Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, canceled.2021.1, J Craft, Text Drivers are Killers, CFM and Lumberjack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public Schools are Visiting the Creation Museum on Field Trips...

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Default Public Schools are Visiting the Creation Museum on Field Trips...

That's not constitutional. Bad enough this thing even exists. Maybe someone can explain why schools aren't getting their knuckles rapped over these trips. However, I do like the term "Ayatollah of Appalachia."

"Ken Ham, the Ayatollah of Appalachia and founder of Kentucky’s Creation Museum, is at the pulpit of Covington’s First Baptist Church in Louisiana. He’s railing that young people are “taught not to think” by “secular museums” and schools. Behind Ham, there’s a blown-glass picture of Jesus wreathed in flames.
    It’s late March. “If you believe in [the Earth being] millions of years [old] as a Christian,” Ham says, “you believe God says cancer and brain tumors are good.” A man with a thin mustache, sitting next to me, yells “Amen!” (Good Christians—those who presumably view cancer as a bad thing—are supposed to believe that the Earth is a few thousand years old, according to Ham.)

...“We don’t get involved in politics,” Ham told me when I asked him about his education initiatives. Despite preaching against secular museums and schools, he said, “We’ve never tried to get creation taught in school.” But, on Facebook, Ham has defended the principle of teaching public school children creationism and his museum has hosted visits by public schools in the past. In 2012, Yahoo News pointed out that the Supreme Court had ruled that teaching creationism was unconstitutional, and therefore it’s a constitutional violation for public schools to take field trips to his museum. “There is no such thing as ‘separation of church and state,’ ” he wrote in response. “Reporters continue to promote this fallacy and scare Christians out of standing up for their beliefs.”

Unconstitutionality aside, the Creation Museum attracts a steady stream of public schools that take their students on field trips to the museum...

If a field trip isn’t enough creationism for public schools, they can take part in the Creation Museum’s Science Fair. “It’s open to homeschoolers, Christian school students, and public school students,” the Creation Museum’s website says. “As long as you agree with AiG’s Statement of Faith and will conduct a quality experiment, you can apply.”

(Continued)

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...on_museum.html

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Something wrong with keeping an open mind about it lol?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Hussein Omar View Post
    Something wrong with keeping an open mind about it lol?
    No but kids can keep an open mind when they're visiting with their parents. I can just imagine if the field trip was to a mosque.

― Charles Dickens

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 648 Times in 283 Posts

I can see some educational value for parents and their kids, as long as they point out the staff.

But no publicly-funded trips.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm so embarrassed that a PA school district allowed their kids to make the trip. It must be those who cling to their guns and religion, as Obama once said.

"Beaver Falls Area School District, in Pennsylvania, approved a teacher’s request to take students on a field trip to the museum."

― Charles Dickens

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

IMHO it is child abuse. Plain and simple.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonthecat For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (04-26-2016)

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I'm so embarrassed that a PA school district allowed their kids to make the trip. It must be those who cling to their guns and religion, as Obama once said.
    Were they scarred by the surreal experience of seeing a plastic Jesus riding a fiberglass Brontosaurus?

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Legion Troll View Post
    Were they scarred by the surreal experience of seeing a plastic Jesus riding a fiberglass Brontosaurus?

― Charles Dickens

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

At the creation museum, Adam and Eve are white,
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonthecat For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (04-26-2016)

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

The common response is, well, you're trying to attract children to your museum so you can teach them something we don't believe in. That's probably true," he concedes. "But secular museums and most natural history museums, when they run a dinosaur exhibit it's to promote attendance, and they're trying to teach kids things we don't believe in
    nice false equivalency..
    Evolution ( and the age of the earth ets.) isn't a "belief" -it's science..

How weird is it to have a museum based on un-scientific ( fallacy) principles?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Phantasmal (04-25-2016)

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

LOL

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

soo strange...

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    nice false equivalency..
    Evolution ( and the age of the earth ets.) isn't a "belief" -it's science..

How weird is it to have a museum based on un-scientific ( fallacy) principles?
    To each their own lol? I don't see where it's that big a deal.

But the belief thing with respect to evolution or science has always been kind of tricky to me. Do I believe in global warming like I believe that water freezes at 0°C? No, because those are two different kinds of statements. I can stick a thermometer in a jar of water and see that it freezes at a certain temp.

But you can't do that with global warming or many of the myriad claims of evolution: You have to accept that they're true and that necessitates at least a degree of belief.

In other words, it's not that cut and dried.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

18. The Following User Groans At Darth Omar For This Awful Post:

BRUTALITOPS (04-26-2016)

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    That's not constitutional. Bad enough this thing even exists. Maybe someone can explain why schools aren't getting their knuckles rapped over these trips. However, I do like the term "Ayatollah of Appalachia."

"Ken Ham, the Ayatollah of Appalachia and founder of Kentucky’s Creation Museum, is at the pulpit of Covington’s First Baptist Church in Louisiana. He’s railing that young people are “taught not to think” by “secular museums” and schools. Behind Ham, there’s a blown-glass picture of Jesus wreathed in flames.
    It’s late March. “If you believe in [the Earth being] millions of years [old] as a Christian,” Ham says, “you believe God says cancer and brain tumors are good.” A man with a thin mustache, sitting next to me, yells “Amen!” (Good Christians—those who presumably view cancer as a bad thing—are supposed to believe that the Earth is a few thousand years old, according to Ham.)

...“We don’t get involved in politics,” Ham told me when I asked him about his education initiatives. Despite preaching against secular museums and schools, he said, “We’ve never tried to get creation taught in school.” But, on Facebook, Ham has defended the principle of teaching public school children creationism and his museum has hosted visits by public schools in the past. In 2012, Yahoo News pointed out that the Supreme Court had ruled that teaching creationism was unconstitutional, and therefore it’s a constitutional violation for public schools to take field trips to his museum. “There is no such thing as ‘separation of church and state,’ ” he wrote in response. “Reporters continue to promote this fallacy and scare Christians out of standing up for their beliefs.”

Unconstitutionality aside, the Creation Museum attracts a steady stream of public schools that take their students on field trips to the museum...

If a field trip isn’t enough creationism for public schools, they can take part in the Creation Museum’s Science Fair. “It’s open to homeschoolers, Christian school students, and public school students,” the Creation Museum’s website says. “As long as you agree with AiG’s Statement of Faith and will conduct a quality experiment, you can apply.”

(Continued)

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...on_museum.html
    God that is really funny, Topspin lives in Covington!. Maybe he is the Ayatollah?