Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Resolution 1955 (thought crime)

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default House Resolution 1955 (thought crime)

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it."
    -Abraham Lincoln

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_House_Resolution_1955

House Resolution 1955, titled the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007, is a resolution submitted to the House of Representatives by Representative Jane Harman (D-California) during the 110th United States Congress which seeks to deal with "Homegrown terrorism and Violent radicalization." [1] The resolution was introduced April 19th, 2007. [2] The bill has been said to define Thoughtcrime, providing a legal basis for the prevention and prosecution of it.

From IndyBay.org: http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/200...5/18456040.php

The definition of violent radicalization uses vague language to define this term of promoting any belief system that the government considers to be an extremist agenda. Since the bill doesn’t specifically define what an extremist belief system is, it is entirely up to the interpretation of the government. Considering how much the government has done to destroy the Constitution they could even define Ron Paul supporters as promoting an extremist belief system. Literally, the government according to this definition can define whatever they want as an extremist belief system. Essentially they have defined violent radicalization as thought crime.

Under this bill, after the Government charges you with Terrorism for “thinking about or supporting an Agenda that might entail violence, “Patriot Act Asset Forfeiture Provisions” kick in under Title 18 of the federal code. The “federal relation back doctrine” provides the government the power to seize any assets that was used prior to facilitate or support a purpose that would make that asset subject to government forfeiture. After this bill passes peaceful organizations and protestors attending demonstrations may be at great risk. Under the Patriot Act, if you or your organization are criminally charged with terrorism or terrorist conspiracy, Government can forfeit your home if used for meetings as constituting an asset “used” to support a terrorist conspiracy. The government can seize your car if used to transport co-conspirators to meetings or demonstrations that advance an “illegal agenda.” Even if no violence took place.

This is the worst breach of our granted Constitutional rights since the Patriot Act and gun control.
    Last edited by Demosthenes; 11-10-2007 at 12:48 AM. Reason: added a thought

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

Hello newbie, and thanks for this post. Orwell would be proud and ashamed at the same time.

Here's the actual language of the bill:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h110-1955

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't understand why you love terrorists so much?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    I don't understand why you love terrorists so much?
    Because maybe someday, they'll blow up Mississippi.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Because maybe someday, they'll blow up Mississippi.
    We can only hope.
    There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

-Oscar Wilde

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sponsored by a Cali Democrat...

Crazy.
    There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

-Oscar Wilde

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's almost like watching t.v. - except real life. Fuckin' hell, we need Ron Paul in a big way. More importantly, we need Americans to get their heads out of their frightened, pansy asses and stop allowing government to do this type of shit.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ironhead View Post
    It's almost like watching t.v. - except real life. Fuckin' hell, we need Ron Paul in a big way. More importantly, we need Americans to get their heads out of their frightened, pansy asses and stop allowing government to do this type of shit.
    QFT...

And welcome to Demosthenes.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's it mag. But for the most part, people will continue to roll over as the government continues to etch and etch until there's nothing left to etch at anymore. It's pretty fuckin sick.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

To the people who feel they are being a good citizen by thinking "I have nothing to hide" if a government wants to invade their privacy---remember this----The Constitution of the United States of America was not developed for people who had something to hide. The next time you hear a person say 'I have nothing to hide"--please tell that person this fact.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The more I talk to people in my area--the more I have hope for that. I seem to realize that theMAJORITY of the people are beginning to unify their complaints. When we beat the amnisty bill--a tear came to my eye, because I acutally realized that the people still have some power in this country. (The Bald Eagle was also removed from the endangered list on the very same day---for the "what is your sign?" crowd).

I now believe this. THERE ARE MORE OF US----WE CAN TAKEN THEM!
    Tools like the internet, and talk radio are the freeway to connect our powers. I hope to see the day the people get the country back---AND I KNOW HOW TO DO IT---EASY!

The Solution---and nobody has ever disagreed with me on this one point. Firts--lets define the real underlying problem in this "Free country" of ours.

Problem---- The problem is the voting method we use. In this country, we are forced to select a small top percentile of our total population for major offices. The elite. Sure--anybody can run. that is true. But to have a chance of winning, you have to be a multi millionaire or billionaire. Who was that las Democrat running that was not allowed to debate the last Dem debate---because he had not generated enough funds? Now I am not saying all elite are bad. In fact, I am sure they are mostly pretty nice people in their own right. But lets face the facts about human nature. Most people that have achieved eliteness did not do so by caring about other people first.--Espically people that could not help them achieve their goals (the middle class ring a bell?).

The rich people, as a whole, that we elect to do the best things for us---really don't care about us. What do we expect? You cant get in their country club either--unless your serving them. Hillery Clinton is a extreem example of this I believe--but most follow suit. They are all friends people. It is not a country club--but it is a big club---and your not in it. (George Carlin).

More evidence.
    PBS showed a film called "Warren and Bill go back to school" (I could have the names backwards--but call your local PBS for it). Bill Gates and Warren Buffet visited, what I believe, was Harvard University, for a question and answer session. One student asked Warren what he tought of a "flat rate tax". Part of Warrens answer was---and he ought to know

I QOUTE WARREN BUFFET word for word--I only had to hear it once.

"I could have lived most of my adult life, and not paid one dime in federal income taxes. This country caters to the rich very well,---and it's not fair".

Word for word ladies and gentelman, and it is very true. You know it, and I know it.

Campaign contibutions?---there is not a better way to open up the door for corruption, and insures we only have a small % of the elite population to choose from to ruin this country for us and our children (OK--I played the children card--but this time, it is true, and not a mask for another agenda).

The answer (or a possibility to grow with). Why can't we just go to the secretary of state, and prove we are a living citizen any way we could, that is reliable. Then we get a voter searial number, that is used just for that voting term. Now, it is voting time. We then have a 6 month approx long show (long enough to show true colors) with nothing but debates like a tournament. we vote them off with our serial number (can not be duplicated). You don't have to be rich to run--but i guarantee you we will end up with sharp people that care about the freedoms and rights that made this country what it used to be.

Bottom lione--if we can change the way we vote, so a person doesn not have to be a multi millionaire/billionaire to have a shot of winning (anybody can run--only rich win)---then we will see a government for the people by the people again. I am throughly convineced that voting is nothing more than a huge inconvience to many of our elected officials.

don't get me wrong--I don't hate rich people. I don't hate corporations that built this country's middle class, and way of life. I hope to be one of those guys someday. But the greed is taking over--at the people expense today. If we want a future for free generations of people who can work to greatness for the country, man kind, and for themselfs--we have to stop electing rich see-suckers who don't care about us. It is a fact folks---they don't care about us as a whole--unless they can get something from us----like more taxes.

I say we start a petition to change the voting system so other people from other levels of economics have a equal shot of winning. All we need is "balance"

That's right!
    Last edited by theMAJORITY; 11-10-2007 at 06:15 PM.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theMAJORITY View Post
    The more I talk to people in my area--the more I have hope for that. I seem to realize that theMAJORITY of the people are beginning to unify their complaints. When we beat the amnisty bill--a tear came to my eye, because I acutally realized that the people still have some power in this country. (The Bald Eagle was also removed from the endangered list on the very same day---for the "what is your sign?" crowd).

I now believe this. THERE ARE MORE OF US----WE CAN TAKEN THEM!
    Tools like the internet, and talk radio are the freeway to connect our powers. I hope to see the day the people get the country back---AND I KNOW HOW TO DO IT---EASY!

The Solution---and nobody has ever disagreed with me on this one point. Firts--lets define the real underlying problem in this "Free country" of ours.

Problem---- The problem is the voting method we use. In this country, we are forced to select a small top percentile of our total population for major offices. The elite. Sure--anybody can run. that is true. But to have a chance of winning, you have to be a multi millionaire or billionaire. Who was that las Democrat running that was not allowed to debate the last Dem debate---because he had not generated enough funds? Now I am not saying all elite are bad. In fact, I am sure they are mostly pretty nice people in their own right. But lets face the facts about human nature. Most people that have achieved eliteness did not do so by caring about other people first.--Espically people that could not help them achieve their goals (the middle class ring a bell?).

The rich people, as a whole, that we elect to do the best things for us---really don't care about us. What do we expect? You cant get in their country club either--unless your serving them. Hillery Clinton is a extreem example of this I believe--but most follow suit. They are all friends people. It is not a country club--but it is a big club---and your not in it. (George Carlin).

More evidence.
    PBS showed a film called "Warren and Bill go back to school" (I could have the names backwards--but call your local PBS for it). Bill Gates and Warren Buffet visited, what I believe, was Harvord University, for a question and answer session. One student asked Warren what he tought of a "flat rate tax". Part of Warrens answer was---and he ought to know

I QOUTE WARREN BUFFET word for word--I only had to hear it once.

"I could have lived most of my adult life, and not paid one dime in federal income taxes. This country caters to the rich very well,---and it's not fair".

Word for word ladies and gentelman, and it is very true. You know it, and I know it.

Campaign contibutions?---there is not a better way to open up the door for corruption, and insures we only have a small % of the elite population to choose from to ruin this country for us and our children (OK--I played the children card--but this time, it is true, and not a mask for another agenda).

The answer (or a possibility to grow with). Why can't we just go to the secretary of state, and prove we are a living citizen any way we could, that is reliable. Then we get a voter searial number, that is used just for that voting term. Now, it is voting time. We then have a 6 month approx long show (long enough to show true colors) with nothing but debates like a tournament. we vote them off with our serial number (can not be duplicated). You don't have to be rich to run--but i guarantee you we will end up with sharp people that care about the freedoms and rights that made this country what it used to be.

Bottom lione--if we can change the way we vote, so a person doesn not have to be a multi millionaire/billionaire to have a shot of winning (anybody can run--only rich win)---then we will see a government for the people by the people again. I am throughly convineced that voting is nothing more than a huge inconvience to many of our elected officials.

don't get me wrong--I don't hate rich people. I don't hate corporations that built this country's middle class, and way of life. I hope to be one of those guys someday. But the greed is taking over--at the people expense today. If we want a future for free generations of people who can work to greatness for the country, man kind, and for themselfs--we have to stop electing rich see-suckers who don't care about us. It is a fact folks---they don't care about us as a whole--unless they can get something from us----like more taxes.

I say we start a petition to change the voting system so other people from other levels of economics has a equal shot of winning. All we need is "balance"

That's right!
    Your defense of terrorists is chilling. Why don't you go blow them, then.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

theMAJORITY - well said.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome, theMajority...

Tell us how you found the site...

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I do want to point out that this bill hasn't passed in the Senate yet (as far as I know). There is still time to write letters to your senators urging them to vote it down. I want to keep my right to revolt without being labeled a terrorist.

Only 6 members in the house voted against this bill. One of them was Dr. Ron Paul, who also voted against the Patriot Act. Hmmm... Either A), as Watermark would say, he is in league with the terrorists, or, B) he is actually voting for the people's rights. I'd go with 'B.'