Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A warm "hello" from Juche105

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

Default A warm "hello" from Juche105

I am, above all, someone who cares for the well being and equal treatment of all human beings.

I used to be very conservative in my younger and foolish days. I was a registered republican and nra member. Mind you, this was due to me growing up in a very wealthy, closed minded, and sheltered suburban neighborhood.

I joined the army at age 18, and that's when my preconceived naivete began collapsing. I saw how our officers tried to instill an irrational hate of all Muslims and people of color. I saw how our cadences and marching songs weren't about freedom or rights, but about killing people and seeing their blood spill out. This sickened me, and I slowly started realizing that I wasn't fighting for freedom, but for the profits of oil companies and the satisfaction of bigoted politicians who can't tolerate other religions and cultures, even half a world away.

While I was in the army, I also lost my faith in christianity. This wasn't due to any main reason, I simply started accepting science over superstition. However, revealing my non-religious beliefs to my chain of command exposed to me just how vicious the christian fundamentalists in this country can be towards somebody who doesn't believe in their dogma. I was harassed by my chain of command, bullied by my so called "battle buddies," and treated as a second class citizen of the country whose Army I was serving in.

I left the army with my illusions about what I was taught by nationalistic teachers, whitewashed history textbooks, and fox news completely shattered. I did not immediately leave the right wing, but my mind was now opened and the more garbage I heard my former friends or local politicians say, the more angry I got. Eventually, I realized that conservatives had no room for free thinkers like me in their ranks, and that I certainly had no room for right wing brainwashing and misinformation in my life.

Today, I consider myself an independent. I don't blindly follow partisan politics, although when I do vote, it is either for the democrat party or a third party candidate. I am active in helping to better the lives of the less fortunate and trying to change the massive unfairness present in the United States today. I continue to educate myself and to seek new ways and means to combat racism, sexism, homophobia, and poverty in this country.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juche105 For This Post:

iolo (04-28-2016), Leonthecat (04-22-2016)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

How did you find this board?

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 144 Times in 127 Posts
    Blog Entries

o/

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

just searched google for somewhere where I could debate and learn more, and maybe educate other netizens about my views. This forum was the first one I found that seemed decent and not filled to the brim with trolls

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

high five to you too!

That's what o/ means, right?

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is a hand. Like a hello.

Im the neighborhood greeter. cawacko was the sock inspector.

You'll do fine I suppose. Whyd you want to join a forum?

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Auster View Post
    It is a hand. Like a hello.

Im the neighborhood greeter. cwacko was the sock inspector
    Ok. Now I get it.

In any case, hello to you too.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,090 Times in 25,663 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Welcome. Sounds like you've led an interesting life!

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juche105 View Post
    I am, above all, someone who cares for the well being and equal treatment of all human beings.

I used to be very conservative in my younger and foolish days. I was a registered republican and nra member. Mind you, this was due to me growing up in a very wealthy, closed minded, and sheltered suburban neighborhood.

I joined the army at age 18, and that's when my preconceived naivete began collapsing. I saw how our officers tried to instill an irrational hate of all Muslims and people of color. I saw how our cadences and marching songs weren't about freedom or rights, but about killing people and seeing their blood spill out. This sickened me, and I slowly started realizing that I wasn't fighting for freedom, but for the profits of oil companies and the satisfaction of bigoted politicians who can't tolerate other religions and cultures, even half a world away.

While I was in the army, I also lost my faith in christianity. This wasn't due to any main reason, I simply started accepting science over superstition. However, revealing my non-religious beliefs to my chain of command exposed to me just how vicious the christian fundamentalists in this country can be towards somebody who doesn't believe in their dogma. I was harassed by my chain of command, bullied by my so called "battle buddies," and treated as a second class citizen of the country whose Army I was serving in.

I left the army with my illusions about what I was taught by nationalistic teachers, whitewashed history textbooks, and fox news completely shattered. I did not immediately leave the right wing, but my mind was now opened and the more garbage I heard my former friends or local politicians say, the more angry I got. Eventually, I realized that conservatives had no room for free thinkers like me in their ranks, and that I certainly had no room for right wing brainwashing and misinformation in my life.

Today, I consider myself an independent. I don't blindly follow partisan politics, although when I do vote, it is either for the democrat party or a third party candidate. I am active in helping to better the lives of the less fortunate and trying to change the massive unfairness present in the United States today. I continue to educate myself and to seek new ways and means to combat racism, sexism, homophobia, and poverty in this country.
    I think you and Desh will get along fabulously.

I call bullshit on your story, but it was a fun read nonetheless. So many stereotypes and leftist tropes in such a small compact space. Nice job

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

just searched google for somewhere where I could debate and learn more, and maybe educate other netizens about my views. This forum was the first one I found that seemed decent and not filled to the brim with trolls
    Why would you think others either need to or want to be educated on your views? Have you stumbled across some enlightenment heretofore uncovered in all of human existence?

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    I think you and Desh will get along fabulously.

I call bullshit on your story, but it was a fun read nonetheless. So many stereotypes and leftist tropes in such a small compact space. Nice job
    Screams it doesn't it.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default A warm "hello" from Juche105

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Screams it doesn't it.
    The only thing he missed was about being a republican until Bush Iraq and Katrina

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,753 Times in 33,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the board!

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

shouldnt have been such a weaksauce whiner

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion Troll View Post