Page 692 of 1035 FirstFirst ... 192592642682688689690691692693694695696702742792 ... LastLast
Results 10,366 to 10,380 of 15524

Thread: What Song Are You Listening To, Right Now?

1. #10366 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Money Dolla View Post
    No even back then. They never considered or called themselves a punk band. They influenced many later pop punk bands, but were not themselves a punk band.
    Then how come when I saw them at St. Andrews they were talking about punk and fucking up the lyrics to their own songs?
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

2. #10367 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,136 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 154 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    Then how come when I saw them at St. Andrews they were talking about punk and fucking up the lyrics to their own songs?

Can't tell you, but they aren't considered a punk band.

3. #10368 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

"There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #10369 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,171 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

The kinks were not a punk band.

I beg to differ. Punk was not a defined genre in the 60's. In fact, it was only named as a genre in the 70's by radio DJ's across the nation that started pinning the label on bands like The Ramones, the stooges, Patty Smith, The Runaways etc.

Having that said, Before punk rock, there was punk rock. Before that, there was punk rock. And if you dig further, there was punk rock. The punk impulse and attitude (“You don’t need permission for anything,” Johnny Rotten once posited) is as old as time itself. Even if you go back to the 50's, Link Ray, a rock instrumentalist could even be considered Punk Rock by those same standards applied to the groups those same DJ's of the 70's referred to as Punk Rockers or having that Punk feel and style.

As a collector of one of the largest collections of 60's Garage Band records, I can say that I have hundreds of records of bands from that era and genre that would be considered PUNK Rockers by today's standards for Punk Rock! And out of all of those bands the Kinks were probably the most famous and with the most records sold from that era because of their popularity and airtime play and/or success in the charts.

Granted! Most Punk Bands had no records in the charts, however even Sid Vicious and the Sex Pistols had a hit or two.

So who are you going to believe- ME or WIckedpedia? LOL!

You better stick with me! As I actually lived that era, and was part of the Garage Band scene of the 60's and 70's- still actually! LOL!

YES THE KINKS WERE SOME OF THE BEST PUNK ROCKERS EVER- AND THERE IS NOT A PUNK BAND EVER THAT HAS NOT listed THE KINKS AS AN EXAMPLE OF WHO PERSONALLY AND MAJORLY INFLUENCED THEM.

Thanks for your reply- and a chance to get my 2cents thrown out there!

You cannot discount the Kinks just because they had several records that reached the top 40 either- BECAUSE EVEN THE RAMONES had hits that charted.

ROCK ON!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 03-05-2021 at 12:06 PM.

5. #10370 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I beg to differ. Punk was not a defined genre in the 60's. In fact, it was only named as a genre in the 70's by radio DJ's across the nation that started pinning the label on bands like The Ramones, the stooges, Patty Smith, The Runaways etc.

Having that said, Before punk rock, there was punk rock. Before that, there was punk rock. And if you dig further, there was punk rock. The punk impulse and attitude (“You don’t need permission for anything,” Johnny Rotten once posited) is as old as time itself. Even if you go back to the 50's, Link Ray, a rock instrumentalist could even be considered Punk Rock by those same standards applied to the groups those same DJ's of the 70's referred to as Punk Rockers or having that Punk feel and style.

As a collector of one of the largest collections of 60's Garage Band records, I can say that I have hundreds of records of bands from that era and genre that would be considered PUNK Rockers by today's standards for Punk Rock! And out of all of those bands the Kinks were probably the most famous and with the most records sold from that era because of their popularity and airtime play and/or success in the charts.

Granted! Most Punk Bands had no records in the charts, however even Sid Vicious and the Sex Pistols had a hit or two.

You better stick with me! As I actually lived that era, and was part of the Garage Band scene of the 60's and 70's- still actually! LOL!

YES THE KINKS WERE SOME OF THE BEST PUNK ROCKERS EVER- AND THERE IS NOT A PUNK BAND EVER THAT HAS NOT listed THE KINKS AS AN EXAMPLE OF WHO PERSONALLY AND MAJORLY INFLUENCED THEM.

You cannot discount the Kinks just because they had several records that reached the top 40 either- BECAUSE EVEN THE RAMONES had hits that charted.

ROCK ON!

As I stated, proto-punk for sure, Also I can name thousands of bands who would not list them as an influence. The sex pistols were a fake (and the first) boy band playing punk sure its classic etc, but cocksparer who was promised the promotion of the sex pistols was screwed over by mclaren and the label, hence thier famous song "take em all". but these bands caooled themselves, punk, oi, etc. the kinks did not. while you may find musical similarities as to what became punk, the kinks were not a punk band. it's interesting you say "garage bands" which is what it was looked back then in the 60-70's that today we call proto-punk.

why kind of record player you got?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Underdog For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (03-05-2021)

7. #10371 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

As I stated, proto-punk for sure, Also I can name thousands of bands who would not list them as an influence. The sex pistols were a fake (and the first) boy band playing punk sure its classic etc, but cocksparer who was promised the promotion of the sex pistols was screwed over by mclaren and the label, hence thier famous song "take em all". but these bands caooled themselves, punk, oi, etc. the kinks did not. while you may find musical similarities as to what became punk, the kinks were not a punk band. it's interesting you say "garage bands" which is what it was looked back then in the 60-70's that today we call proto-punk.

Hey Thanks! I agree! The Kinks were instant Pop stars from the get-go! The Kinks are what is referred to mostly in the record and music world as a British Invasion Band- to slot them accurately as their hits were right up there with the Beatles and Stones at the same time.

My reference to them being a punk band was all about their onstage presence, dress, attitude, and snot-nose vocals!, and what this band could do with just 3 simple bar or even raw 5 chords!

I've had many turntables over the years- even had a couple of Technics SL1200's back in the day when I was a live DJ. Today, I use a couple of Stanton's I bought at Guitar Center. and I still use me old ALESIS mixer- which works great for back to back play!

And I also use a portable record player that I take with me everywhere I dig for vinyl gold!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 03-05-2021 at 01:41 PM.

8. #10372 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

ROCK ON!
    Awesome, I would say they were a form of punk, as were the animals & a few others.. @ that time it certainly lived in many of the garage bands around the country, although many minus the cheezy leather trappings etc....

Now listen to this..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

9. #10373 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Interesting conversation: I hope to be hearing many examples soon....

10. #10374 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hey Thanks! I agree! The Kinks were instant Pop stars from the get-go! The Kinks are what is referred to mostly in the record and music world as a British Invasion Band- to slot them accurately as their hits were right up there with the Beatles and Stones at the same time.

I've had many turntables over the years- even had a couple of Technics SL1200's back in the day when I was a live DJ. Today, I use a couple of Stanton's I bought at Guitar Center. and I still use me old ALESIS mixer- which works great for back to back play!

And I also use a portable record player that I take with me everywhere I dig for vinyl gold!

Nice. I have an sl1200 with a great NOS v 15 Type IV stylus in our main living room, up in my office, I have a Rega P3 with a goldring 1042 and other upgrades. etc, I have been collecting punk, oi! and ska records ince I was 9. lol

Thats the thing with the kinks, it was way too main stream to really be part of that "punk vibe", great stuff, but an influence not explicitly the genre.

11. #10375 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Interesting conversation: I hope to be hearing many examples soon....

Great example of early punk/Oi! Oi! came about due to the attempts of commercialization of punk rock, this band was supposed to be the sex pistols but EMI went and created the sex pistols put together by Mclaren, and turned his back on cocksparrer, hence the lyrics to this song.

12. #10376 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Nice, what year??

13. #10377 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nice. I have an sl1200 with a great NOS v 15 Type IV stylus in our main living room, up in my office, I have a Rega P3 with a goldring 1042 and other upgrades. etc, I have been collecting punk, oi! and ska records ince I was 9. lol

Thats the thing with the kinks, it was way too main stream to really be part of that "punk vibe", great stuff, but an influence not explicitly the genre.
    Yes, another band from that era that had hits up in the charts that had that Punk vibe- but basically were Psychedelic Rock pioneers from the 60's. But, they are said to be pre-punkers by many punks stars and are credited by them as an influence. Of course they had to be de-toxed and sobered up and calmed down a bit for their American Bandstand performance, but they were actually pretty wild and loose as a live band back then.

And actually Arthur Lee had some Punk-ish records out with his own band throughout the 70's.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Underdog (03-05-2021)

15. #10378 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Awesome, I would say they were a form of punk, as were the animals & a few others.. @ that time it certainly lived in many of the garage bands around the country, although many minus the cheezy leather trappings etc....

Now listen to this..
    OH YES SIR! Not many other bands as punk-ish as the Sonics and the 13th Floor Elevators.

16. #10379 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Underdog (03-05-2021)

18. #10380 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, another band from that era that had hits up in the charts that had that Punk vibe- but basically were Psychedelic Rock pioneers from the 60's. But, they are said to be pre-punkers by many punks stars and are credited by them as an influence. Of course they had to be de-toxed and sobered up and calmed down a bit for their American Bandstand performance, but they were actually pretty wild and loose as a live band back then.

And actually Arthur Lee had some Punk-ish records out with his own band throughout the 70's.

The real interesting thing there is the guitar, the droning, which I love. can almost hear a dead Kennedy's vibe from the guitar.