...BrandChannel=0

RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia defended on Tuesday a court's decision to sentence a woman who was gang-raped to 200 lashes of the whip, after the United States described the verdict as "astonishing".

The 19-year-old Shi'ite woman from the town of Qatif in the Eastern Province and an unrelated male companion were abducted and raped by seven men in 2006.

Last week the Supreme Judicial Council increased the sentence to 200 lashes and six months in prison and ordered the rapists to serve between two and nine years in jail.

The ruling provoked rare criticism from the United States, which is trying to persuade Saudi Arabia to attend a Middle East peace conference in Annapolis, Maryland next week.

A State Department spokesman told reporters on Monday that "most (people) would find this relatively astonishing that something like this happens".

The court also took the unusual step of initiating disciplinary procedures against her lawyer, Abdul-Rahman al-Lahem, forcibly removing him from the case for having talked about it to the media.

"The Ministry of Justice welcomes constructive criticism ... The system allows appeals without resort to the media," said Tuesday's statement issued on the official news agency SPA.

It berated media for not specifying that three judges, not one, issued the recent ruling and reiterated that the "charges were proven" against the woman.

more at link ...
    What gives us the moral right to go into other countries again and dictate their laws???

I mean if we wanted to change Saudi Arabia we just need to make up some fake stories of WMDs and invade it...

CK

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

We have NO ability to change this. That woman is going to get beaten for meeting a friend and the two of them getting abducted. This is contract we wrote when we became so dependent on them for oil. We have no leverage to change this outcome. All we can do is show outrage, but not TOO much.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    We have NO ability to change this. That woman is going to get beaten for meeting a friend and the two of them getting abducted. This is contract we wrote when we became so dependent on them for oil. We have no leverage to change this outcome. All we can do is show outrage, but not TOO much.
    It's pretty sad. I know. I wish I could change it but I know we can't without making the situation a hell of a lot worse.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianKid View Post
    What gives us the moral right to go into other countries again and dictate their laws???

I mean if we wanted to change Saudi Arabia we just need to make up some fake stories of WMDs and invade it...

CK
    I'm sorry if by posting this I gave the impression that I'm suggesting that we dictate anything to them. I'm merely pointing out the gaping differences in perception of what constitutes the rationale to "liberate the people" and "bring democracy" to the arab world .. even if we have to blow up and melt their children and babies to do it.

What is missed is that the fake kings rulers also disciplined the lawyer and threatened the press. Had this been Chavez or the President of Iran, this would be reason for the CIA to forment "opposition" to liberate the people from tyranny.

I agree with you.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default MBA Personal Statement - Robdawg and Topspin

So what exactly are you supposed to write in these things...

I could write just a bunch of yadda yadda yadda...

If thats all that they want....

CK

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    I'm sorry if by posting this I gave the impression that I'm suggesting that we dictate anything to them. I'm merely pointing out the gaping differences in perception of what constitutes the rationale to "liberate the people" and "bring democracy" to the arab world .. even if we have to blow up and melt their children and babies to do it.

What is missed is that the fake kings rulers also disciplined the lawyer and threatened the press. Had this been Chavez or the President of Iran, this would be reason for the CIA to forment "opposition" to liberate the people from tyranny.

I agree with you.

It wasnt directed at you.... It was directed at the war mongering posters on here....basically all conservatives, libertarians, and lieberman democrats...

CK